Ideal Protein Diet and Exercise

Options
I have a question for anyone currently on the Ideal Protein Diet. I had my free 'consultation' but could not get a good understanding of why they do not want you to exercise. Can anyone explain it better? I currently bike ride at least 30 mins a day, and twice a week I work with a personal trainer at my gym for 40-45 minutes. I do not feel that this is too much exercise, so I was concerned that they asked me to stop exercising, at least for the first two weeks. Thanks for any replies.

Replies

• virpags
    virpags Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyone???? Thanks!
  • 5ftnFun
    5ftnFun Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    The Ideal Protein Diet is a VLCD, high protein and very low carbohydrates. My husband considered this & we went to a introductory seminar on it. (His doctor advised my husband against the diet. It's very rigid & hard to do, and husband has several health problems including diabetes & heart disease, etc) Anyhow, my impression on the "no exercise" is that with such a low calorie intake, exercising would be difficult to do if not dangerous. Or you might faint, take your pick.
  • Clarington45
    Options
    Hi There,

I just started the diet a week and a half ago and am really liking it. It is quite restrictive and lo carb, but I really like that and feel much better. My coach said not to exercise the first week or two, and my understanding is its because it is a low calorie diet as well as low carb.. its approximately 900 calories a day but all of the prepackaged food is very high protein to help with feeling full.. you do eat "regular food" as well for dinner, meat and veggies.

So in your case you are probably burning a lot of calories and on 900 calories a day you couldn't really afford to do that, its just while your body adjusts and then you can always add an extra package of food and exercise (I believe so anyway).

Good luck with your decisions..
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Any diet telling you to avoid exercise is crazy. High protein diets are great but with reduced calories and carbs, you won't be able to exercise as much. So maybe that's their logic?!