Low Carb or Weight Watchers???

Options
Hi, everyone. Just looking for opinions. What eating plan do you think would work better...a low-carb plan like Atkins or Weight Watchers. There is no cost involved since I already have the WW stuff and won't be attending meetings. The question is based on what has worked for your or someone you know and what people think overall about the two programs.

Any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Replies

• Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I think the key is what will be more sustainable. The advantage of WW in this case is (IF you're not using their food products and just counting points) you can learn how to eat balanced, whole foods which can really support a lifestyle change. You can do the same thing by calorie counting and using this site as well.

Low carb works, but for many it's not sustainable. And if you don't have a medical reason for doing so (insulin resistance, diabetes, celiac etc), there really isn't any reason to.
  • itsscottwilder
    Options
    Doesn't matter what plan you choose. The key is to stick to it over the long haul.

I don't do any official diet regimen, I just try to hit my calorie goals and use common sense.

Drink lots of water.
    Learn to love veggies. Super nutrients. Super low calorie.
    Eat protein food to help to feel full.
    Have carbs; but go easy on them. Excessive carbs really starts messing with the body's insulin production.
    Go easy on anything that has High Fructose Corn Syrup for the same reason

High Carbs and HFCS are essentially the food industry's way of making you a food addict.
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    bump...any other opinions please.....
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Given that there is no metabolic magic in restricting carbs and presuming that you have no diagnosed medical conditions that would be helped by restricting them I would just eat what the hell I wanted within your MFP allotted calories, get yer protein in and move around a bit.

I low carbed for 9 months or so, I think I get less hungry these days having done it but didn't see any advantage in continuing to restrict anything.

For the record, I look stunning. ;)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I did low carb from Feb to May, and MFP from late May til now.
    I lost 33 lbs on low carb. I am the same weight as I was in June.

I hated low carb (the food that is), but it worked. I have another 13.6 lbs to go (was 10. something a few days ago) and I have been bouncing up and down for 3 months on MFP (initially 1200 cal + exercise calories, now TDEE-20% which translates to 1363 calories per day). I have been doing TDEE-20% for over two weeks and am heavier today than when I started. I am going to give it another 2 weeks but if I don't go anywhere I am going straight back to low carb because at least on low carb I can lose weight.
  • inanna_72
    Options
    I'm one of those dieters that due to my illness, Type II Diabetes, it is best for me to stay low-carb. My doctor recommends Atkins or South-Beach. I can only do Atkins for so long and I am thankful for South-Beach.
  • emf83
    emf83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    About 8 years ago I was able to lose 50 lbs eating low carb. The weight stayed off for a while but after some major life changes, creeped back up plus more. I have tried low carb again a few times over the last year and I never lost more than 5 lbs. I have now been using MFP for 3 weeks and just watching calories and exercising, and I've lost 12 lbs! I don't think any one plan is better than another, I think it depends on what works best for you. Personally I enjoy being able to eat whatever I want as long as I have enough calories, rather than being deprived of certain things because they are high in carbs. Good luck! :-)
  • ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I am a little "carb sensitive" and gluten intolerant so for me a LOWER carb diet is the better...however, by lower carb I mean no bread, grain, sugar, rice. I eat a ton of veggies (not white potatoes) and a few pieces of fruit a day, protein - any and all - nuts, and very limited dairy.

Something that might work...try using MFP like Weight Watchers - eat whatever type of food you want, log everything, stay at your calorie goals...as your weight loss slows (or if you have no weight loss at all), try cutting your carbs back to around 150 grams per day...stay a that rate for at least 2 weeks and see what happens - drop down to no less than 100 if you still do not loose. I did this in reverse and it worked nicely. I was carbaphobic - eating under 30 grams per day and then when I couldn't stand it any longer I would binge on ice cream, pizza, cookies...horrible. I decided to try and up my carbs on a daily basis and the binging stopped...now I can even throw a bit of dark chocolate in on workout days and I still loose - but I really have to keep to around 100 - 120 a day...I am so much happier, too - binging is almost non-existent!

Low carb does work, but I agree with others that it is not very sustainable for the long haul.
  • itcanbedone13
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I am thinking MFP and/or WW might be a better option than low-carb. I know the pounds come off quickly with the low-carb, but I do love pasta, bread, etc. If I have those types of items once in awhile I think MFP or WW will work. Doing without, not so sure that would work for me.

Thanks again and have a great holiday weekend!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It really does depend on knowing yourself and what you can sustain in the long run.

I did low-carb and lost weight (goal was 15 lbs, I lost 20) very easily, without counting calories, and with very little exercise. However, it was not sustainable over the long term because I became rather miserable about all the food I wasn't allowed to eat anymore. Within a year I'd gained it all back.

I decided to give calorie counting a try with the understanding that I would eat whatever the hell I wanted so long as I stayed within my goals, and I'd quit if I was hungry and miserable. So far I am much, much happier and I know this is sustainable for a lifetime because I'm back to eating the foods I love, I'm just not overeating. It is a rare day that I go to bed feeling hungry. I've even had a couple of "pig out" days and bounced right back because I have the tools now to do so.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mfp. Just so you don't end up buying ww crap food to help you count points.