Runners who used to be seriously unfit - how did you do it?

Options
123457»

Replies

• SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    You like the idea of long solitary runs outside...so why are you pounding the treadmill in a hot stale gym?

Get outside and just run. Slow down (as already said!) but juts do it. I went out, did 10mins, came home. Did that a couple of times until I felt comfortable with my breathing and the 10mins, then tried 15mins Same again, two or three runs at that, make sure it's comfortable, then up it to 20 mins.

Now I do 45mins to 1 hr once a week, and 20-30mins 3-4 times a week.

Just get outside and run!

Yes you are so right - and thanks for the great advice - I like the idea of just doing 10 or 15 mins then coming home. My plans for outdoor running are probably too grandiose for my abilities - I see myself running to the park, round the park then back home. I know I can't do that so I stick to the treadmill. Even running round my block non-stop would be an achievement for me.

Sorry for us going on about outdoor running! If you are comfortable doing it on a treadmill, then do it on a treadmill. Most important thing is that you are running - 30 or 60 seconds at a time is absolutely fine. Do it, enjoy it, and keep at it! We're all cheering you on :smile:
  • wannaberunner33
    wannaberunner33 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why does it I feel like a total failure if I have to walk a little? I am up to running for a mile and then walking for 2 minutes and then joggin another mile. My pace is slow (13:00/min mile). I just feel like I need to get my heart rate down some before I can continue. Should I just keep doing this and reduce the walking time to 1 1/2 minute then reduce again to 1 min and down till the walk is eliminated? OR Maybe a 10 minute run: 1 minute walk repeated several times? Any suggestions for how to proceed? Thanks to all you runner graduates with all your wisdom to share.
  • regirom
    regirom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • mona_patty
    Options
    I started running when I was 190 lbs, I was out of shape, it took me 2 1/2 months to finally run 2 miles straight! The following month I ran my 1st 5k race, did it in 42 min. then the following month I did 5k in 36 min. I kept breaking my records. I would run about 3x a week and walk in between. My walks would be between 3 to 5 miles.

I think 1st you have to be able to walk for 1 hour which I was doing. I started to add 1 minutes runs to my walking and kept increasing it. It also helps that you do squats and lunges to strengthen your legs. And I noticed that when I ate bad, I couldn't run for the life of me and the days I ate healthy, I was able to do my best!
  • dinoskycm
    Options
    bump for later! :)
  • AmandaPandah
    AmandaPandah Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I just ran.

champ
  • nkyjennifer
    nkyjennifer Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    i've heard 'zombies, run' is great for outdoors - i don't have an iphone and my ipos's the old style so i can't get it.

ZOMBIES RUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!

...I really love Zombies Run.

As for advice, go slow and build stamina before you think about speeding up :)

Thank to you both for mentioning this. I downloaded it last night, after my workout, and wanted to go for a run just so I could play! lol! Can't wait to do a mission tonight. :-)
  • countdowntotarget
    countdowntotarget Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started when I was at my biggest, with a group of people who did it as a countdown to a holiday (I wasnt on holiday), they had done their bit, been on holiday and came back - I was still only on week 4 I think it was, but I kept plodding along, if you stay on one week for a month, it doesnt matter what does is that you dont give up,

Maybe the 9kph is too fast for you ? - maybe slow down a bit to 8 ish ? - the idea is to do the distance, when you are ok with the distance then you go back and work on speeding up

Dont give up x x
  • ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Bump.
    To read more later ????