Bum hurt after spinning

Options
iceey
iceey Posts: 354 Member
I'm a spinning noob and I did my first spinning class on Monday. It's Friday and my bum and *ahem* "general area" are actually bruised and still hurt. I enjoyed the class and thought I adjusted the seat and was sitting properly. Is this pain temporary and will I "toughen up" if I keep going? Or am I in for a painful cootchie for as long as I bike?

Replies

• freshstart14
    freshstart14 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Haha, this is honestly the worst part about getting into spinning. For me, at least, it gets better as you spin more often. I went last week after a few weeks off and I still didn't feel any pain. Don't let it discourage you! A lot of times it depends on the type of class the instructor is running.. for me, a lot of fast sprints and up and down into and out of the seat makes it worse. Next time try to "land" more gently when going from standing to sitting, even though that is so hard to focus on when you're in the middle of a tough workout.

Good luck!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I've never been to a spinning class, but I have biked a lot outside.

You should get yourself some real biking shorts. Don't skimp out, as they do vary in quality.

And watch for numbness you feel in your nether regions--for men, there is some fairly unequivocal evidence that spending a lot of time in the saddle can lead to erectile dysfunction. Sexual dysfunction hasn't been studied extensively in women bikers, but I would not be surprised if it turns out to be a similar problem in women.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    Options
    If it's anything like the bruises I got after I started my walking program, they're probably temporary. My legs were covered in bruises for seemingly no reason for a couple weeks, but it was from the impact of walking for longer periods of time, and they eventually went away (mostly). If you weren't in any real pain during the actual workout, it's probably just from your body not being used to it.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Yup, I feel your pain OP! It gets better, don't worry. Took me about a week or two of spin before that area grew accustomed and I stopped feeling any discomfort.
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, it's temporary. A few weeks of classes and it'll go away. I spin a few times a week and it doesn't hurt at all any more (apart from the muscle soreness obv.).
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Spin bike seats are crap, but not much you can do about it. If you want to continue spinning, invest in a good pair of cycling shorts (with padding). You butt also gets used to it. I always thought this was a lie but it's true. Your *kitten* will toughen up over time. As far as your lady bits, make sure you tilt your pelvis under so you aren't resting on your junk. Try to balance your weight between your butt and your arms. It's tough at first but it is fabulous for your core.

I think spinning is and excellent workout for weight loss and cardio health. I hope you love it!
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I've been getting into cycling .. took me 4 or 5 rides to get used to it.

The chafing on the other hand .. still uncomfortable.
  • Cheeky_0102
    Cheeky_0102 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    i don't spin often, but i do long cycling events with my sister... like 4-10 hours. The group has a whole "war wounds" culture, and really it can hurt, but after training a little i only really start to feel if after an hour or so.
    I invested in good padded shorts. They were about $70 at the local store
  • nightengale7
    nightengale7 Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I have this problem with stationary bikes as well, thought it was just me, lol. I guess I need to invest in a good pair of shorts!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i always feel a little sore afterwards, but it usually wears away after a bit. there's a lady in my spin class who brings a gel cover for the bike seat. not a bad idea.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    I've been getting into cycling .. took me 4 or 5 rides to get used to it.

The chafing on the other hand .. still uncomfortable.

Chamois butter. It's a life saver.
  • cwsikes
    cwsikes Posts: 86
    Options
    TITS (time in the saddle), good bike shorts, adjusting the bike so that you are sitting on it correctly, weight loss, and some kind of skin protectant (chamois cream, aquaphor, really even petroleum jelly) will all have the possibility to make saddle time more comfy. You just have to figure out what combination of solutions will work for you.

My longest ride has been a 12 hour ride so I've learned what I need to do to sit for a long time on a bike. Even with that though, I still make sure to get my butt off the seat every 20 mins or so just to let the blood flow freely again for a few seconds. You don't even have to stand up, just hover your butt for a few seconds.
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Lower the seat/saddle. A lot of cycling problems in that area are caused by the seat/saddle being too high, and when people ride bikes they usually have the saddle too high as well. When you're peddling/spinning with the seat too high, as one of your legs are extended, at the bottom of the spin, then the saddle will dig into your butt area and this will make your lower back rock back and fore as you're turning the peddles. When people have a proper fit on their bikes they are usually surprised as to how much lower the saddle must be compared to what they think it should be.
  • FitWarrior7
    FitWarrior7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Switch instructors, and get one that has you standing the majority of the class. Climbs are great in the saddle but nobody wants climbs the whole time. But I imagine you will toughen up after a few more classes in that "area". Don't let the bruises discourage you.
  • sillygoosie
    Options
    Lower the seat/saddle. A lot of cycling problems in that area are caused by the seat/saddle being too high, and when people ride bikes they usually have the saddle too high as well. When you're peddling/spinning with the seat too high, as one of your legs are extended, at the bottom of the spin, then the saddle will dig into your butt area and this will make your lower back rock back and fore as you're turning the peddles. When people have a proper fit on their bikes they are usually surprised as to how much lower the saddle must be compared to what they think it should be.

I'm not going to really disagree with this but the majority of people I see whether it be spinning or cycling, have their seats too low. Your leg should be fully extended on your downstroke without your knee locking out. A good instructor should make sure you have your bike properly set up. Nothing kills me more than seeing people kiss their knees while riding.
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You need to gain tolerance to saddle soreness. You will need to ditch the classes for around 2 or 3 weeks. Use a stationary cycle in the gym, and build up tolerance daily, or as often as you can. You can speed up the process by cycling sooner than you think you can, if you follow. Once you can cycle for 30 to 60 minutes daily, without problems, you will be ready to re-start spinning classes.

It's not just you; everyone has to build up tolerance! :)
  • Jenlwb
    Jenlwb Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Remember that fairy tale- The Princess and the Pea? That's totally me. I have padded shorts AND a gel saddle, and still I get bruised, my sit bones especially hurt for a couple of days. But after a few goes it's not so bad.

Keep at it, and don't spend lots of money on such accessories, they don't solve the problem completely!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have found that it's my actual sit bones that hurt- not so my lady bits.

But either way- the more I have done it- it just gets better with time.

I haven't invested in shorts- shoes to me are a better investment right (now) but I'm not a die hard spinner- I go maybe once a week and spin on my own maybe 1-2 times for 30 minutes.

mostly it's just saddle time I found.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    oh have some bum pleasure.
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Also time in the saddle indoors but not on the road will hurt more. You don't naturally move around so much. So change up your position consciously. Shift forward and back a little.

But yes, as others have said - you'll acclimatise.