50/30/20 and having trouble getting enough calories

Options
Hi,

I have just switched from 40/30/30 in hopes of cutting the last stubborn body fat, but am having a really hard time getting up to 1200 calories. It is a lot of protein and I am always full and eating every 3 hours.

I cannot have protein bars or nuts in my house due to life threatening allergies with my children.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• tonynguyen75
    tonynguyen75 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you are able to reach your protein goals at the end of the day and just have troubles hitting your calories, you can just eat an ice cream or chocolate bar near the end of the day.

If you're having trouble reaching both protein and calories at the end of the day, you should look into changing your eating habits.

The following are some techniques that bulkers use:
    Eat faster, it gives your body less time to send the signal to your brain telling you you're full.
    Drink a large amount of water an hour or so before your meal, it stretches out your stomach a bit so that you can stuff more food down there.
    Eat more calorie dense meals, if you're eating chicken breast, it should have the skin on it (for calories).
    Drink your meals (protein shakes), they take up less room in your stomach and digest quicker.
  • kconforti
    Options
    I am reaching my protein goal for the day no problem their. My diet is extremely clean, and I do drink a protein shake everyday.

Good thought about the icecream and chocolate! I like that. Lol
  • kconforti
    Options
    I will look into that. I am in Canada so will have to see what is available here. I do use shakeology now and really like it.

Time to do some research.

Thanks!
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I will look into that. I am in Canada so will have to see what is available here. I do use shakeology now and really like it.

Thanks!

why shakeology?
  • duke0825
    duke0825 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You've got a rare problem that most would love to have. With only needing to get 1200 calories is it just the protein specially you're having a hard time reaching for macros? If so the obvious answers would be fatty piece meat like a burger. You'll get your protein and fat pretty much covered. Others: 2% greek yogurt/milk, eggs, etc. Theses are obvious answers, but I guess I wonder where is it your specifically struggling with. I also say just eat three meals instead of every three hours if you're always feeling full. It won't make a difference. And actually the ice cream isn't a bad choice if you just want to eat hit your macros...but we're boarding on the whole eat clean debate now....
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it's hard to give advice. It's also always very hard for me to believe that someone who is eating a balanced diet that leaves a little room for treats has problems reaching 1200 calories. Add more cheese, good fats, bacon, dark chocolate, etc...
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, and have ended many days hundreds of calories below goal. Here are my helpers.

Peanut Butter (on Celery, or an Apple if I have some Carbs to burn)
    Eggs for breakfast (4x large eggs, 5x egg whites)
    Extra Dark chocolate
    Beef Jerky
    Bacon

Beyond that, you simply need to readjust your portions for meals. You will be eating a far greater volume on a low carb diet.
  • nelinelineli
    nelinelineli Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Adjusting to a new diet takes time and many people start feeling hungrier after a few weeks - the problem solves itself... I personally wouldn't worry much about not hitting the values right away - they'll eventually get there with no drastic intervention.
  • kconforti
    Options

Thanks!

why shakeology?

I am a new Beachbody Coach and have been trying the shakeology for a month.
  • kconforti
    Options
    Adjusting to a new diet takes time and many people start feeling hungrier after a few weeks - the problem solves itself... I personally wouldn't worry much about not hitting the values right away - they'll eventually get there with no drastic intervention.

Thanks for that. I am sure it will too.
  • kconforti
    Options
    Without seeing your diary it's hard to give advice. It's also always very hard for me to believe that someone who is eating a balanced diet that leaves a little room for treats has problems reaching 1200 calories. Add more cheese, good fats, bacon, dark chocolate, etc...

I tried adding more cheese but then it bumped up the fat too high. I guess it is just a balancing act that I will have to play with and find what works. Thanks
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    yogurt
  • kconforti
    Options
    I have the same problem, and have ended many days hundreds of calories below goal. Here are my helpers.

Peanut Butter (on Celery, or an Apple if I have some Carbs to burn)
    Eggs for breakfast (4x large eggs, 5x egg whites)
    Extra Dark chocolate
    Beef Jerky
    Bacon

Beyond that, you simply need to readjust your portions for meals. You will be eating a far greater volume on a low carb diet.

Thanks for the tips! I see a lot of people have mentioned dark chocolate. I usually don't have anything like that.....but may have to add it in. Lol