I know it sound gross but......

Options
2»

Replies

• amylouize2012
    amylouize2012 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    At best you're ruining your bowel's ability to operate (unless removing good bacteria necessary for digestion from your body is considered a good idea). At worst, you'll end up dead through a perforated bowel.

I'd only get one if a colorectal surgeon advised me to do it.

Jeez I never even thought of that, scary!!
  • amylouize2012
    Options
    heard it's great!

Really? Was that by reading or through some one who had it done?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    At best you're ruining your bowel's ability to operate (unless removing good bacteria necessary for digestion from your body is considered a good idea). At worst, you'll end up dead through a perforated bowel.

One of my friends is a surgeon in a London hospital and lost a patient who'd been brought in after a colonic irrigation went wrong resulting in septicemia.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    If you really feel like you want to do something, try an abdominal massage instead. It is what it says on the tin; they massage you, and a couple of hours later, you will be on the toilet. My mum has had it done a couple of times and thinks it's fantastic.

Personally, I still don't think it's necessary, but it's a lot less harmful than a sticking a jetwash up your rectum.
  • amylouize2012
    Options

One of my friends is a surgeon in a London hospital and lost a patient who'd been brought in after a colonic irrigation went wrong resulting in septicemia.

OMG, that's it decided, I'm definitely giving it a miss!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

OMG, that's it decided, I'm definitely giving it a miss!

Good. :) If you feel the need to detox, just drink your daily dose of water. Let your body detox naturally. If you have IBS/Crohn's/Colitis see your doctor, not a hosepipe attendant. :-D
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    unless you are going to scrape your tongue and brush your teeth immediately after you chew and spit I would expect some remnants of food, and therefore calories would be still in your mouth and be digested when you next swallow. your mouth would be already producing amylase so your saliva would break down some carbs for digestion, as said by a previous poster too. a bad idea in every way if you ask me. a little of what you fancy, eaten slowly and logged is ok.
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Save your money and just go for a dump yourself, the body is design to clean itself, otherwise we'd all be dead from ruptured colons, and last time I check mines still intatced
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    sorry my previous post was meant as a reply to a topic about chewing your food and spitting it out instead of swallowing, to save calories. apologies
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound crazy, but I think eating at a healthy calorie deficit, balancing your macros, including enough fiber and micros through diet, and exercising is what you should do instead.

However, I know that's not cool and sexy.

But colonics sound very cool and extremely sexy, so what do I know.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband has done it because he has Crohn's disease. But I think there are easier ways for those of us without GI issues, like extra fiber + water.