FELL OFF THE WAGON... PLEASE HELP ME GET BACK ON.

Options

Replies

• _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The way to not fall off the wagon again is to make the decision not to fall off again.
    Make it a lifestyle change.
    Make the changes sustainable, things that you can incorporate into your regular day to day life.
    Decide that you are worth the effort.
  • ailbheoconnell
    ailbheoconnell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Can you be the person(s) to help me get back on the wagon?

Hi Julia, you have to get yourself back on the wagon.
  • LindaLou0802
    LindaLou0802 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Please feel free to add me, too. I started out great but then fell off the wagon a little as well. I am back on, and hoping to find some friends here to help motivate and keep me accountable. I try to motivate others as much as I can. :)
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    ANyone can feel free to add me, I am pretty active here, and I know what life is like! I am down almost 100# but that was not with out long bouts of gains and off the wagon months. I have a full time job, a kid, a boyfriend, I know that real life is not always easy to manage. I would love to be part of your support to stick to it this time around!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

Can you be the person(s) to help me get back on the wagon?

Hi Julia, you have to get yourself back on the wagon.

Van-Der-Beek-High-Five-GIF.gif
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    "Falling off the wagon" and then "getting back on the wagon" implies that:

1. You were just riding along, hit a bump and you fell off, through no fault or control of your own.
    2. Once you lose all your weight, you can finally get off of that damn wagon (that we all hate) and be fine...

In my opinion, you have to think of it in terms of a permanent change, not something you "get on" and then "get off" again. Think about why you eat the things you do. Change your relationship with food - from something that comforts and rewards you, to something that nourishes your body to function properly.

Forget the wagon. just decide to take a new path, whether you're on a wagon, a bicycle, or walking. You're WORTH being thin and healthy, and it's entirely within your control to do so.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It's all up to you. It's about the choices you make day to day, even sometimes moment by moment. If you make a bad choice, you don't have to throw in the towel for the whole day (week, month.....). This is how you stay on the wagon. You realize that one slip doesn't mean you have blown it.
  • lsodolak
    lsodolak Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am struggling too. Trying to conquer this sugar addiction that has crept back into my life. I would love to be your friend! Feel free to add me and I will cheer you on.

I am open to adding many friends, so if anyone would like to add me I would be happy to accept and cheer and push you all through this journey.
  • ladyeofani
    ladyeofani Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I've fallen off the wagon more than a few times. Please keep in mind tomorrow is a new day and a fresh start to regain control. It's in your hands!
  • bohocherry
    Options
    Hi! you can add me to! i'm new to the sight and could use some people to keep me on track as well. also I can answer plenty of nutrition and workout questions if you have them! :)
  • PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just started back too, last week. Last year I lost 40 pounds from March to September then fell and broke my hip and the weight crept back up as I recovered. Would love to join you in your efforts. I take it you're from the land down under as you are looking forward to Summer at this point. I actually think summer is a really good time to start since you can be outside a bit more and all the good fruit and veg start coming in. Good luck and feel free to add me to your Pals.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.

there, OP. Seriously.

....and for the workout schedule.. I'm gonna jump right out and thumbs down the 1200 calorie goal.

Make the "wagon" easier to stay on.
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    "Falling off the wagon" and then "getting back on the wagon" implies that:

1. You were just riding along, hit a bump and you fell off, through no fault or control of your own.
    2. Once you lose all your weight, you can finally get off of that damn wagon (that we all hate) and be fine...

In my opinion, you have to think of it in terms of a permanent change, not something you "get on" and then "get off" again. Think about why you eat the things you do. Change your relationship with food - from something that comforts and rewards you, to something that nourishes your body to function properly.

Forget the wagon. just decide to take a new path, whether you're on a wagon, a bicycle, or walking. You're WORTH being thin and healthy, and it's entirely within your control to do so.

Excellent way to look at it!!
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines.
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
    Take the tips, links, and info above and make the cart more manageable.

there, OP. Seriously.

....and for the workout schedule.. I'm gonna jump right out and thumbs down the 1200 calorie goal.

Make the "wagon" easier to stay on.

Also, read ALL of the above ^^ do everything this guy says.
  • juliasays77
    juliasays77 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I feel drawn to help out a fellow Julia. :) sending you a friend request. I log on and record daily, 175 days straight today!
  • ishiqa36
    ishiqa36 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hi,

i also fell of the wagon. i lost 50lbs at one point but i gained 25lbs back after i got sick. im just getting back on the wagon. feel free to add me. and anyone else on here =)
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    The only person that can get you back on the wagon is yourself. I am sure you want support and I understand that. However, ultimately, you're the only one who can make that decision and do it.

yes!! brilliant.

i hope that the OP can find the motivation to re-start her new lifestyle....but this has to come from within.
  • ikrissyt
    ikrissyt Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know how hard it can be to get motivated again after going through medical issues. I'm starting all over again too and have an arthritis-like condition. But WE CAN DO IT!!!! :smile:
  • batgirl140
    batgirl140 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi Julia, feel free to add me as a friend. This is a hard road to go down alone, so much encouragement is needed! :)
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Girl, I have over 100 pounds to lose and I am just starting. I feel your pain! I will do whatever I can for ya! ;D