Salsa Recipe

Options
Ripe tomatoes on the vine, bunches of cilantro in the garden, bush limbs heavy with serrano and Jalepeno pepper...it's time to make some salsa.

I just tried Trader Joe's serrano salsa fresca, and I really want to try and duplicate it's awesome flavor. Anybody have a recipe that gets close to this one? If not, I'd love to just hear some favorite salsa recipes.

Replies

• jovalleau
    jovalleau Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    There's not much to salsa. Check the ingredients on the TJ container and mess around with the amounts until you get the flavor combo you're looking for.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    My recipe: (I got it from a children's cookbook but I don't remember which one)

Salsa
    1 onion
    1/2 bunch cilantro
    3 roma tomatoes
    1 large jalapeno pepper
    3 limes, squeezed
    1/2 tsp salt
    Chop onion, cilantro & tomatoes. Place in small bowl. Squeeze limes and pour juice in bowl w/tomato mix. Add salt and mix well. Chill several hours or overnight.
  • boognish1972
    boognish1972 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    There's not much to salsa. Check the ingredients on the TJ container and mess around with the amounts until you get the flavor combo you're looking for.

Probably what I'll do. It's just like all food. There really isn't much to cooking most of it, but it takes some skill to cook/make things well. I've made some decent salsas in the past, but usually feel like it's missing something. And I think 95% of the salsas I've purchased in the store taste like crap. We have a lady in town who makes fresh tortillas and salsa, and sells them at the local co-op. Her salsa is the best, but I just can't seem to duplicate it. The TJ's salsa was about the closest commercial salsa I've had to hers. It lists tomatoes & juice, salt, cilantro, onion, serrano peppers, garlic, paprika, citric acid, sugar, black pepper, onion powder, granulated garlic, "spices", & celery seed. Of course getting the correct proportion of everything is the big trick.