Carbs versus Calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP, why don't you at least *attempt* the diet plan laid out by the nutritionist? Give it a month before poo-pooing it.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    There is no bad food. Carbs aren't bad, they fuel your brain. I have lost my weight to date while incorporating daily carbs and fruit.

You should replace what you work off, at least some of it. What are your stats, we can figure up your BMR and move from there.

Poke around the forums for other threads like yours, too; there are tons of answers here.

Carbs aren't required for energy. Your brain gets plenty of fuel from protein that is converted to glucose. Not every calorie is created equal, and each macronutrient has a different effect on the body.

Personally, I eat low carb and low calorie. Ultimately, it all boils down to calories. BUT, the type of calorie can make a big difference.

How big of a difference are we talking about.

^^ Good question! I notice a huge difference in energy levels and satiety when I include *all* three macros at all three meals. If I *do* get hungry between meals, carbs are my friend.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    There is no bad food. Carbs aren't bad, they fuel your brain. I have lost my weight to date while incorporating daily carbs and fruit.

You should replace what you work off, at least some of it. What are your stats, we can figure up your BMR and move from there.

Poke around the forums for other threads like yours, too; there are tons of answers here.

Carbs aren't required for energy. Your brain gets plenty of fuel from protein that is converted to glucose. Not every calorie is created equal, and each macronutrient has a different effect on the body.

Personally, I eat low carb and low calorie. Ultimately, it all boils down to calories. BUT, the type of calorie can make a big difference.

Well, carbs are converted into glucose. Glucose spikes your insulin levels. Fat has no effect on insulin, and protein has a minimal effect (protein is converted to glucose via glycogenesis). My body is currently using ketones for energy, because I'm eating primarily fat.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Well, carbs are converted into glucose. Glucose spikes your insulin levels. Fat has no effect on insulin, and protein has a minimal effect (protein is converted to glucose via glycogenesis). My body is currently using ketones for energy, because I'm eating primarily fat.

Protein is highly insulinogenic, not what I would consider minimal
  • dsmock77
    dsmock77 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    For some reason I could not stick to the low carb diet...and even though I said id never count calories....its the thing that is totally working for me! When this app said I needed to stay below 1200 calories I was like, no way will I manage that, but I have!!! Ive been under every day since the 5th! Ive lost 7 lbs so far, which I would like to have lost more than that, but im doing it the right way and making it a lifestye change!! Its gonna take time, but I have nothing but!! Good luck!!!
  • kgoodman0108
    Options

Would you mind going into more detail? From what I've read, its minimal and that only excess protein is converted, or at least the amount needed for the brain to function properly.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options

I understand insulin responses but you said the type of calorie can make a big difference. A big difference on weight loss if you're eating at a caloric deficit already? Or a difference in insulin response?

Diabetes is not the response I'm looking for. I'm not diabetic and neither are the majority.

A large majority of individuals who are moderately/severely overweight are insulin resistant. Insulin resistance can lead to diabetes. Yeah, it matters very little if you are already relatively healthy and looking to lose 20 pounds. But for someone who is much more overweight, macros do matter.

I am insulin resistant from being overweight since childhood. I've tried and struggled with simply counting calories and not caring where they came from. My point is, for the people who truly need help on this website, macros do matter. By eating a majority of calories from carbs, you're just making things more difficult.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Would you mind going into more detail? From what I've read, its minimal and that only excess protein is converted, or at least the amount needed for the brain to function properly.

Low carb propaganda would lead you to beleive that, however it is not true

Holt et al. An insulin index of foods: the insulin demand generated by 1000-kJ portions of common foods. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://www.ajcn.org/content/66/5/1264.full.pdf+html

Östman et al. Inconsistency between glycemic and insulinemic responses to regular and fermented milk products. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition

http://www.ajcn.org/content/74/1/96.full

The insulinogenic effect of whey protein is partially mediated by a direct effect of amino acids and GIP on β-cells

http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/9/1/48
  • emmalouc93
    emmalouc93 Posts: 328 Member
    Options

This. A lifestyle change can never be sustained by cutting something out
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Also, i am allowed 1200 cals a day, but i workout and burn about 700 a day - should i be replacing those calories lost with food? Or only stick to the 1200.

Any tips on helping me lose weight would be helpful in my situation. I am pretty depressed that i have been working so hard and my weight wont seem to shift.

Counting calories with any accuracy requires a lot of time and effort.
    But Do this and you *will* lose weight:

1) Eat mostly to get the nutrition your body needs, and less for enjoyment. Establish a healthful diet and learn to enjoy healthful foods.

2) Three meals a day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner. That's it. No snacks, and no "in between" meals.

3) Give up sugar. No sugar in coffee, soda, or on cereal. Give up fruit juice -- it's mainly just another form of sugar. Water is the only liquid you need.

4) In the beginning, establish a very regulated moderate calorie diet. Don't follow any sort of fad. Just pick a selection of foods that add up to a normal balanced diet -- whole grains, veggies, fruit, dairy, a little meat, etc. But start out by having exactly the same three meals each day -- the same foods and the same amounts. Weigh the portions on a scale. Consider frozen dinners. Healthy Choice, Lean Cuisine, Kashi, Smart Ones, and probably other brands have several that are low in calories and saturated fat, 25% daily value or less of sodium, and high in fiber.

