Retaining water?

Options
I would like to know how to stop retaining water! Some mornings my rings are tight on my fingers (and the scale goes higher)...I drink lots of water, I average about 12 cups per day. It is very rare for me to eat anything from a can or box....(or fast food). What more can I do??

Replies

• 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    It is usually salt of one kind or another. Sometimes people who avoid sodium buy low sodium products that have other salts like potassium chloride instead. They don't taste as salty, so there is often a lot. They do share the water retentive properties though.
  • JagerLewis
    JagerLewis Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It is usually salt of one kind or another. Sometimes people who avoid sodium buy low sodium products that have other salts like potassium chloride instead. They don't taste as salty, so there is often a lot. They do share the water retentive properties though.

That's why I tend to stay away from most packaged food...My salt intake is pretty much what I put on my food.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    I just looked at my graph of sodium intake for the past month. I am under my sodium "goal" 98% of the time. So what gives??
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Are you taking any medications? This can also result in water retention.

Strangely I also find carbs and condiments do it to me!!!
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Are you taking any medications? This can also result in water retention.

Strangely I also find carbs and condiments do it to me!!!

No meds either. I tend to be under my carb "goal" also. The only thing I'm consistently above average with is my protein.
  • zombieyoshi
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you eat, but a diet too low in calories can cause water retention as well.

Here is a website with some other causes, hopefully it helps

http://www.water-retention.net/causes-of-water-retention/
  • JenniferH81
    JenniferH81 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem. Every day I wake up feeling super bloated. And I drink at least 64oz of water each day.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you eat, but a diet too low in calories can cause water retention as well.

Thanks for this...I think I found mine since I suffer from IBS
    "Poor digestion and taking antibiotics can cause changes in your intestines which lead to a lot of histamine being produced in this area. Sometimes eating yoghurt and probiotics can help to reduce this problem, but if it has been going on for some time these measures may not be effective on their own."
  • JagerLewis
    Options

Thanks for the link! Very informative. It did mention a low calorie diet of 1200 or less, but you had to do that for months before it would be an issue. I've only started 1200 cal 8/5, not quiet a month. Sometimes I am under my goal, but not by a whole lot.
  • Jillyyyyyy
    Options
    nettle tea! :-) works really well!
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Fluids redistribute from the lower body when you sleep. I wouldn't worry about it if as you move around through the day it goes back to 'normal'.
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    nettle tea! :-) works really well!
    I will pick some up when I go to the store today! I am willing to try anything now!
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I would like to know how to stop retaining water! Some mornings my rings are tight on my fingers (and the scale goes higher)...I drink lots of water, I average about 12 cups per day. It is very rare for me to eat anything from a can or box....(or fast food). What more can I do??

I drink 100% cranberry juice (1 oz cranberry juice with 7 ounces of water) and this has helped me enormously. Now I could see the difference in my legs and I do not have that heavy feeling in my body. It has helped me to move from 180s to the low 170s. Now I am stuck and desperate to move into the 160s.

Trader Joe's sells 100% CJ for $3.99, whilst Whole Foods sells for $8.99.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Are you counting the salt you add to your food when you log? It can add up quickly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You can moderate it somewhat by watching your sodium intake (sound like you're already doing that) and getting plenty of water....but your body is always going to naturally retain and release water...you can only moderate it to a point...you can't stop it.
  • JanieJack
    JanieJack Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Do you know what foods react with your body? For example: Pork makes me retain water. Splenda makes me retain water. Bread makes me retain water. Anything really salty (unless eaten right after a long run/heavy workout) makes me retain water.

I don't know why. I just know after ingesting those things I will retain water. So I avoid them. Maybe your food diary can offer some insight?
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Fresh asparagus ..you will go wee wee like crazy. :)
  • JagerLewis
    Options
    Fresh asparagus ..you will go wee wee like crazy. :)
    with the amount of water I drink, that's not a problem... :wink: