Damaged Veteran, need some advice

Options
Okay, so I've posted a couple times on the forums here, but nothing major. So this post is a combination introduction and request for assistance as far as specific exercises go.

I am a 7 year veteran of the US Army. I was medically discharged in 2002 due to a broken back and wrist. Long story short, I'd taken a nasty fall during training and snapped the vertebrae L4 and L5. After recovering from this I was diagnosed with Degenerative Disc Disease in the L5/L6 disc. Additionally I had damaged my right TFCC (Triangular Fibrocartilage Complex, or the "wrist meniscus") severely in that fall by landing on it wrong. This required surgery.

Prior to joining the Army I weighed 145 lbs., I have been 5' 9" since my junior year in high school, and was a cross country runner throughout my high school career (I was a twig then). After I joined I bulked up to 185 during Basic and AIT due to the simple fact that the Army is the Army. At this point I was very proud of my physique. I was lean and cut and loved it. Around my second year in the Army I was introduced to Racquetball, and from that point forward I was hooked. I would spend 3 hours in the morning, an hour at lunch, and another 3-4 hours on the court every day except weekends. I lost about 15 pounds of bulk because I switched from weights and running to purely racquetball and running. I stayed at around 170-175 for the rest of my time in the army until I took the fall.

After the fall, the surgery on my wrist nullified my ability to continue playing racquetball for the rest of my life due to the strains that swinging the racquet puts on the TFCC. The fact that I was bed-ridden for a few months after the fall caused me to jump up to 220 lbs. At this point I was medically discharged for failure to be able to complete the Physical Training Test requirements because I could no longer run, nor perform a quality push-up.

Nutshell, I gave up worrying about my body at this point. I felt let down by it, I mean I put all that work into it and it caused me pain, heart-ache, and worst of all my job as a soldier. I stopped caring and focused on my new career as a civilian.

Skip ahead 11 years, as of January 2013, I weighed 294 lbs. I have a 50" gut, and a 19" neck. I wear 42" waist pants, so my belly hangs over very obviously. You see my profile picture. I'm not happy.

So I took a challenge from my 10 year old son, "Dad, fat guys die early. I don't want you to die until you're old and cranky, like Papa." (I love my son LOL). So I cut out drinking regular Mountain Dew. I switched to diet. I didn't touch the scale again until the end of June. I had dropped from 294 to 278 in 5 months by simply switching to diet Mt. Dew. Err?!

"I can do this." This is the thought I've had repeating in my head since then.

July 3rd, 2013 I went and purchased a mountain bike with a frame that could handle my weight. My wife gave me permission to splurge on a Specialized $1,200 rock-hopper full suspension frame if I can make it to 220 Lbs. July 4th, my independence day, I went for my first ride on a mountain bike since 1996.

I made it around the block.

This angered me.

So I got better, each day pushing just that much more.

It's been almost 2 months now. I've gone from 276 on July 6th to my current weight of 261.8 as of my last weigh-in on the 23rd. I ride an average of 7 miles a day. My longest ride so far was last Thursday at 17.4 miles in 1 hour and 40 minutes. I've seen my doctor and dietitian multiple times during this, and I'm no longer ashamed of my body because I'm fixing it. I'm feeling great every day and no longer lethargic at work. My pants no longer fit properly (my belly hasn't shrunk yet, but oh well LOL), and have fallen off already once in the hospital where I work, to the enjoyment and mirth of my co-workers, but that mishap also garnered congratulations which embarrassed me more than showing my boxers to the world (I happened to be wearing my Fluttershy boxers at the time; those who know, you're awesome. Those who don't will google it I'm sure).

That's my introduction, now for my question. Concerning my aforementioned wrist injury, push-ups and pull-ups still hurt. Very much so. However, I would like to work more than my cardio and legs now that I'm getting better. Weights, resistance, etc I would love to do. However, I attempted push-ups last night, and my wrist screamed at me from the 90 degree angle it is placed in when doing a proper military push-up. I do not own a weight bench, nor am I willing to pay a gym membership just to be judged by someone who knows nothing of my situation. I'm a firm believer that the human body can get cut and lean using itself as the resistance. The problem is that mine can't handle the strain on my wrist.

That said, should I simply wait until I've gotten to a lighter self so as not to strain my wrist as much, or is there something I can use to straighten my hand into a more ergo-position and still do push-ups? If I can do the push-ups, I'll be happy. I cut and leaned myself with a regime of Push-ups, abdominals and running in the Army. I can do it with Push-ups, abdominals and riding as a civilian. But not if my wrist puts me in tears simply because I leaned on it ...

