So what's up with this whole "jogging" thing?

Options

Replies

• GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Go find a nice soft dirt trail to run on. You'll have to naturally slow your pace to avoid tree roots and rocks and you'll be able to run further. Eventually you'll leap all gazelle like over them ;-)
  • mazmataz
    mazmataz Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Yup I've just gotten back into this after stopping for a year or so, and it aint pretty! The good thing with running though is that you can build it up pretty quickly (and lose is just as quickly as I have found!). For me it's that first 5-10 minutes of getting my heart rate up that's torture...I feel like every bit of me is wobbling and my body is like 'what?! this again?! i don't think so!'

You'll get there ;)
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    I started early this year at about 13 minutes / mile and my 1st try can only go 0.4 mile for about 5 minutes.
    Didn't give up and now I can run about 1 hour, 5 times a week.

While I don't run fast, I consider myself a runner, not jogger because when I run, my heart works as hard as other fast runners. Just need to keep running to build up my aerobic base (by running more miles, not faster) to get faster (more efficient) naturally.

My key: run at a steady maintainable pace so I wouldn't go out of breath. (if going out of breath, that means too fast

good pair of shoes & good form running are important too to allow me to progress without serious pain & injury.
    I keep reading books & articles from web and ask questions at this forum and that's tremendous help for me to learn how to run right.

My progress: I progressed by gradually increase distance/time over time. I worked up to 1 mile gradually by running a little more every time. Then ran for 1 mile every time for like a week until I felt comfortable and I extended to 1.5 mile for another week. Continue doing this and now I maintain at about an hour run (5 - 6 miles) every time. I focus in running more distance & miles and my speed improves as I run more & more.

I was really bad at running and avoided it for many years, only because I didn't know how to run right.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Okay...

You aren't a jogger, you are a runner. Only noobs use the word jogger. Even if you are the slowest runner on the street, you are still a runner. Get rid of that foul word this instant!

C25K. That is all you need...well, for the first 9 weeks. Don't expect to go out and run if you have never ran before. Everyone starts some where. C25K works!
  • DebBee83
    DebBee83 Posts: 30
    Options
    I started running just over a year and half ago, after a lifetime of avoiding it (I'm 45).

Check out the c25k program (Google it) - it's a great plan that gets you running a 5k distance without stopping in about 9 weeks. You run three days a week, with intervals of running and walking, gradually building up to more running than walking, until you're running for 30 minutes straight.

Worked great for me, it was exactly what I needed. There are plenty of free apps out there for smart phones or iPods as well, so you can take it with you, play your own music, and all the cues for when to walk, when to run, etc are right there in your headphones.

Hey, thanks for this tip. I just downloaded the c25k app, and it looks like it's really helpful for beginners. I can't wait to start! :smile:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Did you jog? Are you going to jog again? Then you are a jogger! Congrats!

It is easier to learn how to run distance if you use a program that incorporates intervals of running and walking. I use Endomondo (free smart phone app) and set it to interval training, put in my headphones and just wait for the app to signal me to walk or run. I can now run over 2 miles (probably 5K, never checked though) with little difficulty.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Literally the first thing that came to mind when I read the topic title.

AnchormanJogging.png
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I'm a jogger. Ok, I'm actually more of a thudder. Short, pounding steps and I make a lot of noise. My 5k record is 48 minutes. I can walk it that fast, literally.But, for me, it's jogging. And I love it.

The other day I actually PASSED someone. Had they started jogging, I would never have caught them, but as they were walking, it didn't take me all that long to catch them and pass them. I felt SO GOOD after that!!

HAHA! I did a 5k this past Sunday. I was hoping to finish at a 12:00 pace. At the halfway point (when we basically started back the same way we just came), I started counting people who were behind me. Out of about a 100 person race, there were 25 or so behind me and I passed about 10 more of them! I was so excited. Then it came time to go back across the bridge where the end was in sight and the bridge was up. I had to wait for it to go down and most of those 35 or so people behind me all caught up! :noway: I still finished ahead of a lot of them though it was a 12:13 pace when all was said and done.

For the OP, you are a runner as soon as you step outside and put one foot in front of the other. I'm not good at it, but for some reason I really love it. :smile:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    to be 19 again.
  • mellenorris
    mellenorris Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I used to be you! This last weekend I ran my longest distance without stopping to walk: six miles. Seven slated for tomorrow!

Keep it up. When I started, shin splints KILLED me. Like, they took me out of running for a year. At least.

Get fitted for good shoes (go to a running specialty store).

Don't be afraid to go slow and steady (sounds like you're good on that part already - don't push for too much speed too soon!).

