C25K- W4 Stuck and frustrated

Options
So, I have been progressing right on track with c25k. Each week has gotten harder, but doable. Then came week 4. I tried two days ago and couldn't get through it. Then I tried this morning. My issue is with the 5 minute runs. I can do both of 3 minute runs, but about halfway through the 5 I just can't get myself to keep going. My everything starts to hurt, I'm panting and I feel like I'm at a crawling pace.

So, my questions are, did you have a week that gave you trouble? How did you get through it?

And, do you think I should go back to week 3? I feel like a failure when I can't complete a run, even though I should be rejoicing that I got out there!

Replies

• NarneyK
    NarneyK Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    My trouble week was week 8. I hadn't repeated any days until then. I was able to do 25 mins in week 7 without any problems but in week 8 I couldn't reach 25 mins anymore. I kept telling myself...get to 25 mins and the last 3 mins will be easy but I just couldn't do it. It was very strange. I just hit some kind of mental block. But luckily a couple of my buddies kept encouraging me to keep trying. I finished the program today :)

If you need to repeat a day or a week, do it. Also before you give up on a run, reduce your speed and see if you can keep running. Some days I'm stronger than others and can keep at my normal pace. Others, I need to go slower or I'll have to stop completely. I rather slow down than stop.

Keep going. You can do it :)
  • NarneyK
    Options
    Sorry posted twice :blushing:
  • kista_1
    kista_1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Week 5 day 3 was the most challenging mentally. I didn't think there was any way I'd be ale to run non-stop for 20 minutes just because I could run 2 - 8 minute splits. I actually planned to keep repeating day 2 of week 5 but the app had other plans and decided even when I told it to start day 2 a few minutes into my run I realized I had 16 + minutes left! I figured I'd give it a try and just kept telling myself that I'd try it and the worst possible outcome would be walking home and re-doing it another day. I pushed myself to 8 minute run (I'd have been doing anyways) once I got there, told myself I was only 2 minutes away from 10 minutes. Once I got there I was already halfway so I may as well keep going right? 15 minutes; only 5 minutes left... nothing compared to the 15 I've completed! 2 minutes left and no WAY was I going to let 120 seconds keep me from completing the run! Next thing I know I was done.

I did find that I would kind of work myself up thinking too hard about what I was doing. That's when I'd feel my body getting weak and ready to throw in the towel. It's when I'd forget about what my feet were doing and fall into my music completely that I had no worries in the world and was just following my music lip syncing (which I find helps regulate my breathing so I don't get that panicked breathing).

As far as teh crawling pace, don't worry about how fast you're going. I originally started jogging just a bit faster then my walking pace. Get the times down first, then come back after you've completed C25K and challenge yourself with upping the pace. For now, jog at a speed that will get you through a 5 minute run. Good luck!
  • chrystenfo
    chrystenfo Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much! I know a lot of this is mental! Just needed some encouragement to keep my feet moving.
  • alglenn2013
    alglenn2013 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Week 4 was a tough one. I remember having to slow down quite a bit to finish. Take it a little slower. Speed comes in time, but getting your breathing in order and building your stamina needs to happen first. I'm still slow as a turd, but I am getting faster every week!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is your pace...you are going to fast. If you -think- you can go slower then you are going too fast. If that means that your pace right now is slower than your walk, that is fine. Speed comes later, it is all about endurance and building your base right now.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    So, I have been progressing right on track with c25k. Each week has gotten harder, but doable. Then came week 4. I tried two days ago and couldn't get through it. Then I tried this morning. My issue is with the 5 minute runs. I can do both of 3 minute runs, but about halfway through the 5 I just can't get myself to keep going. My everything starts to hurt, I'm panting and I feel like I'm at a crawling pace.

So, my questions are, did you have a week that gave you trouble? How did you get through it?

And, do you think I should go back to week 3? I feel like a failure when I can't complete a run, even though I should be rejoicing that I got out there!
    Try this stay on week 4 until you can complete the following.
    Don't focus on 5min running
    Focus on successfully running for 3m.10s, 3m.20s, 3m.30s etc...
  • Skye_NS
    Skye_NS Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I had trouble with my intervals this week (6). The more I focused on how tired or out of breath I was, the worse I felt it. To get through the runs, I had to ignore those thoughts and make small goals: "just get to the hill"; "make it to the tree"; "okay, now around the bend" until I took my mind off the other issues. lol The distractions helped and I was able to complete the run without stopping! Don't give up! You can do it!

Edit to add: I'm not sure going back a week would help you progress with your 5 minute runs. Try to focus on the positives - even if it's "okay, I didn't make 5 minutes but I made it 3.5. Next time I'll do 4 or 4.5.".
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I kept stalling in both W1 and W2 until I had to admit I was just scared to give it a shot. My starting point is low fitness and barely any voluntary exercise apart from using the bike over shorter distances as a form of transportation. Once I decided enough was enough, I began to apply the "just give it your best shot, you can't do better than that" I breezed without retaking anything again to where I'm now, about to start W7 on Monday. I should lose almost a third of my weight, but still managed to run today for 25 minutes straight without taking breaks; in my case it was all up in the head.
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I dropped my speed (treadmill) from 5km/h to 4.7km/h and got through w5d1. If I have to I'm going to keep dropping my speed and then go back and do the whole 9 weeks again at a faster pace. Best piece of advice I've read was: "I wish I'd known that speed comes later".
  • NarneyK
    Options
    I dropped my speed (treadmill) from 5km/h to 4.7km/h and got through w5d1. If I have to I'm going to keep dropping my speed and then go back and do the whole 9 weeks again at a faster pace. Best piece of advice I've read was: "I wish I'd known that speed comes later".

This is exactly me :D I do my runs at 5km but some days I have to drop to 4.7 to keep going. I just finished the program yesterday and I'm planning on restarting it tmw at a faster speed. Will see how it goes :D
  • mtylar89
    mtylar89 Posts: 18
    Options
    I completely couch to 5k and I absolutely loved it! I remember re doing several days through the program because it got really hard at times, but I finished it and could confidently run 30 min straight. It felt like a miricle for me! I'm really excited to start 5k-10k! Keep up the good work!