Hormone Treatment? + 500 cals a day - Diet?

Options
Ah, fad diets...

I'm no great spokeperson for weight loss. I admit this easily. While I have maintained my weight (within 5 pounds) for more than a year I haven't LOST anymore (and haven't been actively trying to lose more, admittedly). And because I haven't been losing big pounds when my friends come to me and I give them weight loss advice they don't take my advice into account. Yes, I lost 30 pounds initially but that's not enough for them to think I know what I'm talking about I guess.

Now, my friend has this new 'diet' she's signed up for and quite frankly I'm more than a little concerned. She won't listen to me when I try to tell her it sounds dangerous.

Here's the deal. You take a hormone injection everyday (it is some hormone that pregnant women produce that supposedly makes the body eat all your bodies fat reserves), and are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day for three weeks. Supposedly people drop a 1lb a day on this diet (although her mother lost only 20 pounds after doing the diet TWICE, so clearly that math isn't adding up).

To me there are so many red flags in this 'diet' that I wouldn't touch it but she's super excited (as is her husband... although why would a man take a hormone that pregnant WOMEN require? That's just weird).

Anybody heard of a diet like this before? I've tried googling but because I don't know what the diet is called I haven't been able to research it further. I think, at this point, only some sound research will get through to her.

She is a breastfeeding mother also, btw.

Any help would be appreciated!

Replies

• Beebee78
    Options
    You're talking about the HCG diet - it might be worth doing a search on HCG on here xxx
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    There is alot of discussion here about the HCG diet - I think that's what you are talking about. Supposedly it is under a Drs. care but YIKES it scares me. One MFP'er reported the death of her friend from such a diet. Not for me!
  • sniffles
    Options
    Could be, could be. There is no doctor involved in this though. Well, the guy who created the diet is supposedly a homeopathic Dr.

Thanks girls! I'll look into the HCG diet and see if that's the one!
  • jmmtaylor
    Options
    It would have to be a Dr that does prescription because you can only get the HGC(which is the hormone you produce when pregnant) through prescriptions. If I'm not mistaken. I've looked into it, but I'm not looking to lose that much weight to go through starving myself and getting a shot. No thanks.
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Yeah this sounds like the HCG diet, which in my opinion is SOOO dangerous!
    You can also do this in drops and everyone that i know that has tried it, once they are finished with the "Cycle"(three weeks) and go back to eating more than 500 calories a day they tend to gain back all of the weight lost and more!
    This is basically starvation! and a quick fix with no long term results.
  • sniffles
    Options
    All right, this is definitely the diet she's talking about!

Thanks guys.

I have to admit I'm a little shocked that this diet has been so well received by some members of MFP. When I joined early last year this sort of thing would have been completely picked apart and tossed aside. :\ Wow! MFP sure has changed.

Thanks again though. :) At least I know what it's called now.
  • tater8589
    Options
    Holy cow, your friend is nuts. Maybe, she will be tired and hungry in a day or two and look for a better alternative. Does she realise she could even gain weight if she puts her body into starvation mode... And she is breast feeding!!!! What! Kindly remind her about the health of her child please.
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    wow I cant believe any doctor would give her that while she's still breastfeeding, for the sake of her childs development she should at LEAST wait until she's done breastfeeding to try something like that! 500 calories per day (even if the reports of breaking down fat stores are true on HGC) can't be enough to properly nourish a baby!

I hope she changes her mind on it..
  • Melora
    Melora Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You can get the shots and drops online with no doctor prescription. This is a HORRIBLE idea for a breast feeding woman. Her body needs waaaaaayyyy for than 500 just to produce milk....she may end up losing her milk. Plus the hormone will be in her milk and her baby is gonna drink it....not smart!
  • Beebee78
    Options
    This is seriously dangerous if she is breastfeeding. HCG the hormone stimulates a reaction in the hypothalamus. This is responsible for a lot of pituitary functions. Passing this hormone on to her child via breastfeeding could have severe detrimental effects.

xxx
  • disnyfan
    disnyfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    UGH. A friend of mine has done this diet for 2 years. She is trying to get me to do it... no freakin' way. Not only because of the danger but it's like $800 a month!!!!
  • sniffles
    Options
    Yeah, she's pretty convinced the hormone is harmless so reminding her that her baby will be exposed isn't enough.

And as someone else stated this is not something that needs a doctor prescription. She is ordering it online, no doctor in between her and the hormone at all.

Part of the problem is that her mother is pretty deep into homeopathy and has convinced her this is perfectly healthy. It looks like there isn't really enough information to prove that's untrue just yet. This is kind of a common sense issue and when someone doesn't have it... they just don't have it I guess. :\

But I haven't given up. I will try to talk to her again.
  • Sarahbear83
    Sarahbear83 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Eeeek! She needs to get in touch with a lactation consultant or a member of LLL asap. If she does this diet her supply is going to dry up because her body won't be able to spare the calories to sustain it. Her baby will be starving.