MUSIC, did I miss this memo?

Options
thesophierose
thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
When I listen to music I listen to is as a whole. I find myself constantly falling deeper and deeper in love with the band, the emotion, the energy and the atmosphere behind the album because the music speak out to me. I feel it. Of course there are songs that jump out or stand out more than others do, but none the less the whole album is what completes the intensity of passion and love I have. There is no such thing as "skipping" a song when I listen, I listen straight through. Always. This is how I find my energy; my hearts rhythm.

But now it's like, all I see is people obsessing over the singles bands release for radio play, or release over itunes for free streaming and they push the whole album away. I can't help but wonder why? Since when did the single become the WHOLE experience to you? When did I miss this memo!?

I mean don't get me wrong, I love iTunes, and I love that the radio is starting to play more and more of my favorite music... but I wonder NEVER push away the album itself for any of that. The album is what makes the single a masterpiece. I never want to miss any of the hidden gems musicians put in their music by ignoring the album for a single. Y'know?!

I don't know, I am just irritated and wish more people would click "But album" rather than just buying the singles. I always buy the WHOLE album. I encourage you to do the same.Technology may have changed but the fact that a band makes a WHOLE album for you hasn't. Dig deep and I promise you,you will fall deeper in love with the artist than you ever could only listening to one song.

Thoughts?

Replies

• steve8a
    steve8a Posts: 4
    Options
    ADHD...it affects everything, even music :-)
  • thesophierose
    Options
    But people are missing the big picture D:
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Not every album is made like that. Why would I spend $30 to buy a whole album when I only like two or three of the songs? It doesn't make sense. I'll give the other songs a shot, I'll listen to them, but if I don't like them then I'm not going to buy them.

Eh, I listen to techno, they don't have "albums" anyway. They have songs that are released together, but generally no more than five. And I still only buy the ones I like.

When DJ is playing a set, he or she doesn't play one person's full album. No, he/she chooses carefully which song to play. If it was all by the same person, it'd be really boring. Same type of music nonstop. It's good to switch it up!!
  • pseudomuffin
    pseudomuffin Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I only buy the whole album if I know I really love the artist. I make a lot of playlists with songs that compliment each other and the mood I'm trying to propagate :)

I love to listen to music very deeply and to connect with it, but I rarely have time to lay abed with my stereo headphones. Now I drink in the soul of the music and the atmosphere of the venue at concerts and the symphony. ❤
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    The great thing about music, or any kind of art, is that people are free to enjoy it in a number of ways that suit them.

Calm down and listen to an album, OP.
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It is a bit of like or not like but what my daughter and I see is "is it popular?"

So....... one person or group of people tells you this is the best thing ever and to be in with social media you go there too. I like one or two of Adlee's songs but not enough to buy the whole album. I have every album for elbow, Black Keys, The National, Led Zeppelin...etc. My music taste is very diverse. When we are at concerts at many SoCal venues we find people to be there to say they were there, talking through even quiet music. I have been in places where the artists begged the crowd to be quiet so they (the artist we paid to see) could be heard clearly.....it is sad and disrespectful. We saw several artists in Scotland and the people there were so quiet that is was surreal but incredibly enjoyable.

Music is the infinite language not a badge to wear to say you were there.
  • Kanlassak
    Kanlassak Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There are bands where I get the whole album and it's great together, or start only liking a few songs but could see myself liking the rest.
    There are ones where the album has a few songs that actually ruin the rest of it for me, whether because of a jarring theme shift or a song I truly dislike (this tends to happen more with collections of artists based on a theme, or movie/game soundtracks, but could be an experimental song or just one that doesn't quite match).
    And there are times where there isn't an album, for whatever reason, or the set is just too long. Much as I like The Ride of the Valkyries, I've never listened to the whole 16 hours of the Ring Cycle. And if I'm going on a 20 min jog, I don't need 45 min of music.

I don't see any reason why people shouldn't just listen to only the songs they like from an album, or only the albums they like from an artist. Searching out individual songs from youtube or tumblr or friends is how I've found several bands I like as a whole, and several songs I like equally well, but in isolation.
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    There are some songs that have significant meaning to me, but generally I don't take music that seriously.
  • thesophierose
    Options
    I guess it's too each it's own.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    This isn't new. People have always been that way, they wanna hear the hits but miss the really cool stuff in between. We called them posers
  • thesophierose
    Options
    Well the posers are missing out BIG time.