5) Weigh yourself every day on a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but with a constant diet it should trend down over every two or three days. If it doesn't, eliminate items from your diet or reduce the size of portions until your weight does go down. (If you don't have a 0.2 lb. accuracy scale, I'd recommend the EatSmart Precision Plus Digital Scale, which is sold on Amazon.) Don't obsess over the scale — let it be your friend and point the way to a weight losing diet.

6) When you have achieved a weight losing diet, then you can start making adjustments to add variety, but make sure that you keep losing weight.

7) Maintain your exercise program.

1) You can still eat healthful food that benefits your body that you actually enjoy. It's called COOKING. Google is your best friend when it comes to ground turkey, chicken, vegetables, any other recipe. Hell- there is a healthy version for just about anything you want. Just do a little research. I had shrimp alfredo (made with greek yogurt) last night for dinner. I was under my calorie goal and dinner was amazing.

2) Eat when you're hungry. I eat breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. The "3 meal a day" thing is crap if you're hungry all the time.

3) You don't need to COMPLETELY give up sugar. I still get sugar in my diet, just not refined sugar (white breads, crackers, cakes, other "junk" food). I get my sugars from fruit, vegetables, limited dairy, etc.

4) You don't need to eat the same thing everyday. If control is your problem, make a list for yourself of some good recipes, healthy snacks you like, etc. and build your day off of that list. And, I avoid frozen dinners like the plague. If you REALLY have to, go for it. But it's a last resort for me.

5) Weigh yourself ONCE a week, at the same time each week (I do Monday mornings when I wake up before I work out or eat/drink anything). Also, a measuring tape will be your best friend. There are weeks where I lose nothing but drop in measurements.

6) You can have variety from the start. I can't stress enough how much Google can be your best friend when it comes to preparing food for yourself. I have 4 binders at home FILLED with recipes by section- chicken recipes, desserts, side dishes, etc.

7) Maintain your exercise program.... WHAT?! Okay, I actually agree with this one. But I will add that a consistent, healthy diet is absolutely key.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    My point is, for the people who truly need help on this website, macros do matter. By eating a majority of calories from carbs, you're just making things more difficult.

I have to disagree. My macros are set to 45/20/35 and I'm doing my body all kinds of favors by losing fat and not overeating anymore, not to mention regular exercise.
  • kgoodman0108
    Options
    My point is, for the people who truly need help on this website, macros do matter. By eating a majority of calories from carbs, you're just making things more difficult.

I have to disagree. My macros are set to 45/20/35 and I'm doing my body all kinds of favors by losing fat and not overeating anymore, not to mention regular exercise.

That's fine, by all means keep doing what works. I was just giving my input. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to nutrition. We could debate for hours and still wouldn't come to an agreement.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

That's fine, by all means keep doing what works. I was just giving my input. There's no right or wrong answer when it comes to nutrition. We could debate for hours and still wouldn't come to an agreement.

Right. I was just pointing it out. There's no way I could have lost all this weight if I had to do without sugar, bread, cereal, etc.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    At the early stages such as you are the high carb, low carb debate is not important. The whole topic of carbs needs to be discussed with the context of where a person is at. Right now you should be able to drop weight using any calorie restriction. If you are not losing, please examine your methods to track your food quantities. I doubt you are eating 1200cal and will remain skeptical until you explain your methods. Resist the urge to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Some of us function better on low carbs and if you are one, by all means stick to it, but don't think it is required.

If you are seeking a low BF level it is very likely at some point you may need to lower your carb levels for reasons that can be found in a number of books. There is research that proves women do have it a bit more difficult when it comes to fat loss.
  • Rachyk9
    Rachyk9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The last time I followed my nutritionist's advice I lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks, and I ate a LOT of food! Whether or not losing that quickly is sustainable can still be argued (I didn't sustain it...), but they know what they're doing - assuming you got a good nutritionist.

He/she is making sure you get everything you need in your diet, and yes, you need carbs.

And yes, eat back most of your exercise calories. Get a heart rate monitor if you want a more accurate count of what you burned than what MFP gives.

The thing is, my nutritionist is telling me i cant eat back the calories i have to only eat 1200 calories. For dinner she has allowed me to have 30g of protein, 1 cup of veggies and 20g rice. this is the tiniest amount, and after my workout i am more hungry. i end up with hunger pangs in the night.

when i log in that amount, it is nothing.

thought?
  • Rachyk9
    Rachyk9 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The last time I followed my nutritionist's advice I lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks, and I ate a LOT of food! Whether or not losing that quickly is sustainable can still be argued (I didn't sustain it...), but they know what they're doing - assuming you got a good nutritionist.

He/she is making sure you get everything you need in your diet, and yes, you need carbs.

And yes, eat back most of your exercise calories. Get a heart rate monitor if you want a more accurate count of what you burned than what MFP gives.

The thing is, my nutritionist is telling me i cant eat back the calories i have to only eat 1200 calories. For dinner she has allowed me to have 30g of protein, 1 cup of veggies and 20g rice. this is the tiniest amount, and after my workout i am more hungry. i end up with hunger pangs in the night.

when i log in that amount, it is nothing.

thought?

She also tells me not to eat back any calories and just stay with 1200 a day, but when i exercise and burn 700. That puts me in 700 deficit, ontop of my deficit or 300 from my BMR. Surely that cant be healthy?