I just don't get it :(

Options
Height - 5" 1.5'
Weight - 143.5
Age - 23

I just can't seem to get my head around this weight loss thing :( I lost 2 stone on the old WW Core plan diet about 5 years ago when I was in my teen years. I've tried upping my calories, I've tried decreasing my calories and I just can't seem to find a happy medium which allows my body to lose. I'm currently eating between 1300-1400 calories per day and am not losing on that, I also didn't lose when I sat at 1700 calories for a while either. I am feeling so disheartened and I know these things take time...but I'm just fed up of eating healthy, cutting snacks (with allowance for the odd treat of course!) and avoiding temptation to find that all my hard work, does not show on the scales :( I have not been to fitness classes or the gym consistently for a good few months and was thinking of starting NWLRFW (just reading it just now). My diary should be public so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• JcMey3r
    JcMey3r Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Find your calories where at least you dont pick up weight, -500 calories and work from there if still nothing is working cut another abit of calories.

Try to exercise at least 3 times a week (Muscle mass helps burning calories)

Drink lots of water and stay eating healthy.

You will see results come and whats happening to me is that Im finally seeing such great results that I feel bad to eat bad food as im working so hard to lose it all. With that being said it took me a while to reach this point

Never give up if it is what you want.
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Try see if a ketogenic or paleo diet is right for you.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    This is supposed to be lifestyle change, don't deprive yourself of food you love! Learn to fit things into your calorie allowance.

Exercise is important for health and toning but not so important for weigtloss. Try working on your diet first without the pressure of exercise, start to add that in once you start losing! :)

You have to remember this is a long haul thing, it won't happen overnight. I've been here two years and have only lost as much as some people lose in 6months to a year! I'm trying not to rush it, it helps keep the weight off.
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for? (eating 1300-1400)

Are you measuring and logging everything you eat?
  • kristy3253
    Options
    Sometimes drinking water before meals helps. Medications play a large role. Believe me, if the side effects shows up something like, may cause weight change, it definitely does. Some medications actually makes you loose weight, suppresses your appetite is a plus. Most of my Rx's have caused weight gain. Exercise has to be combined with my weight loss program, no exercise, no weight loss happens. Adjust your diet periodically to determine the foods you eat. Muscle burns fat cells, weight strengthening helps. Best of luck to you and to me.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this for? (eating 1300-1400)

Are you measuring and logging everything you eat?

^ This. Make sure you're consistently and accurately measuring, weighing, and logging your food. When guesstimating exercise calorie burn and food intake, people often overestimate. :flowerforyou:
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    The steps to losing weight:

1) Find your TDEE. There are numerous TDEE calculators over the internet. Use about 5 of them and take an average from them. Make sure you're 100% honest with them or the results won't help you.

2) Subtract a reasonable deficit from this average. About 300-500 calories. You do not want to give yourself too much of a deficit otherwise you will be causing yourself more harm than good. You will be surprised at how much you can eat whilst being on a "diet". Remember, this is a marathon, not a sprint. Nobody has successfully lost weight by trying to find a quick and easy road.

3) Make sure you reach your macro goals. Use this calculator to help you with your macros: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ (You can also use this as one of your TDEE calculators)

4) Try some low intensity or HIIT cardio routines. For low intensity, walk on a treadmill with a 10% incline at about 3.5kmh for 30-40 minutes. For some HIIT cardio, either on a treadmill or outside walk for 1 minute, then run for 1 minute. Do this for 10-15 minutes.

5) Start lifting weights. There are numerous programs out there for BOTH genders, not just men. A good one if you don't want to lift weights 5-6 times a week is the 5x5 Program. NOTE: LIFTING WEIGHTS WILL NOT MAKE YOU "BULKY" OR LOOK LIKE A MAN. YOU ARE NOT CONSUMING ENOUGH CALORIES TO PUT ON SIGNIFICANT MASS NOR DO YOU HAVE THE TESTOSTERONE LEVELS TO BUILD LARGE MUSCLES.

6) Rest. Get plenty of sleep each night to allow your body to recover from exercise.

7) Last but not least. DO NOT GO BY SCALES. This will be your biggest de-motivator. Instead use a tape measure and measure yourself - Re-measure yourself every month. Take photos of yourself every 2 weeks - a month. This is a MUCH better way at tracking your progress. Weight doesn't matter when it comes to appearance. What matters is your body fat % and how you look and feel.

That's all there is too it. If you're dedicated enough, eat properly and exercise where you're pushing yourself the fat will melt off.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the replies and your support!

I have been eating at 1300-1400 for about ooh...2-3 months now, and as far as I know logging and measuring (to my mum's dismay) everything!

Playing with numbers and a waiting game I guess. As I said in my OP - I know it takes time and I am by no means wanting a "quick fix". I just would like to see a smidging of a result lol
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Hi - I feel at a loss for being able to help someone who is at a lower rate, its harder for a smaller person with only a few pounds to lose than someone large like me, but i hope to one day get there.

From your diary, you have some foods that I have never seen, so i dont know anything about them, however, if they are not fresh foods, and are processed foods, then that may be the key.

I find that when i made a homemade beef stew, with food from the fruit and veg aisle, and meat from the meat aisle, that seems to work out best. its when i eat the food that is in the middle aisles of the grocery that cause trouble, except if they are low sodium.

maybe you could eat more fresh foods, like fresh fruit, or frozen vegetables if not too much sodium, as this seems to be the key for me.,, and maybe for you.

