Gained 3 pounds in a week by exercising?

Options
So for my high school, Hell Week for soccer began, which means we have two practices a day, two hours each, consisting of running/sprinting and playing. I was hoping my weight might go down or stay the same, but by the end of the week it went up 3 pounds!! I'm 5'6" and weighed 111 lbs before the week and by today I weigh 114 and I'm quite discouraged. I have not been eating much more than usual, and I am just really upset. I don't want to keep gaining weight, I want to go back to normal!

Replies

• lsobek
    lsobek Posts: 5
    Options
    You are building muscle by exercising so the fat is turning and will always weigh more. Sorry to disappoint you but you wil see a difference in your distribution of the weight as in your legs will look more toned than before etc..... you will look great!!!
    :wink: :wink:
  • sweetiexox27
    Options
    You are building muscle by exercising so the fat is turning and will always weigh more. Sorry to disappoint you but you wil see a difference in your distribution of the weight as in your legs will look more toned than before etc..... you will look great!!!

But 3 pounds in 4 days? From running? That seems highly unlikely...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a small increase on the scale when we start a new exercise program or increase an old one. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them, masking any fat loss that's happening. Drink plenty of fluids and give your body some time to adjust to the new activity.

It looks like you might currently be underweight for your height, though. Are you sure that losing weight is healthy at this time?
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options

Hate to say it, but soccer doesn't build muscle. It's 100% fat gain.

sparkteens.com
  • sweetiexox27
    Options
    It's not uncommon to see a small increase on the scale when we start a new exercise program or increase an old one. Our bodies flood sore muscles with water to help cushion and repair them, masking any fat loss that's happening. Drink plenty of fluids and give your body some time to adjust to the new activity.

It looks like you might currently be underweight for your height, though. Are you sure that losing weight is healthy at this time?

So it's not muscle mass then? So if it's just water, it should go back to normal when my body gets used to the routine?
  • sweetiexox27
    Options

Hate to say it, but soccer doesn't build muscle. It's 100% fat gain.

sparkteens.com

But I only eat 1200 calories a day, mainly fruits, granola, yogurt and a lean dinner with vegetables. How can that be from fat?
  • Kathy0065
    Kathy0065 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Running, sprinting and playing soccer for 2 hours a day will build muscle! I don't think you need to worry about the 3lbs. Remember with that amount of exercise you should also increase your calorie intake.
  • sweetiexox27
    Options
    Running, sprinting and playing soccer for 2 hours a day will build muscle!

But 3 pounds in 4 days? Most people who work out gain 2 pounds of it in a month, plus running is cardiovascular, fat burning and much less likely to increase muscle mass in such a short time frame than lifting.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

Lmfao...no. If building muscle were that easy, all the body builders in the world would be out playing soccer. ..
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Running, sprinting and playing soccer for 2 hours a day will build muscle!

Muscle building requires a calorie surplus. There are such things as newbie gains, especially at the OP's age, but it's going to be impossible to sustain at 1200 calories.

OP at your age and activity level 1200 calories is going to be way too little for you. Make sure you're either logging your soccer time and eating back the earned calories or set your activity modifier to active. You don't want to risk your soccer performance failing because you're underfeeding your body.
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    your most likely retaining water for muscle recovery. give it a few days and it will go away.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    It's almost guaranteed to be water retention.

After you exercise your muscles retain water to repair themselves. If the exercise is above and beyond your norm, the effect can be even more pronounced.

I typically lift weights three days a week... One heavy day, one medium day, one light day. I pretty much expect to see up to 4 lbs. gained the day after a heavy lift, and a pound or few after the medium day, and I'll rarely lose anything after a light day. It doesn't happen all the time, but usually.

Edit: Cropping out the extra stuff I put in here originally. Given your age & activity level, you really don't need to worry about a few pounds up or down from water retention changes. Make sure you're eating enough to kick butt on the soccer field. You're gonna need the energy to keep that up, at least till your body adjusts. ;-)
  • jenschultz123
    Options
    If you were to weigh yourself every hour for 1 day, you would be shocked at how much your weight would fluctuate. I've personally had as many as 6 pounds difference in a day. Don't worry about it :) If you're really concerned weigh yourself at the same time each day, and take a weekly average to use as your reference point.
  • sweetiexox27
    Options
    your most likely retaining water for muscle recovery. give it a few days and it will go away.

That's good to hear. I do hope it goes away soon!
  • greypilgrimess
    greypilgrimess Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    The weight gain will most likely be water retention. When you exercise more than you were, your muscles retain water to repair and build. Make sure you eat enough for your body to deal with the sudden increased activity, without going too crazy. Your weight will even out again so don't worry about it. Make sure you drink lots of water too!
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    It's not fat gain. It's probably a mixture of water and muscle. The water weight should drop once your body adjusts to the new routine. And yes, soccer can build muscle, but not in the sense that most people think, obviously you will not get weightlifter legs. Give your body a couple weeks to adjust, you can even do before on after pictures to see where the change is happening, you can't rely on the scale alone, make sure you look at your body too. Also, if its that time of the month your weight can fluctuate a lot!
  • LizzieLouAnne
    LizzieLouAnne Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    If I go below 1250 cals my body goes into clingon mode and I slow right down or stop loosing, sometimes increase. I am no dietician but my guess is that you are pushing yourself too hard on so few calories. Increase just a little at least and as others have said, eat your exercise calories.
  • Kathy0065
    Kathy0065 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    If you are exercising that much and not increasing your calorie intake to still consume 1200 calories then you will slow your metabolism down. Are you tracking calories burned from exercise and still consuming 1200 per day? If not, you need to increase your calorie intake. If not, you burn muscle instead of fat.
    For a height of 5'6" 114lbs is probably at the low end or even underweight so as long as you maintain I don't think you have reason for concern.
  • sweetiexox27
    Options
    The weight gain will most likely be water retention. When you exercise more than you were, your muscles retain water to repair and build. Make sure you eat enough for your body to deal with the sudden increased activity, without going too crazy. Your weight will even out again so don't worry about it. Make sure you drink lots of water too!

If I drink lots of water, will it go away, then? How long will this take?
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    If I drink lots of water, will it go away, then? How long will this take?

Your weight is going to naturally fluctuate by a few pounds, possibly throughout the day, definitely from day to day. So, the short answer here is don't worry about it.

Any change to your activity level, what you eat, how much salt you eat, how much liquid you drink, whether you've gone to the bathroom, etc. will factor into those swings, but it's really not something that you need to worry about "fixing". It's a natural slight variation in weight that happens to everyone.