Can anyone help with some thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thank you!

-Papa Bear

Replies

• Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Wow what a story. Good for you for taking control and changing your life.

I was doing an exercise video the other day with push ups and it said to ease some stress in the wrists to do them with hour hands raised up like holding a dumbbell. I am sure you could just do this on blocks. Alternatively a long time ago a friend who was a personal trainer had her trainee (is that the right word) start with push ups standing up and facing a wall and pushing away from the wall. Eventually she worked up to floor push ups. It would relieve some weight from your wrists I should think.

Good luck with your new fit life.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Wow. Killer story. Good for you for looking for solutions...

Would these work? My husband has some. He prefers them to pushups on the floor:

perfect-pushup.jpg

perfect_pushup.gif

Or, when I used to train in kickboxing, we'd use hand wraps like this:

hw-11.jpg

... and do push-ups on our knuckles... which I actually found easier for the same wrist reason you mention. But mine have no injury; they just don't want to hit a 90 degree.
  • swpguy
    swpguy Posts: 15
    Options
    While it's not really a cardio exercise an alternative to the push ups might be planks. Before I started my recent lifestyle 'adjustment' I always thought planks were for sissy-types who couldn't handle push ups. I have a had a MAJOR attitude change. It's a great core exercise. As for cardio when my knee and ankle couldn't handle any jumping I would squat down a few degrees with my feet shoulder width apart and shadowbox. That would definatley get my heart rate up while my better half was doing jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, etc...
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Skip ahead 11 years, as of January 2013, I weighed 294 lbs. I have a 50" gut, and a 19" neck. I wear 42" waist pants, so my belly hangs over very obviously. You see my profile picture. I'm not happy.

:-) I did worse than you, amigo.

I ETS's at when I was 33 (8 years enlisted and commissioned) at 6' 1" and 189 pounds, did nothing between 1989 and 2010 and weighed in at 295 with a 52" chest (thank you for the pecks 82nd Airborne!), a 46" waist, and a 18 1/2" neck. Ugh.

Exercise - elliptical only until I was about 220.
    Numerous sources cite a 3 times load factor on your knees when you run - for us, that would mean we would be putting almost 1/2 ton on each knee every time we took a step running. No way.

Wrist pain doing pushups? Don't do that. Pushups are a very demanding exercise and, at your weight, you're putting a lot of pressure on all of your joints. You can reduce the pressure by doing pushups on your knees, perhaps? What about Googling "alternatives to pushups"?

Another thought - do you have someone else you can workout with? During OCS most of our exercises were working with a buddy (yeh, we also did stuff like lift chunks of telephone poles! ;-) ) and it was a superb way to get in shape.

Thanks to diet and exercise, I'm 56 and I can wear my Army greens from when I was 33 years old.

Stay focused and you'll get there, too.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    My goodness PapaBear... that was a long write up!
    Ok, first... Thank you for your service! :flowerforyou: Your sacrifice is appreciated. (I'm also a vet btw) I'm sorry to hear about the injuries you sustained while serving.

Now to address your issue and I'm gonna be straight here.
    Accept your limitations and put this awesome motivation you have to use doing something other than push-ups.

I understand wanting to prove to yourself that you can do it, however, this.... "But not if my wrist puts me in tears simply because I leaned on it ... " is where your reality sets in.

Your eating is the biggest weapon in your arsenal right now.
    As for your exercise, you can get lean/cut, and where you want to be, but you have to embrace the truth that at this time, you can't rely on the push-up regime the way you did then.

You can get back to where you're comfortable and you can do it without push-ups. Please, spend a little time finding alternatives,(something you can get excited about) and a little less time hurting yourself by trying to do an exercise that brings you to tears. That is not the way.
  • redcon1228
    Options
    Agree with others, no pushups until your weght is much lower. Planking for core strength maybe, as long as your wrist can sustain.

You bought a bike and love cyling. Do that- it is joint friendly aerobic exercise, and it's enjoyable to you. Start building the miles, upping the cadence, and just riding the p*ss out of that bike. You might find when you get to your goal weight, you don't want a FS MTB, but rather a road bike.

