So what's up with this whole "jogging" thing?

Options
13»

Replies

• jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It just gets easier by doing it more often. I started back on June 29th and couldn't even complete a 1/4 mile without being out of breath and now I've run a 7:29 mile and a 26:59 5K doing trail runs... really the best advice is go at your own pace and don't give up on it
  • _useyourwords_
    Options
    You are a runner the minute you lace up your sneakers and hit the pavement. Just keep going out there and running and eventually your stamina will increase. I have just started using the C25K app and so far, so good. Before that, I would just run as far as I could before feeling like I would pass out, then I'd walk until I caught my breath again. Over and over. LOL!
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I've been jogging/running on and off for many years, and I'm not good at it (i.e. fast, easy gait, hair flowing how you described, etc.), but for some crazy reason I like it.

I remember when I first started I couldn't even go a block or two without feeling like I was going to die. Then one day I went running with a friend (who was way more experienced than I was), and I was surprised to find how slowly she went. I had been trying to "race" around the neighborhood and was wearing myself out! At her pace, I was able to go an easy couple of miles and it felt great! So my advice to you is: slow down, maybe you're running too fast for starters!

THIS THIS THIS!!!!
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I started running years ago, then gave it up, then restarted a couple years ago. I really enjoyed it. It took me a good few weeks to be able to run a couple miles straight, and now when I run, I only do 3 or 4 miles. I have done a couple of 10 k runs, but I think I am done with that. I'm not in it for the competition, I just do it out of enjoyment.

If you really like it, stick with it. The first mile is always the hardest.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Okay...

You aren't a jogger, you are a runner. Only noobs use the word jogger. Even if you are the slowest runner on the street, you are still a runner. Get rid of that foul word this instant!

Yep! Call yourself a runner.

And it gets easier, although it may never be enjoyable for you. I hate it but I still do it.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I am a huge nerd so zombies! Run was perfect! Its a game that teaches you how to run a 5k :) def worth it
  • heatherfazelinia
    Options
    GIRL! Let me tell you. I was never fit my whole life, with the exception of when I was a child. At around the age of 12 I was a smoker for a solid 10 years, then off and on again for several years thereafter. What made me quit smoking was in fact the desire to be a jogger, although I never really believed I could do it.

I injured my back and have a compressed L5 so I started physical therapy, which was probably the best move I have ever made. When I started PT, I learned that I have mild scoliosis, and my legs are not aligned properly. When I first began to jog I think I ran a good 30 seconds without stopping then I was pooped lol. That was only 4-5 months ago. I also injured my achilles because of improper shoes, which put me off from most physical activity for 2-4 weeks. I was made aware that my feet supinate (when I run or jump I land on the sides of my feet rather than with the middle big toe, which is improper and made me injure my right ankle).

Today, 5 months later, I can run 35 minutes at 5 mph, without injury and without stopping! My goal is 6 MPH for 45 minutes non stop. IT IS POSSIBLE!

It is a learning curve, you want to make sure you do not injure yourself. You also want to make sure you are running properly; with your hamstrings and gluts to propel you forward. I suggest watching some professional runners (long distance not sprinting) to get an idea. You want to make sure you are activating the right muscles which takes some time to train your brain. Make sure you have good foot support. Take it slow so you have the right form over speed/duration. After you train your brain to run properly then you can work on duration, and then speed. It helps to strengthen core and leg muscles for this activity as well, so consider some other strength training activity which can actually be done with solely your body ( little to no other objects needed). Make sure you have an empty stomach, and make sure you are hydrated. It will get easier I promise! Please don't give up!!!!!!!!!
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options