Approaching first goal...

Options
Today I'm home sick with my daughter so I thought I'd take a moment to post a pic. I don't know what was harder...losing weight or figuring out how to post a picture!

First things first! Thank you MFP and this Community of Success Stories has been so beneficial to keep me going. Thanks to all of you who take the time to post stories and photos. So inspiring!!! Anytime I was discouraged, I'd come here! A 10 minute dose of success story reading and I was ready to get up and go whack the fat again!

I started MFP journey in May 2013. I'm 45, married and a Mom of 3 great kids. I was unhealthy thin in my teens then as I had children put on weight. I have had times where I'd go extreme and train all the time for running or sprint triathlons. However I always put the weight back on.

In May, my son took our picture as we went out to dinner to celebrate our 21st anniversary. The picture made me sick again and I definitely didn't need to be going out to eat!! I was finished with being overweight. I knew what I needed to do but couldn't do it on my own. I did not want to go back to the gym one more time. My husband suggested an incentive so I chose an SLR camera when I lose 20 lbs. or fit into a size 8. My boys play football so I am looking forward to having an awesome camera to take photos of them on the field.

Then I found MFP and community. Having the encouragement of others was what I needed. Seeing people with the same struggles made me realize I'm not alone and cannot do it on my own either. I've learned food is my thorn. I have to log and hold myself accountable. There are good days and bad days...the longer I go the easier it is becoming. As I've exercised little bits of self-control my self-control muscle is getting stronger. There are some foods I choose not to eat right now...someday I can have them again.

Most of my exercise has been walking, walking and walking. I realized how much of life I missed being inside. Walking gets me outside to "life on the street", waving babies, kids playing, teens driving and even an occasional dog rescue...it's been a joy to get back outside again. I do slog a bit (slow walk/jog) and ride my bike as I had some issues with plantar fasciitis so have to watch how much time I'm on my feet.

During this time, I have fallen in love with veggies all over again. Reading diaries has been so much help to get food ideas to try and searching the recipe community when I have a hankering for something like cobbler! Found a great low cal recipe to feed that craving!

As of today, I've rid myself of 14 lbs and dropped my body fat from 32.7 to 30.7, lost oodles of inches and feel great (except for being sick at the moment!) I'm down from a size 14 to a tight size 10. I have more energy. I feel great about the choices I'm making. I feel better about me! My kids have really inspired me and encouraged me to keep going!!! I feel better about the example I'm setting for my family too. Sometimes my hubbie will go for a walk with me too...!

One top of all of this...I started back to work part time as a lunch lady! I have the pleasure of encouraging kids to eat those fruits and veggies! I'm on my feet at work and which keeps me moving to help me meet my goals!

So my parting words are "Today is a GREAT DAY to start your health and fitness journey or to just keep going one day at a time!" The tortoise wins the race!!!

Blessings,
Carla

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx289/ccbpannell/dea5ac98-ddb0-484c-8b7a-a70e1adc893f_zps6a0d303a.jpg

Replies

• CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I guess posting the pic was harder since it didn't work! oh well!:smile:
  • CarlaNeverGivenUp
    CarlaNeverGivenUp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    dea5ac98-ddb0-484c-8b7a-a70e1adc893f_zps6a0d303a.jpg
  • Snowoutspokin
    Options
    woohoo!! great job Carla!!! ok.. now. when are we riding??
  • jessizona80
    jessizona80 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your sucess so far! It feels good, doesn't it? I love that you've found a renewed joy in being outside, as I have also. I run/walk around my neighborhood and it's been so eye opeing to see and feel different seasons (although I live in AZ so it's a subtle transistion from almost cold to hot - ha!) and I have seen some amazing sunsets. It's free and there is very little excuse not to go outside, where as the gym I can find a million reasons not to go. Oh, I have also had one dog rescue and also some humans who got stuck out in a nasty storm. It's just a great, under-rated tool for getting healthy. It works your body AND mind.

Keep up the good work!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!