Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Protein, then fats, then fiber. Carbs are added in with dessert :D
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i like to keep an eye on sodium i never add it myself and am always curious as to what processed foods have. I love tetsu chef wonton soup but I hardly every drink the broth and there are so many calories in it.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    love your reply Blacklance but you better get lots of exercise to wear off those calories from all the red wine and baileys
  • drvvork
    drvvork Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I watch carefully my protein and potassium (I'm Hypokalemic so it is a must).
  • VpinkLotus
    VpinkLotus Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Calories, and to be honest I don't even pay attention to any of the other stuff. I don't know how much of everything I need nor do i know what they should be set at. Suppose i should figure that stuff out one of these days. :embarassed:
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I track calories, all the macros, fiber, and sodium. But I really only pay attention to calories and protein unless something is visibly off (if sodium is several hundred in the red or fiber is way down, for example, I will look at my food day to see why). The only reason I even pay attention to protein is because I'm lifting heavy and want to support those muscles.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Calories, obviously, and like many here, PROTEIN! I am averaging about 150 g per day for the last several weeks. 15% is too low for most people, I shoot for 25-30%. I found it keeps me more satisfied and easier to stay within my calorie goal. Loss is slow but consistent, averaging just over a pound a week.

I would love to take a peek at your diary :smile: I have protein set to 100 g (25% of my daily calories, based off 1 g per pound LBM estimates) and struggle to get there many days.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    SInce I switched to a plant based diet I'm most interested in calcium & iron levels, making sure I get enough each day, other than that I watch calories & fat. I wish there were more spots on the screen, I'd like to see more things, like fiber, sodium & others but because I'm tracking the calcium & iron it limits my spaces.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Calories, protein and fat.
  • marthahorn
    Options
    You should shoot for .8 to 1 gram of protein per pound unless you are very overweight then use your goal weight.

So where do you find what you should be using as a guideline?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Calories, Protein, Fat. I have fiber and carbs and...iron I think on my diary, but I don't actually pay any attention to them. As long as I'm around my goal, get 120-115 gram of protein, and 45-50 grams of fat a day everything else is 'meh' to me.
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    1st - Protein
    2nd - Calories

I don't pay attention to anything else, unless my fats for some reason are below 60g and I need to bump them up... But I usually eat enough meats that it isn't an issue.

I used to be too concerned with calories and not concerned enough about protein. When I lost weight that way, I wasn't satisfied with the way I looked, I felt that I had lost too much muscle mass. This was when my proteins were about 80-100g a day... Now they are around 130-170g a day and I feel a bit more solid.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Calories

Protein

Fat
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Alcohol consumption and water consumption. Make sure I drink less red wine and more water. :-/
  • ketoambahh
    Options
    Calories, sodium, carbs, and most importantly: sugar.

I'm not worried about my protein intake since I know that I usually get to that goal every day quite easily. I never look at the fat content in my food unless there happens to be trans fats, then I put it back on the shelf and go NUH UH.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    Calories, Carbs, Protein, Fat, Fiber, Sodium, Cholesterol. In that order.
  • nainai0585
    nainai0585 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Calories and sodium.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    For me its Calories, Carbs, Proteins and Fat. I also monitor fibre because I always suspected that I wasn't getting enough and monitor saturated fat to ensure that I am keeping this low.

Saying that I do need to adjust my targets because I feel MFP sets carbs too high and protein too low.

I will occasionally look to see what my sodium intake is like but don't generally use a lot of salt anyway
  • sorcha1977
    sorcha1977 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Calories, carbs, water/sodium (if my sodium gets too high, I drink more than my water goal)
  • Tdacks
    Tdacks Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This has evolved as I continue to get a handle on my nutritional habits. Due to some blood pressure concerns, I started out primarily concerned with lowering my salt intake, which led me to also closely track and increase my intake of potassium.

Once I had those in line, I started to press more for high protein. That was good for awhile and really got me understanding different sources of protein.

Now I'm concerned with saturated fat and cholesterol, because I eat an egg every morning and some kind of steak most evenings, and I noticed that those two nutrients were consistently over target.

I also have been paying closer attention to fiber, since I can certainly tell when I'm not getting enough of that, lol.