Exercise Equipment Help

Options
Hello everyone, need some help on picking out exercise equipment on a fairly limited budget. I want to get started today as I am feeling highly motivated this holiday weekend and really want to to capitalize on that. I have a $150 budget and here are my main goals.

1. Get toned(especially my stomach/abdomen area)
2. Increase overall strength without adding weight.
3. Lose 15 pounds.

I want to workout 4-5 times a week with a mix of running and strength building exercises. I have 2 small children at home and I do not have a lot of room for equipment. After doing a lot of shopping around online I found the following items I could pick up at my local Academy.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_34205_-1?ICID=CRT:0424-41181-0002

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_141551_-1__?N=117009181&Ntt=power+tower&Ntk=All

The thing that really stuck out to me about this combination is that I can do a lot of different exercises, especially using the power tower as an anchor point for the bands, and that it is not something that my kids can knock over or pull down on themselves.

I would really appreciate any advice or info on this equipment combination and my overall workout plan and goals.

Thanks!

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I'd try and buy two kettle bells as they are great for cardio and strength!
  • maillemaker
    maillemaker Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    You goals can probably be achieved without spending any money at all.

You can use body weight only exercises to a great extent. Situps, pushups, lunges, and more can all be done with no fitness equipment.

If you want, kettlebells are good as was pointed out and you can do a whole lot of exercises with dumbells also.

Check out Craig's List for used equipment.

Your weight loss is going to come mostly from diet.
  • JBorski
    JBorski Posts: 3
    Options
    I have tried the pushup/situp routine in the past, but I never seem to stick with it for more than a week or so. I have an extremely hectic schedule (60-65 hour work week, 2 young children, and a 7 month pregnant wife who absolutely needs me to pull my weight at home) and most of the time my only opportunity to work out is at night after I get everyone to bed. It is at this point that I am also pretty beat myself, so when I plop down on that easy chair and am so tempted to play a video game or surf the web on my iPad before going to bed, it is my hope that seeing that piece of equipment that I spent money and time on getting set up will remind me to get back up and get to working out. It may sound silly, but as I have never bought any exercise equipment, and I HATE wasting money, I truly believe that this would be a great motivator for me.

As far as the kettlebells go, I did some research on them and have a couple concerns.
    1. Seems like I will need to buy a variety of sizes for different exercises, especially as I build strength.
    2. They are recommended in a few places for people with an already "strong exercise foundation for people looking to take their workouts to the next level," because of the importance on maintaining correct form while using them.
    and
    3. They are something that I would have to stow away in a closet to keep away from my kids, so I would worry after a while they could become "out of sight out of mind."

Thanks again for all the help.
  • angelac1296
    angelac1296 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My husband loves his resistance bands. You can probably youtube or google some stuff to do with them. I LOVE my stability ball, but it does take up a little bit of room, and with little ones, they'd probably want to throw it around and break stuff.

Craigslist and yard sales should be a good place to look.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I run and do yoga, but for most of my strength exercises I have a 15# kettlebell, a TRX, and excessive body weight. I feel like no matter how strong my legs feel after doing a round of lunges and squats they are jelly!! Lots of plank work for core and a good diet.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. Get toned(especially my stomach/abdomen area)
    2. Increase overall strength without adding weight.
    3. Lose 15 pounds.

1. you can't spot reduce. You'll get defined abs when the fat on top goes away. You CAN build those muscles while you're lowering overall body fat % thought.
    2. Pick up some kettlebells or just fill up milk jugs with sand.
    3. Convict conditioning.

You'll lose weight by eating at a deficit.
  • xRiverX
    xRiverX Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'd try and buy two kettle bells as they are great for cardio and strength!

hell ya! and do 35 mins interval running
  • sharonfoustmills
    sharonfoustmills Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    lots of steals and deals on craigslist, amazon and ebay

walmart carries a wide assortment of workout dvd's and other stuff for really low prices- I would go to your local walmart and check out the selection before buying anywhere else, because you get more bang for your buck there and you can get a variety of stuff instead of just one or two things
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have tried the pushup/situp routine in the past, but I never seem to stick with it for more than a week or so. I have an extremely hectic schedule (60-65 hour work week, 2 young children, and a 7 month pregnant wife who absolutely needs me to pull my weight at home) and most of the time my only opportunity to work out is at night after I get everyone to bed. It is at this point that I am also pretty beat myself, so when I plop down on that easy chair and am so tempted to play a video game or surf the web on my iPad before going to bed, it is my hope that seeing that piece of equipment that I spent money and time on getting set up will remind me to get back up and get to working out. It may sound silly, but as I have never bought any exercise equipment, and I HATE wasting money, I truly believe that this would be a great motivator for me.

As far as the kettlebells go, I did some research on them and have a couple concerns.
    1. Seems like I will need to buy a variety of sizes for different exercises, especially as I build strength.
    2. They are recommended in a few places for people with an already "strong exercise foundation for people looking to take their workouts to the next level," because of the importance on maintaining correct form while using them.
    and
    3. They are something that I would have to stow away in a closet to keep away from my kids, so I would worry after a while they could become "out of sight out of mind."

Thanks again for all the help.

You need to set aside some "me" time or you'll never get into a routine. I have four kids, I know exactly what you're going through. A home gym is the only way to go for me, sounds like its the same for you.

I have to workout the minute I get home, or it's not getting done. If this is something that wouldn't work for you, maybe you could get up a little earlier and hammer out your routine before work in the morning.

I don't know what your fitness level is but I started off with something like this and bought a few more plates. I think my pair goes up to 30lbs each. Then I slowly added to my weight set over the years
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

Also, I picked up a power tower and in my opinion it was a waste of money. Most of the exercises you can do without the damn thing, or find a suitable substitute. I use mine to hang my towel while I'm working out though (so maybe it wasn't a complete waste). ;)
  • JBorski
    JBorski Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone, especially Jackdog89. Reading your post was very helpful and comparable to my situation. I think I am gonna pick up some dumbbells, the resistance band(for traveling), and possibly a bench as a "workout space" as well as being able to do a few additional exercises.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Utility-Bench/11993394

That would bring my total cost to around $100

Thoughts?
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I started with a 4kg and a 8kg kettlebell but have since progressed to a 8kg and a 12kg but using just these two I get a whole body workout. I've never had results as quick from any type of work out which takes such little time as I have with kettlebells! 15 min with those and 15 min cardio running etc and I'm burning easily 300 calories! My heart rate rockets when I use my kettlebells :) love them!!
  • Jackdog89
    Jackdog89 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the insight everyone, especially Jackdog89. Reading your post was very helpful and comparable to my situation. I think I am gonna pick up some dumbbells, the resistance band(for traveling), and possibly a bench as a "workout space" as well as being able to do a few additional exercises.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-Utility-Bench/11993394

That would bring my total cost to around $100

Thoughts?

I would be concerned with how stable that bench would be, but one of the reviewers said it supports him ( at +300lbs). So, I think you're good to go.

One more thing, here's a great website for exercises. I like it because its easy to view on a mobile device if you need too. It gives a description and most of the exercises have a short video to show you how to do them. Just select a muscle group and look for the exercises you can do with dumbbells.

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html