Lifting - with dumbells

Options
Hi everyone :)

I've been wanting to start lifting properly for ages but most of the work outs I see are for barbells. None of the affordable gyms in my area have barbells, only dumbbells unfortunately. Otherwise, I really like my gym and don't want to (and can't afford to) change right now. There are also lots of weight machines and some weird contraptions with pulleys that I have NO idea how to use! I've heard these aren't ideal, so all that's left right now are the dumbbells.

I'd just like some advice on what to actually do with them as there is so much contradictory information on the web. I know people generally don't think they're as good as barbells but since it's all that's available right now I'd love a point in the right direction as to how I can make the most of them, and whether it's worth it.

Thanks a bunch. I'm pretty much a beginner but I've found the little strength training I've done to be more rewarding than cardio and would love to give it a serious go.

Replies

• james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can build muscle with anything if done in the correct way. Proper form. Personally when i came back after my 5 year layoff i spent almost all my weight exercises on the machines.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Great info here (incl. exercises for all types of equipment or even just bodyweight exercises)

http://exrx.net/index.html
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are perfectly fine for strength training. With the exception of leg work, 80-90% of my weekly workout is done with dumbbells or cables. Just make sure that whatever program you choose works your full body. You'll have to improvise a bit for legs until you get to a better gym situation, but don't let that delay you from starting a program immediately
  • tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    He can still do lunges effectively with dumbbells. Squats to a certain extent, but the point will come (very quickly) that he won't be able to hold the amount he should be able to squat. :(

Here's a quick list of good exercises you can do with dumbbells:

Standing shoulder press
    bench press
    skull crushers
    shrugs
    bicep curls
    lateral raises
    lunges
    squats
    hyperextensions
    bent over rows
    one arm rows

I can't think of anymore right now.
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    He can still do lunges effectively with dumbbells. Squats to a certain extent, but the point will come (very quickly) that he won't be able to hold the amount he should be able to squat. :(

Stiff legged deadlifts can also be done very effectively with dumbbells
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    In many ways, dumbbells are superior to barbells. The only problem is, they get to be too awkward to move around when they get really heavy. But in the beginning, I think they're a great way to go.

Here's a nice dumbbell routine.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/902569-barbell-routines-when-you-only-have-dumbbells

Squats and deadlifts are better with a bar, but the dumbbell equivalents together with a good mix of leg machines is pretty good, too.
  • alouette
    alouette Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to starting and glad to hear that the lack of a barbell isn't too much of a disadvantage, at least for a beginner.
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Good links, thank you.

OP - use the equipment that the gym has. Perhaps spend one session with a PT who can show you what to do with what is available so that you are more comfortable using the equipment.

Good luck - weights are awesome!!
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For legs, do Bulgarian squats. Actually, don't, because you won't be able to stand afterwards. :laugh:
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm looking forward to starting and glad to hear that the lack of a barbell isn't too much of a disadvantage, at least for a beginner.

Thanks! I am in a similar situation and have been thinking of making a similar post! Will check out these links as well. :flowerforyou:
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Good links, thank you.

OP - use the equipment that the gym has. Perhaps spend one session with a PT who can show you what to do with what is available so that you are more comfortable using the equipment.

Good luck - weights are awesome!!

I second the idea of getting a trainer for a session ( or more) if you can afford it. I just spent 6 months working with a trainer 1-2x a week, and learned SOOO much. My trainer actually wrote out about 6 different routines for me to do, so I am doing it on my own for a while. When I am ready for a new challenge, I'm going to work with him again :D
  • alouette
    Options
    Hi again guys! Just wanted to ask what you think of this work-out I found: http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

I'm thinking of doing Routine 1. Would I get similar results to those lifting heavy with barbells - at least for the first few months?
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

I've been wanting to start lifting properly for ages but most of the work outs I see are for barbells. None of the affordable gyms in my area have barbells, only dumbbells unfortunately. Otherwise, I really like my gym and don't want to (and can't afford to) change right now. There are also lots of weight machines and some weird contraptions with pulleys that I have NO idea how to use! I've heard these aren't ideal, so all that's left right now are the dumbbells.

I'd just like some advice on what to actually do with them as there is so much contradictory information on the web. I know people generally don't think they're as good as barbells but since it's all that's available right now I'd love a point in the right direction as to how I can make the most of them, and whether it's worth it.

Thanks a bunch. I'm pretty much a beginner but I've found the little strength training I've done to be more rewarding than cardio and would love to give it a serious go.

possibly try scoobysworkshop.com for some ideas for dumbbell workouts - some people will naysay - but I am a firm believe in you have to work with what ya got - no reason you cant have a great workout routine centered around dumbbells

even with leg training you can do goblet squats, lunges, SL deadlifts, Glute ham raises, Sissy squats - tons and tons of options. May have to get a bit creative but don't let it hold you back
  • alouette
    Options

possibly try scoobysworkshop.com for some ideas for dumbbell workouts - some people will naysay - but I am a firm believe in you have to work with what ya got - no reason you cant have a great workout routine centered around dumbbells

even with leg training you can do goblet squats, lunges, SL deadlifts, Glute ham raises, Sissy squats - tons and tons of options. May have to get a bit creative but don't let it hold you back

Thanks for the link and suggestions!

Anyone have any advice for my question above? :)
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I like dumb bells and machines. The only time I use a barbell is for upright row or to curl in the squat rack.
  • Winston1717
    Options
    Barbells are optimal but not totally necessary. You can do many body weight exercises and incorporate dbells such as push up rows. Also can use them for walking lunges and stair climbing work outs.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi again guys! Just wanted to ask what you think of this work-out I found: http://www.stumptuous.com/workout-6

I'm thinking of doing Routine 1. Would I get similar results to those lifting heavy with barbells - at least for the first few months?

That program looks fine.

For a beginner routine, I might drop the calf raises, and then do everything else in one day. Then I'd just workout 3 days a week, with a rest day between. But that's a very minor criticism. If your schedule works with a short workout 6 days a week, then go for it!
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Dumbbells are perfectly fine for strength training. With the exception of leg work, 80-90% of my weekly workout is done with dumbbells or cables. Just make sure that whatever program you choose works your full body. You'll have to improvise a bit for legs until you get to a better gym situation, but don't let that delay you from starting a program immediately

Lots of leg work outs (except back squat) can easily be done with dumbbells and some work better with dumbbells (IMHO) like single leg RDL's.

E.g. Deadlift (I started on DB's because I was too weak to lift the 45lb bar), single leg Romanian dead lift, kettle bell swings, Lunges, Step Ups, Front Squats, Goblet Squats, Bulgarian Split Squats, etc.