Sugar ?!

bbygrl5
bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
So I just have to say it... I DON'T care about my sugar levels! LOL! My question to you is am I being stubborn and should I?

Except for occasional splurges, the majority of my sugar intake is from natural sources, mostly fruit. I refuse to believe that I have to stay away from food that has the good nutrients my body needs. I will always eat fruit and I don't care if it's 3-4 pieces every day! lol I am almost always over my sugar intake for the day, even on the healthiest of days.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts. I know there is a lot of information and misinformation out there on topics like this, but I assure you I am a very respectful person who doesn't want to turn this into a debate. I just want to hear what YOU think. :)

Replies

• Yeah, I stopped keeping track of sugar in my food diary. I was always going waaaay over, because a lot of fruit is high in "natural" sugars. I do try to limit processed sugars and "junk food" of course. And I don't think that anyone needs more than 3-4 servings of fruit per day.
  • I would definitely stop tracking your sugar and track something else. Unfortunately, MFP doesn't distinguish between natural and artificial sugar so if you are eating a lot of fruit like you should be, then your sugar is always going to be over which in turn could potentially leave you feeling defeated.
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    I have always been that way my self, until I learned the hard way, that if I consume too much sugar, even though I maintain my calories for the day, my blood sugar it self would go up. and we all know what happens if that keeps up for a long time.
  • I think the issue of blood sugar is a good one to raise. I get my sugar from fruits but I limit myself to 2-300g a day maximum and eat mostly berries for good natural sugar xxx
  • lt3ag4s
    lt3ag4s Posts: 835 Member
    Unless you are Diabetic or Hyperglycemic, I wouldnt worry about it.
  • Unless you are Diabetic or Hyperglycemic, I wouldnt worry about it.

I agree, if you are eating natural sugar, and keeping a healthy balance of all the nutrients you need with your diet. Sugar is not an evil, don't avoid it, as with everything else, just don't overuse it.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Thanks for the responses everyone! I love these forums and bouncing ideas off each other. :)
  • So this raises a good question: Does consuming sugar make you more susceptable to Diabetes? Does it matter if it is sugar from natural sources, refined, or (dare I even say the evil word) High Fructose Corn Syrup?

My opinion is that you should try to consume sugar from natural sources as much as possible, but sugar itself is just a form of calories (unless you are diabetic). So long as you are eating a balanced diet there is no issue with consuming sugars. Am I correct in this?
  • As a vegan I actually can't way alot of sweets like choc and icecream. But I'm almost always ofer as well thanks to fruit, yogurt e.t.c I wouldn't fuss over suger if it natural!
This discussion has been closed.