Weightlifting

Options
IndianMuslim
IndianMuslim Posts: 154
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
So I've seen a lot of people talking about weightlifting, and this is probably a silly question, but what exactly does lifting consist of and how do you get started? My knowledge of weights is limited to the 8 lb dumbbells in the gym I will occasionally do arm lifts with after my cardio workout :P

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    look up starting strength
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Starting Strength and The New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    hmmm...i was looking moreso for actual advice rather than looking through hundreds of other posts. guess it's too much to ask...
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I got started by following a DVD program called Chalean Extreme. Basically, one day you do a workout targeting your upper body (like bicep curls), the next day you rest or do cardio; and the following day you do exercises targeting your lower body (for example: squats). Then repeat. I started Chalean Ex. using resistance bands rather than dumbells, and I lost a lot of inches with that. This second time around, the resistance bands don't make me work as hard, so I'm considering buying actual weights.
    I hope this helps a little!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

^ this is a great summary

Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting are both available as books, available on Amazon or your local library. New Rules of Lifting is the one I read. Great stuff! Also, the Strong Lifts website has some great videos regarding form.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    To be honest, I find that 8# dumbbells aren't really enough. I need to do dozens of reps before I feel tired, unless I extend every move to 20 seconds.

You want to find a weight that is challenging. That differs for everyone.

Weight machines are good to get started since "form" is easy to get right on a machine. Free weights are great because they are more functional, and work the supporting muscles.

Right now I am using free weights more since it is more challenging, and I have a few strength training goals on my list.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    hmmm...i was looking moreso for actual advice rather than looking through hundreds of other posts. guess it's too much to ask...

You were given advice - good advice. It's nobody else's fault that you don't apparently want to put any effort into the endeavor.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts is good too, it focuses on the compound lifts. Lift what is heavy for you, something you can't lift more than 6-8 times (I personally like 5)

ETA: Asking for advice then critiquing said advice is quite rude, people are trying to be helpful. Also google is your friend.
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options

I recently got started weightlifting myself. I have read REAMS of information to feel good enough to even start. There's no way any of us could type it all out here. I joined a couple groups here (EM2WL and New Rules of Lifting For Women) and have been reading everything I can get my hands onto. I also got the book mentioned (New Rules of Lifting for Women) and started reading it today.

Weightlifting involves hard work and dedication. And a lot of that work up front is going to be researching and reading to educate yourself so you know what your doing and don't injure or underfeed your body.

If you're not willing to put in some work. maybe weightlifting is not for you. Because that's exactly what it takes. But let me tell you, it's the single most rewarding thing I've ever done for myself. I am completely addicted and I look forward to my lift days with great anticipation! It's WORTH the reading and research. And so are you. :flowerforyou:

Good luck!
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Thank you papillon...this is exactly what I was looking for. Some basic tips on how to get started. I'm sorry I offended some people on here but I wasn't looking for names of books. I was hoping to get some personal perspective on the subject. How / why people started, what worked for them, their techniques, etc.

On a sidenote, I have noticed while reading some posts here in the forums, many people on MFP are just downright rude. Someone will ask a simple question and people just flock to berate the poster for reasons beyond my comprehension. It's discouraging to say the least. If you don't have anything nice to say or offer, then why post anything at all? Just my two cents. I think I'll have to go back to just posting in my group of friends.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Strong lifts is good too, it focuses on the compound lifts. Lift what is heavy for you, something you can't lift more than 6-8 times (I personally like 5)

ETA: Asking for advice then critiquing said advice is quite rude, people are trying to be helpful. Also google is your friend.

QFT
  • sophayz
    sophayz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    one short tip : focus on the stance and technique first before putting too much weight once you get the movement right ( it takes bout 7000 reps for you r body to remember the movement automatically according to studies) then you can add weights without getting hurt . and at that point girl don't be scared to put on a lot just do it gradually
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Thank you papillon...this is exactly what I was looking for. Some basic tips on how to get started. I'm sorry I offended some people on here but I wasn't looking for names of books. I was hoping to get some personal perspective on the subject. How / why people started, what worked for them, their techniques, etc.

On a sidenote, I have noticed while reading some posts here in the forums, many people on MFP are just downright rude. Someone will ask a simple question and people just flock to berate the poster for reasons beyond my comprehension. It's discouraging to say the least. If you don't have anything nice to say or offer, then why post anything at all? Just my two cents. I think I'll have to go back to just posting in my group of friends.

Please don't give up. You can get a lot of good advice here. Fight rudeness with politeness. Everyone (or almost everyone) means to be helpful. Thank people for their advice- and just take the part you want and ignore the rest.

The New Rules book is great- I bought it, read it, and am almost through the 7 stages and planning to start over. But there are other things out there. WHenever you post on the forum you will get a variety of responses- just like you did. Best wishes for great lifting!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

You want to learn something new and better yourself? You're going to have to study. That's how it goes.

First reply to your post concisely answered your question. Starting Strength. Read it.
  • IndianMuslim
    Options
    Thanks Kathleen! :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

WTF?

tumblr_m3ywz93kdk1r9jaq7.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    FWIW: chalean extreme is a Beach Body program. :ohwell:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

No one berated you. They gave you the same information they'd give anyone asking these questions (I know, because I got the same information back in April.) and then you got upset that you weren't hand held through things. No one was even mean or sarcastic (Well, I'm about to be, so I guess there's that.)

If you aren't willing to do your own research and invest in your own personal knowledge then don't expect other people to do it for you. You want a personal story of how someone else started? I bought new rules of lifting for women, new rules supercharged, downloaded Strong Lifts, and bought starting strength. And then I found a bunch of threads (via the search function) about other people who lift. I made lifting friends, I stalked the fitness forum, and I read. I read *Alot*. And then I decided I'd finally read and learned enough and I got started. Others will tell you the same. Someone probably said "New Rules" or "Starting Strength" and then instead of being whiny and butt hurt they went and read those books.

PS: See how this is different than what other people said to you? I hope now you have some perspective on what is 'mean'.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Want us to lift the weights FOR you too? :laugh:
This discussion has been closed.