Jogging

Options
I want to jog but every time I start, I last like a minute. How can I improve on my length to start jogging and keep going. Is there an app or book or device that can help me get motivated. What works for you ? I Ann planning on doing the half marathon again this year but I don't want to walk it all the way. Any help is appreciated :)

Replies

• jlmelton0509
    jlmelton0509 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is a Couch to 5 K app that I have heard is quite good. I haven't tried it yet, but I have it on my phone. It's hard to get out to jog when you have two small children and a husband that works out of state. :) I hope that helps! Good luck!
  • kita_254
    kita_254 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    C25K. I ran 25 min straight yesterday and today. It starts you off slow to help you improve your stamina. Plus you only have to do it 3 days a week and you can repeat weeks if you want. Since starting this program I can now safely call myself a runner. Good luck!
  • Rurouni_Kou
    Rurouni_Kou Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I also recommend the Couch to 5k plan! It worked outstandingly for me. I also saw this on lifehacker and it looked fun, I haven't tried it yet though: http://lifehacker.com/zombies-run-is-currently-on-sale-for-75-off-1221761126
  • generallyme2
    generallyme2 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I've never personally used the c25k but I hear that a lot of people like it. I'd say the best thing to do is to stick with it! Right now, you're doing a minute, next week you can do 2 even if you feel like it's really slow. It does get easier over time. I remember getting back into running after my first kid. I was overweight and hadn't ran in about 10 years. I thought I would die the first mile. I STILL think that the first mile is the worst but then something clicks around mile 2 and it's great :)

Also, join a running group, even if it's just on FB. Someone to run with or chat with about running can make it more fun and toss ideas around :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Run slower. A lot slower than you think even if it's slower than your walking pace. You should be able to hold a conversation. I personally never got on with the couch to 5k as it was too structered and I hate things in my ears while running. So i just did my own walk /run routine.
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    Im having the same problems, i want to run but my lungs say no lol. I was going to do the c25k but i too hate things in my ear and i hate being told what to do lol. What iv decided is that when i drop my son at nursery i jog back home , its prob a mile and a half with the first quarter downhill. I jog til my ears feel like their going to burst walk for 30secs and jog again. I actually managed to run all the way only stopping for cars. Think the incentive is getting home for a cup of tea lol
  • Bluesmilie
    Bluesmilie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!!
  • 527michele
    527michele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started running this summer, too. I am doing HIITs, and I started by jogging one minute, walking one minute, for a total of twenty minutes. If you need longer recovery (walking) time in between, then take two minutes. Each workout, I tried to add a 1 1/2 minute run once. Finally, I did ten minutes of 1:1, then added 2 minute jogging with 2 minutes recovery in between. When I finish my 20 minutes of HIIT, I try to run for endurance. After doing it the entire summer, I am up to 8 minutes of straight running. Even when I can run longer, though, I will not give up my HIIT intervals because I believe that is what burns fat and is finally helping me lose weight. Good luck!
  • ziggypop93
    ziggypop93 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love Couch 2 5k. It is one of the things I do and it has really helped me start running.
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I use the ease into 5km app for my iPhone (bluefin is the company I think that made it).

I also used to (in the days before smart phones) the following: running 3 days a week 5 minute warm up and 5 minute cool down

* Week 1 Run 30 seconds walk 4.5 minutes , repeat 5 more times ( for total of 30 minutes)
    * week 2 Run 1 minute walk 4 minutes repeat 5 more times ( for total of 30 minutes)
    * Week 3 Run 1.5 minutes walk 3.5 repeat 5 more times ( for total of 30 minutes)

You get the point....adding 30 seconds of running take away 30 seconds of walking, worked and was simple to remember
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Run slower. A lot slower than you think even if it's slower than your walking pace. You should be able to hold a conversation. I personally never got on with the couch to 5k as it was too structered and I hate things in my ears while running. So i just did my own walk /run routine.

Bolded for emphasis. I didn't do C25K either I do coach a learn to run program that is pretty much the same idea. If it works for you great. Or you can loosely base your own program off of it.
    After C25K, there a bridge to 10k. You can go on from there.

Good luck.

Running is hard, but it's 80% mental. Whether you think you can or can't, you're right.
  • burnt_irish1
    burnt_irish1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I was the same as you until i got a running partner who would push me. I still can't keep up with her but i can now do a 33m 5k!! And truly, i could not jog/ trot 5 minutes about 6 months ago. Good luck!!!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I use the ease into 5k as well, which is the original Couch 2 5K program app, it's doing wonders for me and my running.
    I've tried the Zombies! Run app, but that is more 'just something different' than an actual program to get you up to 5k.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I started running in January. Used a C25K program. The main goal of any of them is to help you push yourself into longer runs. You can build endurance fairly fast with some sort of structured program that helps you push yourself mentally. As already said, it really is a mental challenge, besides physical. The advice about slowing your pace is also very good. To run longer, you simply find the proper pace for yourself. You'll naturally get faster as you progress.

I now run an average of 4 miles a run three times a week. I recently ran 9 miles straight (took me 2 hours). I have my first 10K race in a week, and am training to run a half-marathon in November. You can do it.:flowerforyou:
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I use the ease into 5k as well, which is the original Couch 2 5K program app, it's doing wonders for me and my running.
    I've tried the Zombies! Run app, but that is more 'just something different' than an actual program to get you up to 5k.

There is a Zombies!Run 5k app too, but it's separate from their running app. I have both and really enjoy them, they're enough to get me out the door week after week!
  • daver38
    daver38 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I want to jog but every time I start, I last like a minute. How can I improve on my length to start jogging and keep going. Is there an app or book or device that can help me get motivated. What works for you ? I Ann planning on doing the half marathon again this year but I don't want to walk it all the way. Any help is appreciated :)

I was exactly the same - started out on a treadmill and could do about 1:30 then had to walk. I joined a running club at my work, and the (patient) experienced runners there took me through a few run/walk sessions where I ran until I was exhausted then walked...then ran again...etc. This really worked for me and within 3 weeks my recovery had improved so much I could keep going. Like you, I'm running a half marathon (in 5 weeks :noway: and for charity to add to the pressure) but am confident that I can get round, running all the way, in about 2:15 - 2:20. Just wish someone had told me about run/walk when I was at school; could have been enjoying running so much earlier...
  • littleworm23
    littleworm23 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I started running just over a year ago and I was the same. I wanted to run, would start, go for a minute or so and feel like I couldn't breath. Slowly though that minute or so got longer and easier. A long walk turned into a long walk with jogging spurts then into into jogging with walking breaks and then into a jog. I agree with many that already posted, run slower, have patience and enjoy the experience. Good luck. :)
  • crazorbaq
    crazorbaq Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Many have already stated it but Couch 2 5k....you can get the plan online it is free and it works!!! that is how i started running and have never been able to run before that. It is a great EASY program!
  • TheLoneMarmot
    TheLoneMarmot Posts: 43 Member
    Options

A couple of years ago when I started I could only "run" (I call it run) for 1 minute then had to stop before my lungs exploded and my quads seized up. Then I had to walk for two minutes before I could "run" another minute, and so on.

This morning I ran my now usual 10 km (6.25 miles) in 42 minutes.

I just built up the running with longer run segments and shorter walk segments in between. I'm sure pretty much all these training programs do that.

Just stick with it.

Good luck.