How do I maximize weight loss?

Options
I've been steadily losing 1 pound a week for the past 10 weeks eating 1750 calories a day. I'm finding the calorie allotment quite easy to stick to, so I'm wondering what I should do to bump the loss up to 2 pounds a week. Should I cut my calories down? If so, by how much? When I ate 1450 calories a week, my weight loss was slower than at 1750, so I'm not sure if reducing calories would help? Not sure if increasing would either. Thoughts?

My stats are 5'7 and 237 pounds.

Don't get me wrong, I think losing a pound a week is great and I'm happy with it, but if there is something I can do to increase the loss I'm definitely willing to try it.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    You could eat less, but that's a short-sighted strategy. You have a lot of weight to lose, I recommend having patience.
  • FerociousKoala
    FerociousKoala Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    If you're losing regularly DO NOT cut more. If you cut more calories out, you can damage your metabolism and it will start running at a lower calorie level to compensate. For instance, someone on 1200 calories will lose weight at first, but then their metabolism will get used to it and lower to that level to avoid starvation. If that makes sense. This is the non-scientific explanation.
    If you're already losing regularly, stick with that until your metabolism adjusts. Then you can start thinking about lowering calories and/or adding in more exercise. If you were to cut to lose faster now, you would have nothing left to cut when you plateau.
    Hope this helps.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think you answered your own question when you mentioned you lowered your calories and slowed the weight loss. Stick with what you are doing 1lb is better than 0lbs. Good luck to you.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    If you're losing regularly DO NOT cut more. If you cut more calories out, you can damage your metabolism and it will start running at a lower calorie level to compensate. For instance, someone on 1200 calories will lose weight at first, but then their metabolism will get used to it and lower to that level to avoid starvation. If that makes sense. This is the non-scientific explanation.
    If you're already losing regularly, stick with that until your metabolism adjusts. Then you can start thinking about lowering calories and/or adding in more exercise. If you were to cut to lose faster now, you would have nothing left to cut when you plateau.
    Hope this helps.

This simply is not true for everyone. I stuck to a 1200 cal diet for 5 months and lost 40lbs upped it to 1800 and maintained it. 1200 works for some people you can not generalize it saying it does not work.
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    To maximize weight loss:

Eat Clean
    Eat At a Deficit
    Work Out and Move Your Rear
    Don't Slack and Don't Cheat

There is no short cuts.
  • FerociousKoala
    FerociousKoala Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Well that was the explanation a Dietician with a Master's Degree gave me. What degree do you have? Associates in Starvation?
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about building muscle? Long term, that should boost your metabolism so you can eat the same if not more, and continue to lose.

However, short term, you will gain weight. It's muscle and not fat, but it can be frustrating to see the scale not move - or go up. It's all about long term though!
  • rachvale
    rachvale Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    To maximize weight loss:

Eat Clean
    Eat at a deficit
    Don't slack and Don't Cheat

There is no short cuts.

Preach it
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    To maximize weight loss:

Eat Clean
    Eat at a deficit
    Don't slack and Don't Cheat

There is no short cuts.

Preach it

For sure, and try to eat clean that will help in a big way.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Well that was the explanation a Dietician with a Master's Degree gave me. What degree do you have? Associates in Starvation?

ouch
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You could eat less, but that's a short-sighted strategy. You have a lot of weight to lose, I recommend having patience.

^ This.

And you certainly don't have to eat "clean."
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

+1
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

For sure, and try to eat clean that will help in a big way.

O'rly? :huh:
  • jeannettelford
    Options
    When I exercise for as little as 20 minutes a day (treadmill or elliptical) while sticking to my recommended calories, I have consistently lost 2 pounds a week.
  • rawritsleila
    Options
    There are 3,500 calories in a pound. So to lose a pound per week, you'd have to eat 500 calories less a day. So if you want to up it to two pounds a week, you'd have to eat 1000 calories less per day. So if your calorie requirement for the day is 2000 calories, you'd have to only consume 1000 calories a day, but being that that isn't healthy, I'd recommend exercising so that you can eat as much as you like and still stay 1000 calories under your daily goal :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options

^ This.

I am suggesting clean as in avoiding processed foods.

If the OP prepares her food it gives her a good idea with nutrition and calories that can serve her well and it is a cheaper option also.

But 1lb a week is great! Either way.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

^ This.

I am suggesting clean as in avoiding processed foods.

If the OP prepares her food it gives her a good idea with nutrition and calories that can serve her well and it is a cheaper option also.

But 1lb a week is great! Either way.

Um. Okay. That's great. My answer remains the same.

OP - you're having success and are not feeling deprived. Keep doing what you're doing. Just be patient.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Fast weight loss does not equal healthy weight loss. Losing weight too fast results in more muscle loss. Do you want to lower your body fat percentage? If yes, you're right on track. Skin elasticity .......if you lose weight slower and exercise, your skin should not be a loose as someone who lost the weight really quickly.
  • brianvessel
    Options
    I think your fine with what your currently eating as longs as it's healthy. You don't want to consume fewer calories because your will then start to hold on to the weight as which your experiencing.. You should be eating anywhere between 4-6 meals per day along with moderate exercise. This will cause the body to start dropping weight because your constantly feeding it and giving it enough calories to make it throughout the day..

You should also workout in the morning too when your metabolism is at it's highest in regards to loosing weight.. You can also add some resistance bands to your workou and some kettle bells.

You can go here for nutrient and workout tips www.hnl24h.com
  • kzakian
    kzakian Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So basically it's impossible for me to get a 2 pound a week loss without doing damage to my metabolism? With over 70 pounds left to lose, I find that hard to believe. I know 1 pound a week is a good loss, but at my weight I don't see why 2 pounds is not a possibility?