Be strong, and use an app that inspires you! I love RunKeeper - I love seeing new records for distance, pace, elevation climb... you know, the works. Plus looking at a map of ground I covered makes me feel awesome :) don't be afraid to rock a fanny pack or arm band :P
  • running_free_1984
    running_free_1984 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Everyone starts and finds it hard. After a month the difference will be huge. After several you'll be flying along. I started running at the beginning of the year and was doing a 5 k in 40 mins or more. My record for distance is now 10 miles and I've done a 5 k in 26 mins.

It really does get better fast. Oh yeah, i also had abdominal surgery in April and still managed above. So don't give up on it!

On the 21st of September i have a Super Spartan 8mile obstacle race and I want to smash it to pieces! Get some goals in mind and work towards them and don't over push yourself.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    LOL. I hear you. I'm trying to learn how to run too. It hurts like heck, but it feels good too. Turns out I can run for a whole 60 seconds at a time. Then I have to walk for three or four minutes, then I do it about three more times and after that I get this huge feeling of accomplishment...as long as I don't see anyone else actually running for long periods of time. I hear it gets better, but so far I've hurt both of my knees and some tendon on the top of my foot that I didn't know existed, but I'm not giving up. We can do it.
  • smaihlee
    smaihlee Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    All of you who are new to this or are considering starting a C25K program, let me encourage you to join the "Couch to 5K Running Program (C25K)" group on MFP. It's a great group of people all in the same boat as you, either now or in the past, who provide lots of great encouragement and advice.

You'll quickly find you're not alone and I think you'll be encouraged to see what amazing things people have done that didn't think they would ever be able to run. I started the C25K program in April and have taken a couple breaks since then and repeated Weeks 5 and 6 a few times, but I don't stress. When I started I literally could not run 1 minute without feeling like I was going to hyperventilate. Now I have run as much as 20 minutes as a time. I'm not progressing as quickly as I'd hoped, but I AM PROGRESSING. Everyone has obstacles to overcome on the path to a better you, so use others' experiences as a reference, not the rulebook.

Good luck!
  • amyjpage
    amyjpage Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    the way I see it ... if you're not walking, you're running. Regardless of your speed.

I don't like the word "jogging"

And be patient, acquiring distance and speed come with time. Keep it up and before you know it you'll be sailing past all those houses without a huff or puff in sight!
  • jessspurr
    jessspurr Posts: 258 Member
    Options

And since I can't see myself when I'm running, I figure it's really everyone else's problem what I look like.

I adore this. This is so absolutely true!!
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I did the couch to 5k program.
    Got myself up to 30 minutes straight at about a 12 minute mile.
    I can still do it if I push myself.
    But I just really don't like jogging that much.
    Quasimodo seizure thundering isn't for me :wink:
    My personal opinion is that God gifted some people to be better runners than others.
    Like the Kenyans who win the marathons every year.
    But I digress.
    I much prefer aerobic and strength classes since they keep me motivated and challenged.
    Do what works for you to stay fit and active :smile:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It will get easier! Set reasonable goals and push yourself a little more each time. It does take a while though. Your body has to adjust and built up muscle and lung capacity. Once that happens, it should be more enjoyable!
  • Vaillencourt
    Options
    It took me a whole year to be able to run a whole hour (5.5 - 6 miles) without stopping. I still do go through the "ohgodisthisjogoverwithyetIthinkmightbedieing" days. But I think it is about dedications and things do become better but you keep pushing more sometimes without realizing it. I just realized I was running faster then I did 6 months ago. My suggestions, and you can take them for a grain of salt. Slow down and don't be in a hurry to get from point A to point B, Use a rolling pin all those aching muscles and eat what doesn't mess with you stomach.
  • vegancami
    Options
    It was very helpful reading all these replies. I started "running" three weeks ago in a last attempt of getting rid of the final 20 pounds (together with calorie counting of course) and I hate it. I hate every second of it - except for the last four minutes. I've been "running" 30 minutes in different speeds (walk 2 min, jog 2 min, run 2 min a super ultra gonna die run 1 min) and after minute 26 I'm suddenly like "oh my, you are not dead, this actually feels..ok". Must be a serotonin thing. So far I've been doing it 5 times a week and I can see that my endurance has changed, during the first week there was no way I could jog/run for mores than two minutes.

Good music is key for me! Focusing on listening to the songs and not thinking about how much I feel like I'm going to die works well.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    The following are just my opinion :wink:

1- You can call yourself a jogger when you decide you like it enough to keep doing it. So, you're there! You are a jogger :smile: :drinker:

2- If you're not a hot mess, you're not pushing yourself enough. Right now, for you, that's shuffling along, cursing, and walking most of the way. In a couple of months, you'll probably be able to run that same distance easily and in less time, but if you are gliding down the street with hair flowing behind and looking all pretty and cute, it's probably time to increase your speed. You get the best workout when you're pushing, and that's where gains in endurance, speed, and any other reason for running, are made. :happy: [No, you don't have to feel like you're dying the entire time, but if I'm not worn out by the time I get home and dripping in sweat, my opinion is that I could have done more!!]