Metabolic damage and gaining muscle.

Options
Hey guys.
Ok, so this may be an extremely stupid question, but it's something I'm curious about and haven't been able to find an answer to. It's going to take a bit of explaining, but here goes. So assuming a person has done damage to their metabolism by eating say 1,200 calories and doing excessive exercise, then said person realises the error of their ways and begins consuming more and lifting heavy combined with HIIT cardio. Is it possible for them to gain muscle while in a deficit of their TDEE? I know that normally this is impossible, except with the exception of newbie gains, but, given that the person has a damaged metabolism, is there body metabolising less calories so they could gain a small amount of muscle at this calorie level?
I'm talking someone who's metabolism is damaged to the point where when they start consuming TDEE - 20%, after having been at a low calorie level for so long, they don't lose weight (or even gain some weight) for a period of time before their metabolism adjusts. I guess what I'm trying to say is even though they are in a 'calorie deficit' of their TDEE, is it possible, that due to their lowered metabolism, it would be similar to them being in an excess of calories? I don't know the science behind this or know of it's at all possible, so I'm just curious to see what people think/know.
Thanks heaps for any help, and please no hate on my ignorance if this is a dumb question!

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible that if they had "metabolic" damage, they wouldn't be in a true deficit. However, if that were the case, they should be gaining weight in that scenario.

If they are losing weight, while gaining muscle, I would attribute it to the noob gains.
  • IshaAnderson18
    IshaAnderson18 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answer. That's what I assumed would be the case.
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Kind of a nit, but what you are discussing is calculated TDEE versus actual. The calculator makes some assumptions about a metabolic rate being average for your age, gender, height and weight. Since studies find a drop of 15% or less in metabolic rate, if you are doing the calculated TDEE - 20% you are very likely still in deficit, but the margin for error is razor thin. That is assuming worst case; probably the slowdown in metabolic rate was under 15%.