wired (?) heart rate monitor

Options
I've searched the many heart rate monitor posts, and haven't found any that really answer my question, so I apologize if this is a topic that's been raised before.

Having had some significant heart problems, I'm trying to stick to a diet/exercise routine to improve my health overall. It's important that I exercise daily, but I also have to be careful not to overdo it.

I'm trying to find a heart rate monitor that I can wear while on the treadmill, that will:
- display/graph heart rate in real time on a laptop. Wired (USB?) is OK
- log the results so I can discuss them with my cardiologist

My goal is to reach a certain heart rate in a given period of time, maintain that rate for another set interval, then cool down accordingly, all graphed and recorded for posterity. Calories burned isn't really a consideration; losing weight is only a secondary goal for me.

I would prefer NOT to use a smartphone. I'm not a fan of those tiny screens, and would really prefer a dedicated computer monitor or laptop permanently mounted near the treadmill so I can see the chart in real time.

I'm still searching the internet retailers for such a beast, but figured a post here might help zero in on it.

Thank you!

Replies

• prosperkat
    prosperkat Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Never tried this myself - but I believe you could get a HRM with a Bluetooth transmitter (like Polar) and get a Bluetooth dongle (transmitter / receiver that plugs into a USB port) for your computer. Then download the Polar Weblink software (I found the information below).

http://www.polar.com/us-en/support/Polar_WebLink_Software?product_id=104&category=downloads

And you'll be wireless. I'm no techie though - so, maybe others can sanity check my suggestion.
  • 2012loseit
    2012loseit Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    i know Polar do one that you use in your iphone but if you have an iPad you could use that (this is what hubby does)
  • Socalgal13
    Options
    Hi, I am a gadget kind of gal and I have never seen anything that will give you real time monitoring for home or personal use. I am familiar with the ones that they have at the doctor;s office and I am thinking that is what you are talking about in terms of seeing HR in real time on a graph.

I wear a HR monitor made by Garmin and I can set it up to see the current heart rate show as a number ie "147" if I slow down on the treadmill I can watch the number decrease as my effort decreases. But the beauty of the Garmin is that I can upload the information to the Garmin connect website and it will provide me with a graph of my HR for the training session. I have printed the graph and taken it to both my doc and PT so the can monitor my HR as well. It also is cue sheet for my PT when he sees a spike on my chart of "183" (my max HR) he will ask me about it and see if that is for any concern. I have a Garmin 910XT which might be overkill for what you are looking for. I think there is a model called a Garmin FR70 or FR80 which is a basic HR monitor that lets you program HR zones and then upload to the Garmin connect website.

I hope this is helpful to you...PM me if you have any other questions