Breakfast help please!

Options
shoppie
shoppie Posts: 618 Member
One of my commitments to myself right now is to enjoy the food that I eat. I'm trying to be more 'mindful' about my eating, rather than just shoving in any old thing.

I am really struggling with breakfast. I always used to eat shreddies, oatmeal or weetabix. I have discovered that when I sti and eat properly, I don't actually like any of them :noway:

Can anyone give me some suggestions for alternatives for breakfast? I'm not at all averse to moving away from cereal!

Thanks! :drinker:

Replies

• seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese with blueberries and raspberries mixed in. Lots of protein and calcium! To me it's like having a dessert for breakfast!
  • pastamomma
    pastamomma Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of leftovers from supper - I know a lot of people don't like this idea but it works for me. Fresh vegetable stir-fry with turkey smoked sausage this morning. Cottage Cheese and leftover green beans yesterday. It sounds crazy, but I get in a serving of veggies or fruit to start the day and it's more satisfying than cereal. Good luck with your quest!
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    I like Yoplait Greek Yogurt (100 calories per serving), Thin Slice Begal with a tsp of peanut butter.
  • rustyvicinie
    rustyvicinie Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Pickled eggs.. oddly enough. easy, convenient and a little more flavor than regular hard boiled eggs.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Any food or texture that is appealing to you is breakfast food! Smoothies can be made the night before, just grab and go in AM. I used to like whole wheat toast with peanut butter but discovered I am sensitive to not only wheat but peanut butter as well. I have a half of sandwich each morning: one piece of rice bread toasted with several slices of ham or turkey etc. It gives me enough staying power and protein to get to lunch time!

Experiment and be joyful in your food as you begin each day!
  • alpdexplorer
    alpdexplorer Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Eggs with a slice of wheat toast.

Oatmeal with fresh fruit mixed in.

Dannon Oikos Greek yogurt with a side of fresh fruit.

Special K protein bar or Fiber Plus bar with some fruit.

Special K breakfast sandwiches in the freezer aisle are delish.

So many ideas!
  • candy868
    Options
    An egg cooked with Pam is only 70 calories, add to that a turkey sausage (Jimmy Dean has a maple one that is good), if you eat one it is only 55 calories. I decorate my plate with fruit to make it look nice. It cooks up quick and is satisfying. Depending on the day I might have more than one egg. I also make a black bean salsa (can of drained black beans, can of drained corn, can of drained diced tomatoes add fat free italian dressing - only 75 calories 1/2 cup. I throw 1/4 cup on top of the egg - yum!

Good Luck!
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Both of these are less than 300 calories:

Yogurt Parfait:

Mix 1/2 c low fat yogurt and 1/4 c low fat cottage cheese. Dice up half a banana and a couple of strawberries. Layer in a tall glass with 1/4 c yogurt (3-4 layers of each, divide the granola equally between the layers).

English Muffin Sandwich

Toast an English Muffin (I like Thomas Triple Health), fry an egg with non stick cooking spray, make a sandwich with the egg, 1 oz deli ham and a slice of Sargento Ultra Thin cheese on the English muffin.
  • drizzlesugar
    Options
    I love to drink smoothies for breakfast. You can create so many different varieties so they never get boring.
    Adding fruit and even veggies they can be incredibly nutritious. Plus you can add other healthy ingredients such as flax or chai
    seeds or supplemental powder. I always feel satisfied after drinking one.
  • PokerChris
    PokerChris Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I enjoy Eggo Nutri Grain Low Fat Waffles with light or sugar free syrup, plus Dannon light vanilla yogurt and fresh berries.
  • cemckay
    cemckay Posts: 9
    Options
    I've just started following the Clean & Lean diet and have been having Porridge made with water & berries or eggs - poached / scrambled or omelet and have to say I stay fuller longer even though I need to get up 20 min earlier for breakfast before work!

There is also a home recipe for a protein health bar that you can make in advance if you don't have time to cook a breakfast - happy to send it to you
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Do a search on 'breakfast'. Tons of threads out there.
  • jackielou867
    jackielou867 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Big fan of eggs. In the microwave I can cook a vegetable omelette in under 5 minutes. Fills you up for hours. Tomorrow I am planning cottage cheese with beetroot. Otherwise if really rushed, piece of fruit and a yogurt does me.
  • Red_Sparrow
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast - halve a couple of large avocados, scoop out a little of the inside, drop an egg in. Bake it at 400 for 15 minutes.

Runny baked egg yolk + avocado meat = best!
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I have been hooked on the "Overnight Oatmeal's". If you do a search of them, you will get tons of different recipes, they are so good and filling! I also enjoy an English muffin with peanut butter and banana;)
  • tjsoccermom
    tjsoccermom Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    My new favorite breakfast - halve a couple of large avocados, scoop out a little of the inside, drop an egg in. Bake it at 400 for 15 minutes.

Runny baked egg yolk + avocado meat = best!

Mmmm...never thought of something like that, will have to try it, I love avocados. Might be good with some salsa on it too! Thanks for the idea!
  • GardenGirlie
    GardenGirlie Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My fave is an over easy egg on a slice of Dave's Killer Bread. No butter needed if the egg is not over cooked. :-)
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I like a fried egg (yolk firm but not hard-set) on a light English muffin with Laughing Cow cheese or Greek Yogurt cream cheese and a slice or two of turkey bacon. Or two eggs scrambled with veggies (I use the Recipe Ready frozen blends), rolled up in deli turkey slices, and dipped in guacamole. Or a turkey bacon/avocado/tomato sandwich on a toasted English muffin. Or a smoothie with Greek yogurt, almond milk, frozen fruit, and loads of spinach.

Once in a blue moon I'll have whole-wheat pancakes or regular old cereal, but I like trying to get something more substantial, tasty, and protein-rich in at the beginning of my food day. You'd be amazed how delicious, easy, and satiating these meals are!
  • kohnda34
    kohnda34 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with a banana mixed in.. pretty good and keeps the hunger away.
  • lilredhead314
    lilredhead314 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I recently posted about what I eat for breakfast on another form, here's a rehash:

Here's what i eat for breakfast at my desk. All of these are about 5 min of active cooking time and I make them in the morning before I go to work.

Fat-free greek yogurt with honey and fresh berries
    Frozen banana with sunbutter and hemp seeds (I have all the ingredients at work and make once i get in)
    Chia pudding and a banana (can make night before and stick in the fridge)
    Baked oatmeal in a jar (mix ingredients together and stick in the oven before you jump in the the shower, 25 min to cook, so it should be out of the oven before you finish getting ready)
    Overnight oats in a jar (clearly this needs to be made the night before)

On the weekends/days off I eat eggs, either baked or in an omelet. Sometimes, if I'm feeling fancy, I make crepes or pancakes from scratch.