Do's and Dont's?

cemeterydrive
cemeterydrive Posts: 2
edited November 2023 in Getting Started
I've tried weight loss before (but in the way that no one should ever..) and now I'm trying to do it in a healthy fashion (clean eating/daily exercise with occasional cheat/rest days). I was wondering, what are foods you should DEFINITELY avoid when beginning this process? I've tried looking and searching online, however, you never really know what to believe and not believe on the Internet. So I've come here, seeking advice from people with experience. Thank you!!

Replies

• laurelboynton
    laurelboynton Posts: 104 Member
    There aren't really any inherently bad ingredients.. Just combinations of lots of ingredients to make processed foods. Cakes/ice cream/crisps/puddings/calorie laden sauces with cream in

Eat in moderation- go light on unhealthy fats.

Good luck
  • IouliaN
    IouliaN Posts: 16
    I usually start with cutting out refined sugar/desserts, white flour (I don;t eat in anyway), white pasta - any refined carbs. Good luck!
  • kristidem
    kristidem Posts: 160 Member
    Start with small changes depending on what you eat currently. Like if you drink regular soda, switch to diet or sparkling water. If you eat white rice/pasta, switch to brown rice / wheat pasta (or do half and half for a transition). If you eat a lot of processed snack, replace a snack a week with something healthier. Good luck!
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    For me - I immediately cut out pastry - it's what got me here in the first place .... Cheese straws etc. I am a cheese lover so I only now buy the extra strong stuff but need less of it. I cut out shop/restaurant fries and make my own oven baked ones .... Par boiled potatoes, drained then tossed in about 1 teaspoon olive oil, seasoned and baked. Other than that it's about portion control .... But .... That is me - everyone us different ! Good luck - you can do this :-)
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    I've tried weight loss before (but in the way that no one should ever..) and now I'm trying to do it in a healthy fashion (clean eating/daily exercise with occasional cheat/rest days). I was wondering, what are foods you should DEFINITELY avoid when beginning this process? I've tried looking and searching online, however, you never really know what to believe and not believe on the Internet. So I've come here, seeking advice from people with experience. Thank you!!

Unless you have a medical condition, you do not have to avoid anything. If you are approaching weight loss in a healthy way, a calorie deficit is all that is needed, along with realistic goals. There is no reason to label foods as "good", "bad", "clean", and "dirty", nor is there any reason to eliminate items that you enjoy. Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.
  • sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member

Unless you have a medical condition, you do not have to avoid anything. If you are approaching weight loss in a healthy way, a calorie deficit is all that is needed, along with realistic goals. There is no reason to label foods as "good", "bad", "clean", and "dirty", nor is there any reason to eliminate items that you enjoy. Calorie deficit for weight loss and exercise for fitness.

this is good advice ^
  • Neondragonfly
    Neondragonfly Posts: 58 Member
    My problem seems to be portion control on any foods I eat.
    I just cannot seem to be satisfied once I have eaten the correct portion size of something and so caution gets thrown to the wind and I start to munch on anything I can.
    This is something I have to really watch out on.
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Personally, I don't avoid anything. I simply eat within my calorie range. Usually that means lower calorie stuff so I can eat more lol. Nothing is off limits however.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    If you're wanting to eat clean you should avoid highly processed/refined foods/ingredients at all times. Avoiding things like artificial sweeteners is important since many are actually toxic chemicals. Man made chemical preservatives aren't generally good either, and there is some new evidence that artificial coloring in food can cause health problems. In general, keep the foods you consume as natural as possible.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,751 Member
    Measuring is more important than cutting out.
    Then tracking it.
    Then stay at your calorie level.

That should do it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    My biggest "Don't" would be: Don't divide foods up into groups of good/bad, clean/dirty, healthy/unhealthy, safe/unsafe etc. Don't get pulled into extreme black & white thinking about food. Look at the nutritional content of your overall daily (and even weekly) diet. There is no food you have to avoid in order to lose weight or be healthy (with obvious exceptions where allergies, intolerances and specific medical disorders are involved.) For example, I am maintaining an 85 lb loss, and (as far as I and my doctor know) am healthy and fit. I regularly eat foods that aren't "diet" foods, including bread, real butter, full fat cheese, chocolate, bacon, white pasta, white rice, ice cream etc - even processed foods. However, I also eat a lot of foods like lean meats, eggs, fish, nuts, berries, vegetables and Greek yoghurt.

Do: eat the foods you like in portion sizes that allow you to meet your calorie goal. Make any adjustment you need so that you're getting enough protein, fats, fibre and micronutrients. Keep it simple.
  • Avoid eating ANYTHING processed, as this could sabotage your efforts to get to your goal. Try to stay closer to super foods such as chicken breasts, steak, fish, leafy greens, beans, and all sorts of fruits and veg. Another thing to do is instead of eating 3 large meals a day; try eating 5 smaller meals throughout the day. Schedule your meals and drink lots of water! Find a kind of exercise regime that works for you and do that exercise however so many days a week you deem necessary (we are all different). Something that is also helpful, I find, is to have 1 cheat day a week this is where after the end of the week I can have what I want (within moderation) In a way it tells your body you've earned it, and it's kind of a reward for all your hard work.

