So my dogs just got into a fight... first time ever!

Options
We've had our oldest dog since 2010 (rescued from a shelter). Our newest dog came to us in March of this year. So far they've gotten along just great. Then today we were throwing toys around and they both went after the same toy and just fought like mad. It was scary! Anyone have this happen randomly out of the blue with their doggies?

Oldest - 15 lb terrier/chihuahua female 6 years old
Youngest - 25 lb beagle female 5 years old

Replies

• ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Don't worry too much. Like people dogs fall out with each other, but rarely do any real damage. I have five dogs and occasionally there will be a bit of an argument, but they have never really hurt each other. The time to concern yourself is when they do take chunks out of each other, but I don't get the impression that's the case here?
  • julesyb1982
    Options
    Don't worry too much. Like people dogs fall out with each other, but rarely do any real damage. I have five dogs and occasionally there will be a bit of an argument, but they have never really hurt each other. The time to concern yourself is when they do take chunks out of each other, but I don't get the impression that's the case here?

No physical injuries were done. The beagle is possessive over toys and I think that's the problem.
  • Casstevens133
    Casstevens133 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Yes I agree with Ron - terriers are monkeys for making a little scrap sound like a full blown war!! If they usually get on then no problem. Dogs have a canny way of working out hierarchy and you probably need to let them work it out. If they really do start to fight ... Ie blood shed then that might be different - but it's unlikely that will happen. Remember a dogs bark is usually worse than its bite!! I have 3 dogs toon:-)
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Yes sounds like it is just dogs being dogs. If you want to learn more about how dogs interract I would recommend getting a book by Jan Fennell, her website is http://www.janfennellthedoglistener.com/
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options

No physical injuries were done. The beagle is possessive over toys and I think that's the problem.

thank you for rescuing your dogs! esp your beagle (i do beagle rescue!).....i agree with the other comments, it happens if they did not get so aggressive as to hurt each other, it was like humans yelling I'd guess as to animal behavior equivalent.....and if they stopped on their own, even better.
  • julesyb1982
    Options

thank you for rescuing your dogs! esp your beagle (i do beagle rescue!).....i agree with the other comments, it happens if they did not get so aggressive as to hurt each other, it was like humans yelling I'd guess as to animal behavior equivalent.....and if they stopped on their own, even better.

My beagle was from The Hound Rescue (Austin, TX) and my terrier was from the Humane Society of Central Illinois (where we used to live). I am a devoted animal lover who only believes in rescue! I wouldn't step foot in a pet store these days. Anyhoo.........Before this new beagle, we had our beloved Chloe beagle. She was our first dog as a married couple and we adored her. She may have been the perfect dog. Patient, sweet, ADORED children, tolerated other dogs, ignored our cats. She passed in 2012 due to a spleen tumor and we were beyond devastated. I Loved the breed so we rescued another beagle this March (exactly a year after her passing). Chloe was non aggressive, but Clementine (new beags) seems to have toy issues. She didn't care about toys until we rescued her. Mitzie is a scrapper and is very protective. She can hold her own for sure. I still hate to see them argue. Hoping it was a fluke.
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I agree. Dogs being dogs. I wouldn't worry too much about 1 time, especially if there weren't any injuries. If it happens again, then I'd start to watch them a little more closely. But for now, meh. It's hard to watch, but I wouldn't stress too much.
  • msclairuk
    msclairuk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Two females dogs (I usually tell my clients it's like two women in a kitchen!). B*T*H 2 B*T*H aggression over items is very common, especially if they are hormonal.It is difficult to diagnose the 'exact reason' for your dogs tiff but dogs can sometimes guard resources that are high value to them (e.g. the toy) and especially if the resource is not regularly available or if they feel they're under threat that the resource is being shared or taken away.. Things such as food, water, beds, toys and even company from their owner are often causes for dogs to disagree. I have a fact-sheet that I can send you which may be useful and an interesting read. I would not recommend reading 'celebrity dog trainers' books as training methods vary and sadly the common 'dominance theory' is widely advised but very outdated and may heighten a problem. I would also say that because the toys were being thrown it is likely they were highly aroused too which may have contributed. I wouldn't be worried over one scrap but I would just monitor them and their relationship at the mo.
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Two females dogs (I usually tell my clients it's like two women in a kitchen!). B*T*H 2 B*T*H aggression over items is very common, especially if they are hormonal.It is difficult to diagnose the 'exact reason' for your dogs tiff but dogs can sometimes guard resources that are high value to them (e.g. the toy) and especially if the resource is not regularly available or if they feel they're under threat that the resource is being shared or taken away.. Things such as food, water, beds, toys and even company from their owner are often causes for dogs to disagree. I have a fact-sheet that I can send you which may be useful and an interesting read. I would not recommend reading 'celebrity dog trainers' books as training methods vary and sadly the common 'dominance theory' is widely advised but very outdated and may heighten a problem. I would also say that because the toys were being thrown it is likely they were highly aroused too which may have contributed. I wouldn't be worried over one scrap but I would just monitor them and their relationship at the mo.

