Help needed for upper-body training

Options
I am currently in the process of entering the Navy as an officer. I have found a lot of information on what I will be expected to be able to do when I enter Officer Candidate School (bootcamp for officers). Basically on the second day I need to be able to do a mile and half in under 15:30 (but I want to be able to do it in 13 minutes), do 16 pushups and 46 situps.

I feel confident I can do the minimums for running and situps. However, I have never had a very strong upper body. I can barely do one or two actual push-ups, I can do roughly 20 from my knees. How should I train to be ready to at least pass the minimums for pushups?

I have lifted weights only a handful of times. I am just scared of hurting myself. Along with that, I have no idea what the different lifts are called so I am going to need pictures or videos or somewhere I can go to see this.

Thanks!

Replies

• pwnderosa
    pwnderosa Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I've been working on my push-ups too and what helped me the most was doing them with my hands on my coffee table or low chair. This seems to work my muscles a LOT harder than the ones on my knees. The other thing I sometimes do will be try as many full pushups as I can, then drop to my knees and keep going for another 10 or so reps, rest for a minute and repeat a couple times. I am up to being able to do 12 full pushups now, from only being able to do a couple a few months ago.

Good luck!!
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert...I'm more of an "enthusiast". But I did qualify for POST (Sheriff's Dept way back when, and the requirements sound similar) so here's my two-cents. :)

I'd say to work on your distance running/stamina (shoot for much more than a mile and a half) so that your mile and a half will be easier. We had a similar time requirement. When I first started preparing, I couldn't make it once around the track without stopping, after a couple months, I could run at least four miles at a 9-minute-mile pace.

Second, strengthen your chest and core (e.g. abs, back, etc.). This really helped me on the push-up and sit-up requirements.

Here's what I did:

Grab some programs off the web (if you have a smart phone, it'll be easier because there are a ton of apps that can accomplish this) that'll provide you a training program for running, for push-ups, and for sit-ups. Also, you know that 30 Day Shred a lot of people talk about on here? Well I used that and it really helped me with my wind, with some upper body strength, and with my core strength.

Then using those simple programs and even a cross training DVD like 30DS, start and be consistent from now until your tests. I really think you'll be amazed and pleased with the results. :)
  • viperk1
    viperk1 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    If you can barely do regular pushups, then I don't think you need to start weights. If you can barely do two, then try to start with three sets of that and increase the reps every week. Doing incline pushups like pwnderosa said might also help get you started.

Btw, 46 military sit-ups is impressive! I can barely do 25. That 0 to 90 degrees form is sooo hard.
  • Azurepaige
    Azurepaige Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
    viperk1 and pwnderosa: I will definitely try other modified push-ups and doing as many as I can.
    jzalisa: I will look for apps, I hadn't thought of that. I am also working on running further, I figure if I can run farther than needed, I should only need to run harder to pass the time portion. Plus, by week 4 or somewhere around there, I will need to be able to do 3 miles, not sure how long I will have to run it though.
  • Lv2compute
    Lv2compute Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try doing planks like you do in yoga. Hold for as long as you can and then increase it the next time. This will really help to build up your upper body too and it strengthens your abs, back, etc.
  • summerfly413
    summerfly413 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    It really helps to just do them. So you can only do a couple? Do one or two before/after you go to the bathroom, or when you first walk in your house, or during commercials during a TV show. I'm in the Army through ROTC, and before I started ROTC I could barely do a push up, but I improved a lot just by doing them. Make a goal of 10 a day for a week, then 12 a day the next week, etc. At the end of each week just try to do as many as you can at once. Don't get discouraged if you can't do a ton! Even one or two more in one go is an improvement!

Another thing you can do is hold yourself in the up position for a minute(or 30 seconds, 15 seconds, whatever you feel comfortable with to start out), then lower yourself halfway and hold it, then lower yourself all the way(keeping your form) and hold that. Then do the same thing going back up. Maybe break up going down and going up if doing it all at once is too difficult.

As far as the PT test goes, when you're doing your pushups, just drop down. Don't try to control yourself(without sacrificing form obviously) because you wear your muscles out faster that way. Just drop, and then push yourself back up.

And make sure to keep your eyes and head forward, don't look down at the ground. It'll help keep your body and back straight, and you'll avoid doing half push ups because you're afraid of your face hitting the ground.

Hope that helps and good luck!
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am currently in the process of entering the Navy as an officer. I have found a lot of information on what I will be expected to be able to do when I enter Officer Candidate School (bootcamp for officers). Basically on the second day I need to be able to do a mile and half in under 15:30 (but I want to be able to do it in 13 minutes), do 16 pushups and 46 situps.

I feel confident I can do the minimums for running and situps. However, I have never had a very strong upper body. I can barely do one or two actual push-ups, I can do roughly 20 from my knees. How should I train to be ready to at least pass the minimums for pushups?

I have lifted weights only a handful of times. I am just scared of hurting myself. Along with that, I have no idea what the different lifts are called so I am going to need pictures or videos or somewhere I can go to see this.

Thanks!

Congrats from a fellow sailor. (former) How soon do you leave for OCS? Start doing pushups, full pushups and do them everyday. You say you can do two now. Do two more, several times today. Tomorrow, do a set of 3, several times. Skip a day, then the following day do a set of 4, several times... Guess what I'm saying here is the only way to getter better is to do them, and do them with proper form. When you're in OCS your form will be checked, so you may as well get in the habit of doing them the right way.

(While you're at it, doing a full timed PT test once a week won't hurt either. You already have your goals, why not start working on them now.) Never aim for the minimum on the PT test. If your minimum is 16, train yourself to do more than that.

Thank you in advance, for your service and good luck.

ETA: Be sure to keep your core tight, body straight, and butt down. Push-ups are not just an upper body exercise. :flowerforyou:
  • Danimal718
    Danimal718 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I will admit this....I started out doing them on stairs. I would put my hands on the 3rd from bottom stair and do them (when I was heavier). As I built them up I worked my way down the steps until I am finally on the floor.
  • Azurepaige
    Azurepaige Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did a set of three actual pushups today! I am ecstatic! I will keep working on them.
    @Fitfully_me: I am still in the process of getting all of my paperwork in, but I am very serious about entering. How long do I have to do all of the pushups and situps? I am not just aiming for the minimums but I know I need at least them. I want to enter being able to do the leaving OCS amount.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend just dropping and doing a set of how many ever pushups you can do occasionally throughout the day...this is how it will be in OCS. Doing these throughout the day will help a lot more than just doing a set of 3 or whatever once per day.