jogging...good for weight loss or just heart health?

Options
mrsjamison85
mrsjamison85 Posts: 5
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
Ive been Jogging on a trail for a while now atleast two miles 4 days a week. dont get me wrong it makes me feel good but havent seen much results. its jogging only good for cardiovascular health?

Replies

• fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Anything that gets your heart in the target burning zone is going to burn calories and therefor make you lose weight if you are eating less than you are burning.
    Stick with it and take a look at your diet if you aren't seeing results. Maybe think of getting a HRM to wear on your runs.
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Well, it also burns calories (quite a lot of calories compared to some other forms of exercise) which helps you keep a deficit, which in turn helps you lose weight. But if you are eating more than you burn, no amount of running will make you lose weight.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    1) You've lost 5 lbs since you started here, this month. That's not good results? I think you may need to reassess what healthy weight loss looks like, 5 pounds in a month is great.

2) Jogging burns calories, so it increases your deficit, but you can't outrun a bad diet. Your diary isn't open, so I can't give you any specific advice, but make sure you log everything you eat. Weight loss happens in the kitchen; the running or other exercise can add to it, but it won't do it by itself.

3) If you are active and exercising, especially if you do some sort of resistance training as well, you will look much better when you get to your goal weight. So jogging is good for more than just heart health, even if it doesn't cause the weight loss by itself. Diet to look good clothed, exercise (even lift) to look good naked.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    its one of the best things to do!!
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    How long since you started, and what sort of results are you looking for? I'm no pro, but I can share my experience:

Running/jogging has totally amped my weight loss. My weight loss has been sloooooow (17# over two years, ish), but steady and in the right direction. Since I started training for a half marathon, my rate of weight loss has without a doubt increased.

If you've been at it for a few months and have been eating back your exercise calories, perhaps consider investing in a heart rate monitor (HRM). MyFitnessPal's estimates can be spot on.... and they can be way off. Everyone burns calories differently, but a HRM should help you better understand what you can put back in your body after a good job. I highly recommend Polar's FT4. Midrange as far as price goes, but by far the best bang for your buck.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Go plant yourself at the finish line of a race and look at the bodies of the people who finish in the top 10 and you tell me.

Also, at most you're probably burning about a total of 800 calories a week doing that. That isn't very much.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    ^^^ what mathjulz said!

With about 30 pounds to lose (per your ticker), you need to come to terms with the fact that somewhere between 1/2 and 1 pound a week is what you want to lose. I know it seems like putting in all that work should mean the weight just drops off but that's neither realistic or healthy. Only those who are morbidly obese can easily lose 2 pounds or moreper week without healthy problems.

So, be proud of the 5 pounds you've lost so far! That's a fantastic accomplishment!!

Also, as others stated above, you can't out"run" a bad diet. If you're eating too much or even not eating enough, your weight loss will not go as you planned. Set your weekly weight loss goal and activitly levels correctly. Eat back at least half of earned calories, and drink at least those 8 cups of water a day, if not 10-12.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Well, it also burns calories (quite a lot of calories compared to some other forms of exercise) which helps you keep a deficit, which in turn helps you lose weight. But if you are eating more than you burn, no amount of running will make you lose weight.

Alternatively, if you are not eating enough to fuel the running, it's one of the fastest ways to burn through your lean muscle tissue. You must eat to lose fat only while running a lot.

But yeah... 2 miles at a stretch is only good. No need to really eat more for that. That's a 200-calorie burn... maybe.
  • mrsjamison85
    Options
    thank yall for the input. Do any of yall(yes i say yall im from oklahoma) tried the hiphop abs from shaun t?
  • mrsjamison85
    Options
    I think thats a problem i have also..setting unrealistic goals and not drinkin enough water
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options

But yeah... 2 miles at a stretch is only good. No need to really eat more for that. That's a 200-calorie burn... maybe.

That all depends on her weight, pace, and the difficulty of the route. Saying it is only "maybe" 200 calories is a bit arbitrary. My 3.25 mile run this morning for example was 400+ calories.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    thank yall for the input. Do any of yall(yes i say yall im from oklahoma) tried the hiphop abs from shaun t?

Haven't tried hip hop abs, but if it's Shaun T, I'd trust it! I've done Insanity and T25, LOVE them both. No joke if you put in the effort. Adding another routine to your jogging habit may help you see results faster... or at least, make you feel stronger and more positive about your experience so far :)
This discussion has been closed.