Collard Greens

Options
Breena_Bean5
Breena_Bean5 Posts: 105 Member
Does anyone have a quick and easy recipe for greens? I've never cooked them before so I'm kind of lost... I just found out how stinking healthy they are and that I can eat 1-2 cups a day!! I LOVE collard greens!! I just need a few tasty recipes :-) THANKS!!!

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Clean them, cut them, remove the stalks, and then boil the crap out of them. Season to taste.

I've never really had them any other way so I'm curious to see what responses you get.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Here is my go to:

1 equal part collard, spinach, and turnip greens
    1 slice bacon per cup of greens
    1/4 - 1/2 cup water per cup of greens (the greens cook down a lot so go easy on the water or it will be soupy)
    Garlic, salt, pepper to taste

Dice and fry the bacon in a pot large enough to hold all the greens. Once the bacon is cooked add everything else to the pot (do not drain the fat!). Cover and let simmer for an hour or two stirring occasionally.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Here is my go to:

1 equal part collard, spinach, and turnip greens
    1 slice bacon per cup of greens
    1/4 - 1/2 cup water per cup of greens (the greens cook down a lot so go easy on the water or it will be soupy)

Dice and fry the bacon in a pot large enough to hold all the greens. Once the bacon is cooked add everything else to the pot (do not drain the fat!). Cover and let simmer for an hour or two stirring occasionally.

That's how I've done it. Sometimes it's bacon.. sometimes it fatback.
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    That's how I've done it. Sometimes it's bacon.. sometimes it fatback.

Fatback is the best if you can get it. Ham hocks work really well, too. Especially if you can get the bone so the marrow cooks in.
  • Breena_Bean5
    Options
    I looked up a few recipes and all of them are not on the quick side. I'd like to replace collard greens with salads some days that's why I need a quick recipe. I have 4 children all under the age of 3 at home, so my time is precious, lol.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    My mom puts a smoked turkey leg in for flavor. Lot of sodium but SO good.
  • tburkett1915
    Options
    You can slow cook them with smoked turkey legs as well! Just as tasty and a little healthier.
  • tburkett1915
    Options
    You can cut the time in ahlf by using a pressure cooker, orther than that put them in a slow cooker
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I looked up a few recipes and all of them are not on the quick side. I'd like to replace collard greens with salads some days that's why I need a quick recipe. I have 4 children all under the age of 3 at home, so my time is precious, lol.

Collard greens are really bitter. They have to be cooked. They are quite nasty raw.
  • ze_hombre
    Options
    You can cut the time in ahlf by using a pressure cooker, orther than that put them in a slow cooker

This is a good point since OP is pressed for time. A crock pot might be an ideal way to cook them. Its really all about the time, cooking them is really hands off.
  • Breena_Bean5
    Options
    I didn't mean I want to eat them raw (like a salad). I meant that I'm just flat out salad' out, lol. I want COOKED greens instead of a salad. I did find a mildly quick recipe that has TONS of great reviews, I'm gonna try it out tonight. I'll let ya know how it comes out :-)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sauteed-Collard-Greens-15805
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I didn't mean I want to eat them raw (like a salad). I meant that I'm just flat out salad' out, lol. I want COOKED greens instead of a salad. I did find a mildly quick recipe that has TONS of great reviews, I'm gonna try it out tonight. I'll let ya know how it comes out :-)

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sauteed-Collard-Greens-15805

That looks good... I might try that myself.
  • Breena_Bean5
    Options
    I'll try the slow cooker idea this weekend. I've had some really soft and had some with a bite both ways I like. I just don't want all the grease, butter and sodium that comes along with the popular southern recipes. I also DON'T want to overcook them because that's when they lose the health benefits that comes along with Collard Greens.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    My mom puts a smoked turkey leg in for flavor. Lot of sodium but SO good.

^This. Add minced green peppers, onions , garlic and season to taste. I let them cook in the slow cooker overnight. You can freeze the extras! Yummy good eating!!!

I used to use hammocks or some kind of pork but i found the smoked turkey legs are healthier and taste just as good!
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    If you add a smoked turkey leg or a smoked ham hock to them and cook them in the crock pot, they taste really good. You can buy them really cheap in the meat section of any grocery store. Also, buy a bottle of that liquid smoke seasoning for grilling meat and put several dashes of it into the mixture along with pepper, garlic, onion and whatever other seasonings of your choosing.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Use them for wraps.
  • Breena_Bean5
    Options
    That's what I was thinking as well ^^^^
  • jacalennejax
    jacalennejax Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1-

Base Collard Greens
    1 Slice of Bacon for every two cups of greens. ( or Ham)
    1/2 cup water per cup of greens
    Vinegar to taste.

Fry the bacon a bit, saute the greens in when you have enough fat from the bacon. Cover and let simmer for an hour or two.

2-

I use a large crockpot with a hambone and a whole bunch of greens. Salt, pepper, garlic, some crushed chili flakes. A bit of white vinegar. No recipe, i just keep throwing it in til it looks and tastes good.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    bump.