Hope this helps stay strong girl :)
  • rmblackmt123
    rmblackmt123 Posts: 18 Member
    Easiest for me is when I grocery shop just stay to the outside ring of the store. All the aisles are where the boxed goods are that are the most processed. Once you fill your cart with the good fruits veggies and meat then you'll need less "filler" Also I'm a big chip eater, I like the crunch so I snack on Special K chips and that satisfies my need for the crunch and you can actually have quite a bit for a 110 calorie serving. Good luck and just remember moderation in foods.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    DO eat protein and lift, make sure you get some fat in your diet, too.
    DON'T worry about the rest because it doesn't really matter. Things like "clean" and "dirty" foods, meal timing/number of meals, etc. make no difference.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    It's quite individual.

Some of us find that we react to certain things in ways that make us overeat. For example, I am very susceptible to feeling ravenously hungry after I have something sweet -- be it sugar sweetened or artificial sweeteners -- so I've cut out sugar in my coffee and diet Coke because they were causing me to want to eat more. You may not be affected in this way by artificial sweeteners so it may not be a problem for you.

Some of us can't control our portions of some items. For example, if cookies or potato chips are in my cupboards, I have to eat them until they are gone. I can't stand knowing they are in the house and not eating them. So I avoid having them in the house.

You may not have such problems so what to cut out in general? As they say, really nothing. But some foods are healthier than others and since you will be restricting calories you don't want to waste them on lousy foods. I try to model my eating on the "healthy eating plate" at http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/.

And what rmblackmt123 said. Do most of your grocery shopping in the outer aisles -- specifically in the produce section. Lots of veggies! Fewer processed foods loaded with hidden sugars and salt.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    so-called "clean eating" is silly nonsense.

in fact, the mindset behind "clean eating" is unhealthy. that mindset is orthorexic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa

this mindset can easily lead to real eating disorders such as anorexia or bulimia.

you should never feel guilt or shame about eating any food. you should never feel guilt or shame about messing up and having a day where you exceed your calories. people who tell you that you need to subscribe to a philosophy that encourages thoughts of guilt and shame for not eating perfectly every day, are buttholes.

eat the foods you like. focus on meeting your macros and calorie goals. everything else will fall into place in the process.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    you should never feel guilt or shame about eating any food. you should never feel guilt or shame about messing up and having a day where you exceed your calories. people who tell you that you need to subscribe to a philosophy that encourages thoughts of guilt and shame for not eating perfectly every day, are buttholes.

eat the foods you like. focus on meeting your macros and calorie goals. everything else will fall into place in the process.

^^^^ THIS. COMPLETELY.

Guess what? We are ALL going to screw up sometimes. It happens. Sometimes it's planned, sometimes not. A treat day, a treat meal is not only not a bad thing, for a lot of people it's a really good thing. In moderation. All things in moderation. And when you do screw up, when you go over your calorie target (and you will because we ALL do), shrug it off, learn from it and get back in the game the next day. You only fail if you quit. If you don't quit, you haven't failed.

Focus on foods you like. Sure there are some foods better than others. Don't plan on a diet of a half gallon of Haagen Dazs. But foods that fall within your macros, pretty much everything goes. The one thing I would recommend, especially when starting is planning ahead, and especially pre-logging your food. Knowing what you are going to eat ahead of time helps keep you on task and makes things go better. Just MHO.
  • papillon71
    papillon71 Posts: 92 Member
    Refined sugar products, high saturated fat products
  • Wildflower0106
    Wildflower0106 Posts: 247 Member
    My biggest "Don't" would be: Don't divide foods up into groups of good/bad, clean/dirty, healthy/unhealthy, safe/unsafe etc. Don't get pulled into extreme black & white thinking about food. Look at the nutritional content of your overall daily (and even weekly) diet. There is no food you have to avoid in order to lose weight or be healthy (with obvious exceptions where allergies, intolerances and specific medical disorders are involved.) For example, I am maintaining an 85 lb loss, and (as far as I and my doctor know) am healthy and fit. I regularly eat foods that aren't "diet" foods, including bread, real butter, full fat cheese, chocolate, bacon, white pasta, white rice, ice cream etc - even processed foods. However, I also eat a lot of foods like lean meats, eggs, fish, nuts, berries, vegetables and Greek yoghurt.

Do: eat the foods you like in portion sizes that allow you to meet your calorie goal. Make any adjustment you need so that you're getting enough protein, fats, fibre and micronutrients. Keep it simple.

Very well said!
  • HelenTheZ
    HelenTheZ Posts: 42 Member
    Hi! With the great support and help from everyone at MFP, I am finding my latest health venture to be very pleasant and encouraging.

My approach is to find out, through trial and error, which foods make me feel satisfied and which foods don't. I avoid foods with sugar added for now, because I have found out that I do better with higher protein (e.g., I feel fuller and have more energy), and I like to try to stay within my calorie allotment. I have noticed, however, that I have felt weaker and less satisfied as the first week went on, so I would like to get close to my calorie goal. To do that, I will try more vegetables, less fruit.

I finally realize that for me, a new health is a process and I am constantly learning. I know my body best, if I will just listen to it and be patient with my stumbles. I used to equate my weight with my worth as a person, and if I didn't "diet" perfectly, I would beat myself up and quit. Now, I see my weight as a fact about me that I wish to change - not a moral gauge. It has helped!

Helen Z.
This discussion has been closed.