I feel discouraged

Options
Hello everyone,

I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Mimi. I've been trying to lose weight since this past winter. I admit, I went gung ho and may have overdone it back when I started :bigsmile: .

My body can't seems to keep up with my brain. I used to run competively back in high school (now that was a lifetime ago).

I try to run regularly but I always end up with running injuries mainly shin splints, hip bursitis or foot pain. It feels like my body will never get the hang of this active lifestyle after living a sedentary lifestyle for over 10 years. Generally I eat healthy and control my sugar intake, but I do feel defeated specially when I have to cut a workout short due to a pain in my hip or lower legs. Then I binge on cookies (I'm ashamed to admit it :cry: ) .

I dream of running again but so far all I can do is jog.

(and for the record I've been to a pedorthist recenlty and got custom made orthotics. I thought this would be a mistake but so far I've been very comfortable in them...hopefully it helps with shin splints (fingers crossed)) . I took a break from running AGAIN.

My weight has now been fluctuating between 171.8-167 lbs, I can't seemed to be able to break away. :brokenheart:

Any advice, anyone ?

Replies

• kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about doing HIIT on an elliptical trainer instead, for low impact? I'll never be a runner because of collapsed arches and weak ankles, but my fitness increased dramatically with HIIT. Or try rowing? That's a whole body workout.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Start slow :wink:

Seriously why push yourself to failure right from the word go?

Start with walks at a pace you feel comfortable with and your body can cope with then build up from there. Log all of your food and try and meet your MFP goals, I did and suddenly I was eating healthier than I ever have before.

I suffered with cramps and heartburn before I started this and, touch wood, these have stopped and on another post on unexpected benefits someone actually mentioned that their shin splints had gone away.

So build up slowly and use all the support you can get from people on this site as we are all striving to achieve similar goals
  • bethany6709
    Options
    Maybe try to work on your fitness with low impact exercises first. It will be your best chance of not getting hurt. Swimming, biking and the elliptical might be better for your body for right now. Then you can slowly incorporate running. But if you feel like you need to run then you can go till you have to stop due to injuries and complete the workout on a low impact machine so you don't feel bad not finishing.

Don't worry, sometimes it take a while to get into a groove. Once you figure out what works for you it will get easier to continue the routine each day.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner, but I did have to work through shin splints and plantar fasciitis. I found walking on our high school track was easier on my feet and shins. The surface has a bit of a give to it, like a basketball.

The next best place was a treadmill, since that was also more forgiving than the street.

Point is, baby yourself, and slowly work up to where your brain thinks you should be :-)
  • TINAHUNTER1969
    TINAHUNTER1969 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've had high blood pressure so not been able to do pilates, zumba or bootcam - since January I have been walking, 2-3 miles a night my friend has the app on her phone to tell you how fast you are walking. We walk all over now and have increased our fitness and our speed of walking.

I enjoy walking so much - very lucky in that I live beside the sea so lots of nice walks to choose from but I have found something I can manage, that I like and that I have stuck to for the past 8 months.

I started with just once or twice a week and now this week I have walked for 4 nights so far - on my walk if there is a bank or steps I go up and down them to get a bit more out of my workout and I feel so much better.

Try just walking and enjoy the view or go with friends and just put the world to rights, you feel so much better for it and it doesn't hurt your legs or ankles, its like anything you start slow and work your way up.

I started on MFP in May and took measurements, when I took them mid-August I'd lost 4" from my hips.

So what if you have a cookie, just move on and do better the next day.

I am trying to look at things with a glass half full attitude (go me and I don't even drink alcohol).

Stop putting pressure on yourself and find something that you can do without causing injury, do that for a while to build your strength up and then start pushing yourself a little at a time.

Good luck
  • Mimi28793
    Options
    Thank you Kathleen, Chris, Bethenny, Christine and last but not least Tina :smile:
    Thank you for your encouragements and great advice.

I started packing the weight when I started working from home, I barely went anywhere. The kitchen is right there so I ate more and more while working. I love working from home and don't miss comunting at all but I also feel I have no social life. My clothes got too small and then I was even dreading going to the grocery store. Then we got a diagnosis that our youngest (4 year old son) had autism when he was 2. Food became my best friend at that time. I was always trying new baking recipes and baked every day and of course, ate everything too :embarassed:

Finally this winter I snapped out of it and thought in order for me to be a good wife and mom I have to take care of myself. My kids need the best mom they can get so that inspired me to try to learn to run again. (I almost died the first time I ran. My lungs were on fire). But I was on a mission to find balance emotionally and physically so I went out every day at minus30 celcius (Ottawa winters are nasty). I think this is when I didn't listen to my body's feedback and didn't take it easy. I'm more cautious now :smile: , lesson well learned for sure.

Kathleen I heard of HIIT training but I actually never done it. I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't have a gym membership so I just go out for jogs. Running outdoors I hear can be harder than on a treadmill. I might just invest in a treadmill so at least like Tina suggested I can walk when I am unable to jog. My pedorthist also suggested walking a lot, he said it makes the legs stronger which is very logical. I was a vegetable wanting to run a marthon :bigsmile: crazy !

To Chris, I completely agree with your take it easy approach, it wasn't fair for me to expect so much out of my body after a decade and more of neglecting it :ohwell:
    That eating journal, I'm starting it for sure. It might help me stay away from the snack cupboard.

