The Dreaded Number

Options
Hi.

I'm new here. This is my first day on the site, but I've been using the app for four days now.

Last week I went to the doctor for a typical check-in-to-get-a-prescription-refill. They had me step on the scale and there it was. :noway: I've never seen that number associated with me before and, frankly, it scared the hell out of me. Then when I was with the doctor, he mentioned one thing to help me out would be to "maintain a healthy weight," which I'm assuming is doctor speak for, "you need to lose weight." After that, I pulled out the Wii Fit that's just been sitting in my living room, shoved under the coffee table. And when I got on it didn't sugar coat it. It told me I was overweight. I used to be on the upper end of the healthy weight scale.

So, now I'm here. Freaking out. My mom is severely overweight. I don't know how much she weighs, but I'm guessing she'd be under the morbidly obese category, as she's gotten to the point that her knees can't handle the weight and she can barely walk. Seeing the number I saw for my weight the other day, I immediately realized, if I don't do something, I'll probably end up like that. And that terrifies me.

I have a major problem with finishing things that I start. I'm not good at follow-through. At.All. Do any of you have tips for keeping the drive going? I'm really worried that I'll start off great like this, then falter, then give up and pretend my weight isn't an issue...which will just make it that much worse for me.

Thanks.
:ohwell:

Replies

• Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good luck and welcome to MFP. for every 1 lb you lose, you take 4 pounds of weight presure off your knees. Might want to tell your mother that.
  • Tasha1476
    Options
    Hi.

I'm new here. This is my first day on the site, but I've been using the app for four days now.

Last week I went to the doctor for a typical check-in-to-get-a-prescription-refill. They had me step on the scale and there it was. :noway: I've never seen that number associated with me before and, frankly, it scared the hell out of me. Then when I was with the doctor, he mentioned one thing to help me out would be to "maintain a healthy weight," which I'm assuming is doctor speak for, "you need to lose weight." After that, I pulled out the Wii Fit that's just been sitting in my living room, shoved under the coffee table. And when I got on it didn't sugar coat it. It told me I was overweight. I used to be on the upper end of the healthy weight scale.

So, now I'm here. Freaking out. My mom is severely overweight. I don't know how much she weighs, but I'm guessing she'd be under the morbidly obese category, as she's gotten to the point that her knees can't handle the weight and she can barely walk. Seeing the number I saw for my weight the other day, I immediately realized, if I don't do something, I'll probably end up like that. And that terrifies me.

I have a major problem with finishing things that I start. I'm not good at follow-through. At.All. Do any of you have tips for keeping the drive going? I'm really worried that I'll start off great like this, then falter, then give up and pretend my weight isn't an issue...which will just make it that much worse for me.

Thanks.
    :ohwell:

its funny to hear the overweight from a machine and have it hurt! I have been there. when I first stepped on my wii I was a bmi of 29.78 (juuuust barely out of the obese column) This morning when I stepped on my wii, my BMI was 25.53 (A mere 3.7 lbs from it calling me "normal" --though still a bit away from healthy) What Im saying is that I promise you, it gets better. And also, the wii really can help you stay accountable and motivated. It becomes exciting just to get to one BMI number less, or in the next 10 LBS.

You have come to the right site, the MOST important thing you can do is make friends if you see a post you like, add that person, because they are the ones who understand what you are going through and can support and help you no matter what.

Welcome and Good Luck! (and remember this can be FUN!! :D)
  • crimsonrambler
    crimsonrambler Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you for replying! I'll take your advice for sure!
  • mtzrose2001
    mtzrose2001 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Good luck with you weight loss goal. Stay focused. Keep your mind on your goals. I'm sure you'll find a lot of support here to help keep you motivated.
  • souixz
    souixz Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey there!

You're definitley in the right place for support to keep you going. Make some friends and keep in touch....trust me, their accomplishments are incredible motivation. Also, don't always stress about that scale number:) Sometimes (I think we have all been ther) the scale doesn't reflect the hard work but the measuring tape will, or the pants hanging a little lower, or the blouse not so tight across the chest or getting off the floor easier...........these are all great steps in the right direction. One of my biggest goals is to master a move in yoga, but I keep forgeting all the other poses that are no sweat now:-)

Welcome to a wonderful community