Perfect answer! :flowerforyou: I totally agree!
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Wondering if they had bared teeth? My black labrador is the gentlest creature alive and my neighbour has a very well-behaved husky/malamute. They're best friends but they often get protective over their toys, especially if they're in one-another's gardens. To anyone else they'd look like they were viciously attacking eath other -there's fangs and paws everywhere. What's actually happening is just a friendly fight. Their teeth clack and they wrestle. It's harmless fun to them, they've been doing it for years together and neither of them have ever tried to do it with another dog which leads me to believe it involves a great deal of trust.

I wouldn't be concerned with hackles raising either, many people think this is a sign of aggression but it's more a sign of excitement and anticipation -occassionally nervousness(my labs afraid of the hairdrier and retreats to a corner with his hackles raised).

If your dog ever starts doing this with a dog they don't know, then I'd be concerned. If not, let them have their little battle but keep a keen eye on them -little dogs tend to have sharp teeth and that might result in unintendedly sore nips or scratches.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    We had something similar happen earlier this year, when we fostered another Airedale Terrier. We were initially going to adopt him, but he decided that he liked cats as food and not as friends. While he was here, he kept picking on Otis (30" at the shoulder and 90 lbs) Toby was a standard sized Airedale at about 23" and about 50 lbs.

We were getting ready to take them for a walk, when Toby started growling at Otis because he was close to me. Otis had (apparently) had enough of Toby's behavior, and they got into it. At first, I thought they were playing, but it quickly became apparent that they were fighting. When I got it stopped, (I know, it was probably stupid on my part to step into the middle of a fight between two Airedales, but I did it without thinking) Otis had Toby by the neck, but wasn't clinching down. He was looking to me, and just wanted to teach Toby a lesson. They had no more problems after that.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Dogs can be a bit like small children. If two of them go after the same toy and both want it there can be a squabble for it. I wouldn't worry, unless as the others said they cause injury. My little Pom/Shih Tzu mix does the same thing with my mothers basset hound over the leash of all things. lol
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options

My beagle was from The Hound Rescue (Austin, TX) and my terrier was from the Humane Society of Central Illinois (where we used to live). I am a devoted animal lover who only believes in rescue! I wouldn't step foot in a pet store these days. Anyhoo.........Before this new beagle, we had our beloved Chloe beagle. She was our first dog as a married couple and we adored her. She may have been the perfect dog. Patient, sweet, ADORED children, tolerated other dogs, ignored our cats. She passed in 2012 due to a spleen tumor and we were beyond devastated. I Loved the breed so we rescued another beagle this March (exactly a year after her passing). Chloe was non aggressive, but Clementine (new beags) seems to have toy issues. She didn't care about toys until we rescued her. Mitzie is a scrapper and is very protective. She can hold her own for sure. I still hate to see them argue. Hoping it was a fluke.

Awwww, my little girl is Chloé! lol.....i just adore her and think she is the perfect dog too (as do others, it's not just her mom talking!), my girl can be 'snappy' and 'growly' with dog she doesn't like but never a real fight.....sometimes it's jealousy and asserting her place over foster dogs I bring home. Other times it's dogs at my building or in the neighborhood and I've been told by several trainers she is probably being protective of me.

It's likely the beagle does not like water, so I would suggest getting a spray bottle (Target, Home Depot) and filling it with water and spray them when they act up.....in ANY way. Let them know there are rules that must be followed and it will make them more obedience overall.