My knees are shot from my service and I can no longer run without severe pain. Yet I can cycle all day plus, have done several double-centuries and countless multiple-day trips with many miles on these now-old legs and knees, LOL

Good luck solider!
  • BubbaBriggs
    BubbaBriggs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Very quick update to this. I found some things that are helping! Awesome: I got to build them with my bare hands! I got to be all manly man while doing this. Unga! UH! *Thumps chest*

Based on Mrsbigmack's post and the advice the rest of you have given, I went and did some searching. The biggest problem I saw with the bars to get you off the 90 degree bend in the wrist, is all of them have a very small (like 1/2 - 3/4" diameter). This puts a lot of pressure right on the nerve bundle coming through the wrist, adding a whole 'nother dimension to the problems.

So I built a set of pushup bars with a diameter of 1.5" inches, which is a perfect fit for my gorilla hands. I've been using this for a few days now, and it's not hurting my hands or wrists at all ... that isn't to say that I'm not in pain ... I've not done a proper pushup in 13 years ... I'm freaking sore and can only manage about 10 of them right now. But it's a good pain. The type that let's you know that you did something good.

So adding to that thought process I did some more searching on what else I can do with the wonder that is PVC.

OH

MY

GOD!

I found this evil thing of a torture device. It's an 8 foot piece of 3" PVC. Capped, and filled 75% with water. Weight: 42 pounds.

Nothing right?

HA!

Pick this monstrosity up and hold it in the middle above your head and keep it balanced. *maniacal giggling* This thing sloshes around that water, which torques to one side or the other depending on your ability to keep the thing level. This internal sloshing pulls you in one direction, forcing you to compensate to the other. There is so much you can do with this seemingly simple stick of water.

I'm nuts right? yeah, probably.

Hold it against your chest in the middle and cross your arms over the pipe and level it. Then walk.

Again, simple.

NOT!

This thing is a beast and I'm loving it. I'm sore, but it's a freaking blast getting the looks from the neighbors as Hercules over here is carrying this freaking 8 foot pipe up the road and flopping back and forth.

I'll get you guys some pics later tonight. Google "Slosh Pipe" and enjoy! I'll get plans up for both the pipe and the pushup bars I built sometime in the next cay or so.

I'm off to play viking again with my big stick!
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Excellent update! Take care of yourself...
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Very quick update to this. I found some things that are helping! Awesome: I got to build them with my bare hands! I got to be all manly man while doing this. Unga! UH! *Thumps chest*

Based on Mrsbigmack's post and the advice the rest of you have given, I went and did some searching. The biggest problem I saw with the bars to get you off the 90 degree bend in the wrist, is all of them have a very small (like 1/2 - 3/4" diameter). This puts a lot of pressure right on the nerve bundle coming through the wrist, adding a whole 'nother dimension to the problems.

So I built a set of pushup bars with a diameter of 1.5" inches, which is a perfect fit for my gorilla hands. I've been using this for a few days now, and it's not hurting my hands or wrists at all ... that isn't to say that I'm not in pain ... I've not done a proper pushup in 13 years ... I'm freaking sore and can only manage about 10 of them right now. But it's a good pain. The type that let's you know that you did something good.

So adding to that thought process I did some more searching on what else I can do with the wonder that is PVC.

OH

MY

GOD!

I found this evil thing of a torture device. It's an 8 foot piece of 3" PVC. Capped, and filled 75% with water. Weight: 42 pounds.

Nothing right?

HA!

Pick this monstrosity up and hold it in the middle above your head and keep it balanced. *maniacal giggling* This thing sloshes around that water, which torques to one side or the other depending on your ability to keep the thing level. This internal sloshing pulls you in one direction, forcing you to compensate to the other. There is so much you can do with this seemingly simple stick of water.

I'm nuts right? yeah, probably.

Hold it against your chest in the middle and cross your arms over the pipe and level it. Then walk.

Again, simple.

NOT!

This thing is a beast and I'm loving it. I'm sore, but it's a freaking blast getting the looks from the neighbors as Hercules over here is carrying this freaking 8 foot pipe up the road and flopping back and forth.

I'll get you guys some pics later tonight. Google "Slosh Pipe" and enjoy! I'll get plans up for both the pipe and the pushup bars I built sometime in the next cay or so.

I'm off to play viking again with my big stick!

Love it. You are a monster. One of the most motivating posts I have read here.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The writ problems you described made me think that a TRX suspension trainer may be what you're looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmhI_8wlm8I