Alot of extra calories

Options
Hey y'all:D

I was wondering what you do with your extra calories? I'm on a 1200 calorie intake but I today I burned around 1,700 calories so I have alot extra. Do you all stick to healthy eating or do you treat yourself to a couple yummie snacks?

Replies

• gonzalezpg71
    gonzalezpg71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'd like to know the same. Let me know if you find out! Thanks
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Personally I treat myself a little bit. I don't think I could eat everything back, but I say go have something delicious.

BTW, how did you burn 1,700 cals? Good job!
  • fxst78
    fxst78 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating as much as possibe.

Also, be careful using the MFP calories burnt estimations. I have had a few instances where MFP is saying I have burnt up to 3 times what my heart rate monitor and exercise bike has indicated. So I could have gone way over without realising it.
  • amapp
    amapp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I stick to my healthy eating but its nice to know I have the option to eat something extra. However keeping in line with healthy eating.
  • amapp
    amapp Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I stick to my healthy eating but its nice to know I have the option to eat something extra. However keeping in line with healthy eating.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i personally eat back about half or a little bit less than that. i exercise at night and have a sweet tooth, so i make sure i find a dessert to eat. it probably would be better to eat something healthier but i need my little bit of sweets everyday;)
  • JoyCarter
    Options
    To LokiFae--

Thanks :D I did 65 minuets on the elliptical at level 10 resistance going burning about 13.5-14 calories a min and I did 65 minutes on the treadmill at maximum elevation burning 15 calories a minute.

To everyone else---

Thanks as well... I guess sticking to eating healthy will be best in the long run :D
  • get_wrapped_by_me
    Options
    hi,i think u should stick with healthy eating it will help in the long run . find sum healthy snacks with lil cals,like pickles, rice cakes (sweetor salty) ect....GOOD LUCK!!!
  • sziemba1
    Options
    You can treat yourself or you can leave them alone. If you leave them alone it means that you will lose weight faster. It all depends on what you want to do. I have done both and have lost 58 pounds in 4 months.
  • tater8589
    Options
    I believe in things in moderation, if your burning that much I don't see much harm in a small treat, but stick with healthy as much as possible. Plus, I also believe the body will crave what it needs (within reason). If your craving almonds, you may need iron, bananas- potassium, milk- calcium, orange juice- vit c. Just make good decisions and you'll be fine :) Good luck
  • sgssmile
    Options
    I will do a treat such as a weight watchers ice cream bar or 1 cookie, a treat with limits I guess is what I do. I do have real treats once a week but plan them into my calories even if I have to put in an extra work out. That has helped me a lot knowing that I allow myself a once a week splurge! I think we all have to figure out what works best for them. Good luck :drinker:
  • sgssmile
    Options
    Wow that is GREAT!
  • redsgirl1
    Options
    ok i was told that even though we burn extra cal we should not eat more that our 1200 cal but try and eat under I personally only treat myself once a week so I bank my cal all week for something special but nothing that i will regret. I have lost and kept off 30lbs this way hope i helped you
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    To LokiFae--

Thanks :D I did 65 minuets on the elliptical at level 10 resistance going burning about 13.5-14 calories a min and I did 65 minutes on the treadmill at maximum elevation burning 15 calories a minute.

To everyone else---

Thanks as well... I guess sticking to eating healthy will be best in the long run :D

Is this per the machine or a HRM? for me, even in my target zone 155-170 for an hour straight (well 50 mins in zone plus warm up / cool down) I burn at max 700 calories.

Also, if I burn this much, sometimes I treat myself but sometimes I just ignore the extra calories. Some days I go way over so I figure it evens out . Just remember, a treat is fine but if you are eating a ton of fat or a lot of calories at once you can still build up fat stores etc even if you burnt a lot of calories. Not to say, don't enjoy ice cream or a candy bar or something, but be realistic about it. It is calories in and calories out overall but there are micro levels too.
  • JoyCarter
    Options
    I used the machine's calculation...is it horribly off?
  • leakewh
    leakewh Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would definitely get a HRM and don't forget to subtract your resting calorie burn from your total....when I was doing P90X workouts I might burn 1,000 calories an hour...you might be going at it that hard...just to be on the safe side and not to be misled...anyway keep up the exercising....
  • GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Healthy eating as much as possibe.

Also, be careful using the MFP calories burnt estimations. I have had a few instances where MFP is saying I have burnt up to 3 times what my heart rate monitor and exercise bike has indicated. So I could have gone way over without realising it.

I agree, burning 1700 calories seems a little much. Unless you were working out for several hours or going full force (then maybe you could burn that much). This website isnt very good at telling you the burn for something and the machines ive used dont seem to calculate that well. A HRM is a good investment and you will know how many calories you are burning because you set it to your stats and it reads your heart rate the whole workout!!! I found i was over estimating my calories when working out but now that i have the HRM i know its pretty close to right!!!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I used the machine's calculation...is it horribly off?

The TruStriders at my gym tell me 800 but my HRM tells me more like 450. The ellipticals are a bit more accurate. But if you eat your exercise cals you might unknowingly be sabotaging yourself.
  • emkam11
    emkam11 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Hey y'all:D

I was wondering what you do with your extra calories? I'm on a 1200 calorie intake but I today I burned around 1,700 calories so I have alot extra. Do you all stick to healthy eating or do you treat yourself to a couple yummie snacks?

wow how did you burn of so many hun ?
    x
  • cakefarm
    Options
    I think she burned 500. Add that to her 1200 and she has 1700.

To the OP: on 1200 calories, you need to make sure you are eating a lot of protein if you are exercising. Lean muscle provides the best energy when working out and at that much of a deficit, you really need to make sure you body isn't feeding on all your good lean muscle. That is the surest way to lower your metabolism.

On days when you exercise, make sure you are eating additional protein. Feel free to treat yourself but make sure you're taking care of your body too.

If you are on a 1200 calorie plan, MFP is already giving you a deficit. You've earned the 500 calories, eating them is not going to derail your progress.