Also, try to notice the cues to their skirmishes BEFORE they happen....and cut it off immediately and discipline them. Either spray bottle and a loud "NO" or a time out separately in a room (bathroom, laundry room) or crate.

Dogs, like children, do best with strict rules and boundaries and want to know what is expected and what will not be tolerated.

Overall, though, it happens you just don't want it to get out of hand or become a problem. My dog has a best friend and when we visit them for a few days they have about 3-4 skirmishes and it's over in about 3 minutes and they are back to best friends. She has another best friend in the neighborhood and they growl but never skirmish together.....just like people!!

How old was your Chloe when she passed? I am so sorry, I understand.....it took me several years to get over my boy beagle when he died.
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    We've been through a couple of bad fights. We have two boys and a girl. The boys have fought hard enough that we've been to the vet for treatment of the infection in the punctures. They live separate lives now. The girl - she goes back and forth.

They weren't fighting over the girl - they just go after each other at any chance. My old boy is very dominant and the young boy wants to take over that role I think. There is no resolution as my old dog will not "lose" by personality. So separated which is sort of sad but necessary. I am an experienced dog owner - the younger male is neutered, the girl is spayed. The old boy never has been - just didn't do it then and he's too old now.

The younger outweighs him and can outsmart me! He even faked how far his tie out (run) could reach and let me get too close with old boy on leash and attacked. That was the second fight. Now completely separate lives. NO passing in the yard except by great distances. Oddly neither seems to care much about posturing or fighting when separated.

We've learned to keep the peace. Ours was not normal disputes but a dominance issue. I hope your problems are much simpler.

Those two fights were also notably different than the usual grumbling and arguing fighting among dogs.
  • blah2989
    blah2989 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My grandfathers German shepard jessie, and my pit Max, DO NOT get along. We keep them separate but sometimes grandpa will forget or the kids will let them in together. Max will usually jupst turn the other way, go into thee other room, but if I cant get to jessie in time, jess will follow max, max will snap to say get away and then jess will go after him and max will try to pin him ( which doesnt happen.) They have drawn blood, nothing too serious although one time jessie did bite into max's skull. Poor dog. Max is also the kind of dog where he will release if you grab his mouth or put your hand in his mouth. He will never bite a person. He just wont. But jessie will. If hes scared he bites ( me and fiance have gotten stitches on our hands from jess. ( hes also not trained, so that doesnt help. We try to train hik but my grandfather enables him, lets him get away with everything. ) Its not a good situation. Max is very good with other dogs, great with the kids and a good ranch dog. When he goes to play w my neighbors dogs, he lays in the shade w the llama lol. Great w other animals cats, chickens, goats, horses, ect. So I just keep them separated. Sadie and max get along great ( both my dogs) and my moms cairn eh, everyone tolerates her - she has some nuerological isdues from inbreeding. Didnt find out until after we got her.
  • julesyb1982
    Options

Awwww, my little girl is Chloé! lol.....i just adore her and think she is the perfect dog too (as do others, it's not just her mom talking!), my girl can be 'snappy' and 'growly' with dog she doesn't like but never a real fight.....sometimes it's jealousy and asserting her place over foster dogs I bring home. Other times it's dogs at my building or in the neighborhood and I've been told by several trainers she is probably being protective of me.

It's likely the beagle does not like water, so I would suggest getting a spray bottle (Target, Home Depot) and filling it with water and spray them when they act up.....in ANY way. Let them know there are rules that must be followed and it will make them more obedience overall.

Also, try to notice the cues to their skirmishes BEFORE they happen....and cut it off immediately and discipline them. Either spray bottle and a loud "NO" or a time out separately in a room (bathroom, laundry room) or crate.

Dogs, like children, do best with strict rules and boundaries and want to know what is expected and what will not be tolerated.

Overall, though, it happens you just don't want it to get out of hand or become a problem. My dog has a best friend and when we visit them for a few days they have about 3-4 skirmishes and it's over in about 3 minutes and they are back to best friends. She has another best friend in the neighborhood and they growl but never skirmish together.....just like people!!

How old was your Chloe when she passed? I am so sorry, I understand.....it took me several years to get over my boy beagle when he died.

Chloe was 8 when she passed last year. :( Miss her lots.