Cooking with almond milk?

Options
Is it any different from cooking with regular milk?

Replies

• DrPepper000
    DrPepper000 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    following
  • jmcreynolds91
    jmcreynolds91 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wondering the same! Bump!
  • pattybate
    pattybate Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do it all the time! My boyfriend hates almond milk and hasn't noticed yet :)
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell, it works the same way.
  • pan0ramic
    Options
    I've been vegan for over 10 years and substitute almond and soy milk for anything that asks for cow milk. Everything works out fine. YMMV and it is going to be dependent on what you're cooking.
  • glassgallm
    glassgallm Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Chocolate pudding made with almond milk. I think I got this recipe from Pinterest. I've made it, I liked it. Nutrtional info:
    serviing size: 1/2 cup. calories: 87 carbs: 17 fat:3 protein:1 sodium:124 calcium: 19

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 cups , almond, Silk soy or coconut milk, any flavor except Light
    1 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1.Combine the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well.
    2.Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
    3.Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until pudding begins to thicken.
    4.Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine (or butter) and vanilla.
    5.Pour into 1 large bowl or 8 small serving bowls and refrigerate for at least an hour until thoroughly chilled.

Variations to try:

use brown sugar instead of white for butterscotch flavor (6 servings, 153 cal per 1/2 cup)

Add cinnamon to cocoa to make Mexican chocolate pudding
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Just don't mix it with jello fat free sugar free instant pudding---you will get soup.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any issues with it yet; I switched when I noticed that I wasn't tolerating dairy well. Some things seem a little thin to me (seriously, lattes with almond milk are just lies if their proper dairy glory), but I've never had trouble.
  • nettasue35
    nettasue35 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    my granddaughter is lactose intolerant I have been switching almond milk for regular milk. the rest of the family has not noticed a difference in the taste. something's taste better made with the almond milk. my dil tried making gravy with the sweetened soy milk said it was to sweet.
  • bobbinalong
    bobbinalong Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Chocolate pudding made with almond milk. I think I got this recipe from Pinterest. I've made it, I liked it. Nutrtional info:
    serviing size: 1/2 cup. calories: 87 carbs: 17 fat:3 protein:1 sodium:124 calcium: 19

1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
    3/4 cup sugar
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    3 cups , almond, Silk soy or coconut milk, any flavor except Light
    1 Tbsp margarine (or butter)
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

1.Combine the cocoa, sugar, salt and cornstarch in a saucepan and mix well.
    2.Slowly add the almond milk, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring this mixture to a boil over medium heat while whisking constantly.
    3.Lower the heat to a simmer, cover and simmer gently for 8-10 minutes, until pudding begins to thicken.
    4.Remove from the heat and whisk in the margarine (or butter) and vanilla.
    5.Pour into 1 large bowl or 8 small serving bowls and refrigerate for at least an hour until thoroughly chilled.

Variations to try:

use brown sugar instead of white for butterscotch flavor (6 servings, 153 cal per 1/2 cup)

Add cinnamon to cocoa to make Mexican chocolate pudding
    I need to try this, DH likes his mom's pudding recipe maybe I could switch it out for this! What he doesn't know can't hurt him can it?
  • ArtsyBunny
    ArtsyBunny Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Not as far as I can tell. I made a really yummy cheese sauce with it the other day. I just wouldn't use vanilla flavored for savory dishes, lol. The only thing it doesn't work in is instant pudding.
  • Amiskron
    Amiskron Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kornaco
    kornaco Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used it back for Thanksgiving to make a "can of cream" replacement....so, the majority of the cream-substitute was almond milk---did not taste so great. I could definitely tell.
  • jimd86
    Options
    I use it in my protein shakes and it makes them tastier
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You can generally substitute it 1 for 1, but be careful with sweetened or flavored almond milk - it can make savory recipes taste kinda weird (I made eggplant parm once and the only milk I had on hand was vanilla rice milk. It came out kinda funky)
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I substitute it for regular milk in everything just because regular milk has so much sugar in it. I get unsweetened almond milk and put a pinch of stevia in instead if its for something that should be sweeter....like for baking
  • fourfiftythree
    fourfiftythree Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    When working with thickeners you need to either use more flour, corn starch etc., or less almond milk. It is a much thinner consistency and does not thicken as well - so this goes for gravies, rouxs, etc. Also, using almond milk will slightly change the texture of baked goods like cookies and cakes but you probably won't notice or care unless you are an avid baker. Overall, almond milk is a safe substitute for cow's milk and I do use it a lot myself.