Look at labels - some processed food has way too much sodium and sugars and fats and preservatives added.. these seem to be not as good for us for weight loss.

maybe you could tweak your food choices and make more homemade food with fresh ingredients. I think you would have better success.
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    Yeah - I live in the UK so that's probably why some labels are a bit strange.
    Asda (probably the one you see the most in my diary) is pretty much the UK version of Walmart - so most of the foods from there is fresh stuff :)

I'm gonna try drinking more water I think...I've just started a new job as a Primary (Elementary) School Teacher and we're only allowed out of the class twice a day for toilet breaks, so I've dramatically decreased the amount that I drink as it goes right through me lol

I try my best not to eat processed food unless i've came home late from work. I really enjoy cooking, however time is the problem :P
    Hi - I feel at a loss for being able to help someone who is at a lower rate, its harder for a smaller person with only a few pounds to lose than someone large like me, but i hope to one day get there.

From your diary, you have some foods that I have never seen, so i dont know anything about them, however, if they are not fresh foods, and are processed foods, then that may be the key.

I find that when i made a homemade beef stew, with food from the fruit and veg aisle, and meat from the meat aisle, that seems to work out best. its when i eat the food that is in the middle aisles of the grocery that cause trouble, except if they are low sodium.

maybe you could eat more fresh foods, like fresh fruit, or frozen vegetables if not too much sodium, as this seems to be the key for me.,, and maybe for you.

Look at labels - some processed food has way too much sodium and sugars and fats and preservatives added.. these seem to be not as good for us for weight loss.

maybe you could tweak your food choices and make more homemade food with fresh ingredients. I think you would have better success.
  • ninnyfurr74
    ninnyfurr74 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you are cutting calories, and you are measuring; then I strongly suggest exercise! Cardio will burn calories and jump up the metabolism. I also love that you are looking at weight lifting! Muscle burns calories! The more you have the more you will burn! Be sure to be safe while doing so and pay attention to form. Really pay attention to which muscles are working for each exercise as that will help you keep correct form. You'll get this hunny, persistence does pay off!!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring?

Are you logging everything? I don't see condiments, sauces or anything like that. What are you cooking some of your meals in, like your morning eggs? I also don't see anything logged for drinks. Do you just do water or do you drink tea/coffe/pop/juice?

ETA - you've also only been logging since July 23 , so about 4 weeks.
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    How am I measuring? - The kitchen scales are my best friend lol I have a much better relationship with them than the bathroom ones :P
    Condiments - I'm pretty much a plain Jane lol
    Sauces - I normally make my own and it is normally a pasta sauce made with tomatoes which is logged :) .
    Cooking - my main ways are grilling, although I use a 1 cal spray oil for my brekkie eggs (so about 5 cals per day i cook them)
    Drinks - I am a BIG tea Jenny so my main drinks are tea and water - I guess I should be logging my skimmed milk for tea, eh?

I have been logging consistently since then, and on and off before as I have had times where I've just wanted to throw in the towel. However, on the days I didn't/have not logged - my diet is not too dissimilar to what you see on the days I have logged, ,I don't go wild on treats.
    How are you measuring?

Are you logging everything? I don't see condiments, sauces or anything like that. What are you cooking some of your meals in, like your morning eggs? I also don't see anything logged for drinks. Do you just do water or do you drink tea/coffe/pop/juice?

ETA - you've also only been logging since July 23 , so about 4 weeks.
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary,... your sodium looks high. might be retaining water (which is actually unhealthy)
    I know MFP 'recommends' 2,500.
    But for me, I feel better if I keep it around 1200 - 1500.

here's some info....
    http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Fluid_retention

And Strive for several servings of veggies a day.
    And several servings of fruit. :)
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    The steps to losing weight:

6) Rest. Get plenty of sleep each night to allow your body to recover from exercise.

7) Last but not least. DO NOT GO BY SCALES. This will be your biggest de-motivator. Instead use a tape measure and measure yourself - Re-measure yourself every month. Take photos of yourself every 2 weeks - a month. This is a MUCH better way at tracking your progress. Weight doesn't matter when it comes to appearance. What matters is your body fat % and how you look and feel.

That's all there is too it. If you're dedicated enough, eat properly and exercise where you're pushing yourself the fat will melt off.

^^^^this^^^^

I have been actively trying to lose weight for over 18 months. I have *only* lost 37lbs, despite busting but in the gym ( about 10 hours a week), and even using a trainer the last 6-7 months.

#7 is the most important statement, and it took me a LONG time to really take it to heart. My first trainer, bless his heart, regularly pounded it into my head.

Over the last 5 years or so my weight has gone up and down....But I happen to have taken pictures along the way.

8193374926_e25182cc2b_q.jpg
    0120100909 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8211731868_5394684d1d_q.jpg
    IMG00856-20121123-0837 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

8681875038_8398899acd_q.jpg
    march and april 2013 by crochetmom2010, on Flickr

I am wearing the same shirt in all 3 of these pictures. I am also 194-196 lbs in ALL the pictures. I do need to lose another 35-40lbs to get into a healthy weight range, but I know with the muscles I have, I can be a little heavier and still look good. For me, the most important thing is my clothing size goal--I want to be a size 8 ( right now I am in a 14).
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Have you gotten a checkup to see if you have anything like thyroid or maybe you have a slow metabolism.. which i understand can be helped by exercise, which you are already doing.
  • pixie_mills
    Options
    This was going to be my next step after the plea to all you lovely people :) I'm gonna give it one more shot, and if I'm still not happy with what i'm seeing (or not seeing in this case :P) I will be having to pay the doc a visit :(
    Have you gotten a checkup to see if you have anything like thyroid or maybe you have a slow metabolism.. which i understand can be helped by exercise, which you are already doing.