Continue to eat after feeling full?

Options
Some days I have troubles eating the calories required. Even though I'm only at 1200, some days it is a challenge and others I could easily eat twice that.

I weigh and measure all of my food before I eat and log those portions. Those portions would equal my calorie requirement. But sometimes I will feel full before I finish eating that plate. It doesn't make sense to keep eating after I'm full but I know I won't meet the calorie requirements if I don't. I'm nervous about having my efforts be for nothing if I don't eat enough calories and then my body want to keep all the ones they do get or on the other hand eat too much and still not lose weight.

It seems like there is a fine line between the two and I don't think it should be that tricky.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Replies

• MakingMyDreamsComeTrue2015
    Options
    I personally think don't eat once your full. If you feel like your going to be under your calorie goal by too much then later when your hungry eat a very small snack to finish of calories.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    There is a lot of posts about this sort of thing, I sometimes struggle too, best thing to do maybe eat small meals frequently, eat calorie AND nutrient dense foods, nuts are a great thing to snack on to boost it (if you're not allergic obviously) and things like that just try spread out the calories over the day so you're not having to eat when you're body says stop.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends. A lot of people eat big meals 2-3 times a day, and don't snack. I imagine that they pretty much have to continue eating when feeling full to do so, but then they stay full longer too. Personally, I don't like big meals.

In the end it really doesn't matter as long as you hit your calorie goal for the day.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try more calorie dense food like nuts, avocado, full fat dairy, peanut butter, etc.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Your diary is closed, so it is hard to tell. For me it would depend on nutrients consumed and overall patterns. I don't stress if I'm under one day anymore than I stress if I'm over the next.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should keep eating if you're full, but I do think you should try to incorporate some low-volume/high-calorie foods and make sure you monitor yourself after meals -- if you start feeling hungry again an hour or two later, be sure to grab a snack or the remainder of your meal. Some people just aren't Big Hungry three times a day on a schedule; maybe your body wants smaller amounts with greater frequency.

Also be sure to note any feelings of fatigue, headaches, dizziness, or nausea. Weirdly enough (especially weird for the nausea), these can all be signs that you're hungry, even if your stomach isn't registering it.
  • matthewsism
    Options
    I found that as well when I first was doing this that I was eating too much and never feeling hungry even though i wasnt taking in more than 1200 calories so I now pay more attention to my body and don't worry as much about what the app says. If it tells me when I finish logging I ate too few calories I do not go and eat. I figure it's just a bloody app and it doesn't know how my body feels. Also, I expect that if my activity levels increase and I am burning more calories I may feel hungry more and eat more. I use this app more as a guide that I pick and choose from. I won't go to a dr that won't listen to me so why should I let this little tool control me?
  • loiswilkerson
    loiswilkerson Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have no dietary restrictions or allergies. My only health problem currently is high cholesterol. Doc says no full fat dairy and stay away from cheese, carbs, and red meats. I have suspicion of insulin resistance going on, but that has not been mentioned by my doc yet.

Spreading the calories out and more calorie dense foods makes sense. I'm eating a TON of veggies now so that may be why. 2 cups of steamed veggies and it is like 60 cals. I read somewhere that grazing and snacking all day isn't good for your body either because something about it is always digesting something and not getting a break. I don't know as I didn't really pay attention.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense foods. Most people who chose the 1200 calorie diet are also trying to live on veggies and steamed fish. Eat eggs, full fat dairy, nuts, lean meats, oils, avocado, peanut butter to get your calories up without increasing volume. There are no bad foods and eating fat doesn't make you fat.
  • matthewsism
    Options
    Maybe you should try more calorie dense food like nuts, avocado, full fat dairy, peanut butter, etc.

I think this is a good idea to try. I spent last week eating avocados, like three a day, and I lost a couple pounds that week too and I was closer to the mfp requirement. My hair might be shinier too!
  • loiswilkerson
    Options
    Ok, I unlocked my diary. And I'm open to add anyone as a friend. I'm really new at this and need all the help I can get.
    And yes, pp, I am trying to live off veggies and steamed fish - lol.
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Check out other peoples diary too I always get some great idea's by stalking certain friends food diaries :laugh:
  • PinkLotus4
    PinkLotus4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have been having a similar issue, although Im using 1700 calory diet....TDEE minus 20%
    Oddly I have lost way way more weight eating more calories....6 pounds in a week then when I tried 1200 calory diet in the past
    I do struggle to meet that many calories...I usually end up closer to 1500 or 1600....One tablespoon of almond butter is 100 calories and almond butter is good for you and soooooo good......Try a bowl of fresh blueberries with a couple of tablespoons of almond butter....yum!!! and right there you have about 300 calories or so.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Feeling full is generally a trained response. Hormones control when you feel full and when you feel hungry, and your body changes the hormone production to match your eating patterns (a survival trick, it prevents you from feeling hungry if you are trying to hunt for food, and prevents you from doing full before you've consumed enough calories to survive until the next hunt.) Unfortunately, we don't need to hunt for food, and have a constant supply. This is why an app like MFP is useful, it allows you to keep track of your eating habits and retrain your hormones to function properly (anyone who is overweight has hormonal issues, being overweight causes them.)

Until you've trained your body as to what an appropriate amount of food is, and when you typically eat, using hunger or full signals to determine when to eat or stop is a pretty horrible idea.

There are plenty of people who eat 500 calories a day, but never feel hungry. Completely unhealthy, but it's the way they've trained their body. Don't rely on it if you aren't hitting appropriate nutrition goals, as it can take months to reset hormones.
  • loiswilkerson
    Options
    PP, I have heard of people saying they lose more weight at a higher calorie goal. So how do I know what is right for me? Trial and error, I'm guessing. How long should I give a new 'plan' to work? Is a month enough?

I'm not in a race and I know losing weight will take time. I'm just feeling a little rushed by my doc about my cholesterol. If I don't have significant improvement by November, he is pretty adamant about sending me home with a script for Crestor :(