Listen to your body or eat reqired amount of calories?

Options
Today was a weird day. I
had around 1100 calories down before my "dinner". I usually eat at least 1500 calories when work out or teach my Zumba class. But I was not hungry at my usual dinner time. I wanted to skip my meal but I have realized that I will be teaching class tonight and I need to have enough fuel. So, I had my double protein shake because I knew I needed to. :drinker:
But I'm not sure what is better - to listen to your body which says that it is not hungry or just eat because I KNOW amount of calories consumed?:ohwell:
I hope you understand what I mean! )):laugh:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I would listen to your body, if you know what it is saying. Just make sure it is your body talking and not just what you want. *wink*
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you normally eat enough - If it doesn't happen too often, the occasional low-cal day isn't a big deal. But if it's happening a lot, then a decreased appetite could be a sign of a medical problem. I think if you can try to get the calories in without filling yourself up too much (like you did with the shake) - that might be a good plan for when you know you need the calories (before/after a workout) but you're not very hungry.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    As long as it's a healthy choice, listen to your body. I've been sick the last couple days & only tucking away 600-800 cals, but not hungry at all. I think it's one of those times you just have to listen to your body.
    Fuel it well, and let it do the rest.
  • Ahmed20OD
    Options
    ah. I had the same problem, sometimes I found myself low in calories and say to myself "do I need to keep eating all day?!?!?!"

but at the same time I realize that this depends on what I eat, if I ate for breakfast smth that will give me good nutrition like bagel n peanut better..or a banana n apple... both makes you full but the amount of calories is so different..
    the first will give you energy n support for a longer period--the complex carbs, while the other will only give you quick boost of energy for shorter time...
  • dzdame
    Options
    I wish that I had that problem! I find that my body tells me I am still hungry after I have consumed my calories for the day (1200 plus my exercise calories)! I have been at a plateau now for quite awhile. I have not been as consistent about logging my calories because I know that I am going to go over..I eat pretty healthy, but just too many calories..I don't eat unless I am hungry, though...Just started Chalean Extreme, so hoping that with a change in workout routines I may be able to kick my plateau in the butt and start seeing the scale move again. I want to lose another 10-15 lbs, which I know is the toughest..
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My two cents: I think most of us are on MFP because we spent most of our lives "listening to our bodies". These bodies were saying; Have another piece of pie, Stay on the couch and watch TV, hit the snooze instead of getting up and exercising, have those chips and pop, they can't be that bad for me!

I think we have to stop listening for a while and do what we KNOW to be right. Then, once we have retrained ourselves, the body will fall in line and tell us the truth.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My two cents: I think most of us are on MFP because we spent most of our lives "listening to our bodies". These bodies were saying; Have another piece of pie, Stay on the couch and watch TV, hit the snooze instead of getting up and exercising, have those chips and pop, they can't be that bad for me!

I think we have to stop listening for a while and do what we KNOW to be right. Then, once we have retrained ourselves, the body will fall in line and tell us the truth.

I think your body and my body got the same elocution coaching! Particularly the "hit the snooze" message!
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    Thank you all for opinions. I kind of still not sure. I think if did not get my cals before teaching, I would drag through the class. It was good, I was full of energy! I guess I did a right thing eating. :huh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your history. I am only 3 months into regulating my eatting habits. For years I skipped meals, didn't eat for entire days, and didn't eat enough in a day, usually less than 900 cals. I was living in starvation mode and gained weight. My body stopped telling me it was hungry. I trashed my metabolism big time. For the first 3 weeks the doctor had me on 1100 cals a day I could not eat all of it. I have gradually been upping my calories and am now up to 1200-1400 per day, eatting every 4 hours. I still can't trust my bodies signals, it still doesn't tell me when I need to eat on a consistant basis. Time is the only thing that will change that. I am not eatting back all my exercise calories, but am getting better at getting the 1200 net calories in.

Good Luck!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for opinions. I kind of still not sure. I think if did not get my cals before teaching, I would drag through the class. It was good, I was full of energy! I guess I did a right thing eating. :huh:

I think you just answered your question - if you know your body and know you would have dragged through class had you not eaten, then you did the right thing by eating, even if you weren't super hungry. It's not like you had already eaten too many calories - you needed what you ate!