To Bethanny, thank you for saying that sometimes it might takes us time to get there, it makes me hopeful that things will get better. In the meantime, I might ride my bike more often. (I stopped riding the bike when my son got too big for his bike trailer, he can't ride normal bike yet so we can't all go as a family like we used to :frown: )

Christine, thank you for being so kind too, there's a college not far from my house but surprisingly they have no running track. They only have a football field :-( . I'm going to talk my husband into buying us a treadmill. :bigsmile:

Thank you everyone for all the support :flowerforyou: I don't know why I didn't post a message sooner. This is not going to be my last time that's for sure. I will report back on my progresses and my new orthotics :heart: , and hopefully a treadmill will be in the near future.

ps: sorry for my bad grammar, my first language is French and I didn't pay attention during English classes lol.... bisoux
  • TemikaThompson
    TemikaThompson Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you posted this! I'm going to get a treadmill now also! My shins hurt really bad also and I didn't know why...thanks again this really helped me
    Edited to add: I've never been a runner or a walker for that matter lol
  • Mimi28793
    Options
    Sure ! I'm glad I can help Temika :smile: Let's embark on this journey to kicking the shin splints to the curb together. I will keep you posted for sure :-)
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    If running is definitely your thing then a treadmill will be great but have you considered an elliptical trainer? The workouts are good, when I checked out my local gym the other day I burned a similar amount of calories from 10 mins on the elliptical as I did from 30 mins walking at 5.5 MPH on the treadmill.

On top of that its zero impact and for me thats an important consideration too :happy:
  • Mimi28793
    Options
    Hi Chris, I may sound crazy saying this but I love evrything about running. I watch track & fields videos, follow the IAAF news, I still receive running magazines, read books about running (I recommend Scott Jurek 'Eat & Run') . I feel like this is the passion that got away. When I decided to get back in shape naturally running came to mind. However, reallistically my body can't keep up with my ambitious plans and so I can see why you would suggest the elliptical machine. I would be getting the cardio minus the injury. Definitely something to consider.
    I'm going to run some errands today, I will stop by the fitness depot to try some of their machines there and ask the experts opinions on the right machine for me. I'll report back :-)
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Will look forward to hearing what they say
  • Mimi28793
    Options
    Hi Chris, I got to try a couple of ellipticals and steppers. I really liked the Bremshey elliptical machine, a little out my price range but it was quiet wich is great for night time workouts. I like the steppers too but they were very expensive. I think I just might go back for the elliptical. First gotta convince the hubby that my life and his happiness depend on it :bigsmile:
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I've had the same problems with running and would love to get back into it. I do the elliptical combined with strength training a couple times a week which seems to help with weight loss. I also work from home frequently which makes it difficult for me when I'm trying to watch what I eat! I'll send you a friend request. : )
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Similar problem! I used to run marathons, but now can hardly get through a wog (walk/run) without hurting myself!

I got in shape for running originally (have a trick knee) by doing step aerobics. I also found the eliptical kept me in shape for running without the heavy impact.

Make sure you NEVER run on concrete. Run trails if you can - that is a GREAT way to build strength without the impact.

I don't have quite the drive you do to run again, so I'm quite happy with my wogs for now. :smile:
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Hi Chris, I got to try a couple of ellipticals and steppers. I really liked the Bremshey elliptical machine, a little out my price range but it was quiet wich is great for night time workouts. I like the steppers too but they were very expensive. I think I just might go back for the elliptical. First gotta convince the hubby that my life and his happiness depend on it :bigsmile:

Steppers do seem to be expensive don't they. I was wondering how the elliptical trainer prices compared to those of a treadmill? I am looking at second hand elliptical and they can be real bargains
  • milove1029
    milove1029 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    First, don't give up! Second, it's not what activity you do just make sure you input everything you eat into your diary to keep accurate track, and input all of your activities even if it's walking. You do not have to run or job. Make sure what you intake is less than what you burn. It works, hang in there. :smile:
  • yckarenchen
    yckarenchen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey! Don't be discouraged! :) you're doing great by trying to get back to running! Some cross-training like swimming or yoga would really help you. I have the same thing - running is a high impact exercise so you would feel hurt.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think investing in an elliptical trainer or a treadmill at home would be great, especially as you could jump on it when your child naps, or if you're still working from home, schedule a workout into your day. I personally prefer the elliptical trainer as it is low impact, but I can still push myself really hard if I want to.

There's a good article on HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) here http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/11/30/exercise-anti-aging-impacts.aspx. If you have an iPod touch or an iPhone, there are some really good apps that set interval timers for you. A list of apps here http://greatist.com/fitness/10-interval-training-mobile-apps-download-right-now. The theory behind HIIT is that you don't need to do as much cardio, workouts should be 30 minutes MAX. Your fitness will increase dramatically, and quickly. I really am an advocate of walking too, especially if you're experiencing pain. Be gentle on yourself, ease back in, let your body set the pace at which your fitness increases, and push yourself a little further when you feel you're ready to.
  • trackmyday1973
    trackmyday1973 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better too.

I feel discouraged, depressed tonight. I even binged for the first time since I joined a little over a month tonight.

Please feel free to add me as a friend. Anyone.

Thank you.
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    I am sorry to hear that. I hope you feel better too.

I feel discouraged, depressed tonight. I even binged for the first time since I joined a little over a month tonight.

Please feel free to add me as a friend. Anyone.

Thank you.

Often there are little triggers that cause you to feel discouraged and subsequently eat and we rarely know they are there. While I am sure you will return to logging food stuffs and eating healthy, if you can identify what the trigger was in can help you cope in the future