Glad to be here

Options
Hello! I'm new tonight. I'm depressed about my weght gain over past few years, in fact, I hate myself..stonge word yes, but it's very true. I was skin and bones all of my life, not underweight but at least I could buy clothes that fit and I was pleased how I looked. Now I can stand to look at myself, and a shopping trip for clothes is a nightmare...I buy nothing and leave store crying. I have serious health issues tjat probably add to the mix, but mu physicians have assured me it's not the cause of my wieght gain. My havits eating have not changed except that I now have to eat gluen free. Never a big exerciser in a formal setting, but boy do I love to dance and that is was I enjoyed aside from stretching. I can't get through a whole dance at a wedding now. My weight gain has me very depressed; I have tried many programs but never had support, just the opposite. My spouse feels he needs to tell me to lose weight almost daily...he stays away from me. Heartbreaking. Good to be here and anxious to make some new friends. My best to you all.

Replies

• lorieric5037
    Options
    This is the best place to be! Find some MFP friends that will motivate you to stay on track. You can add me as a friend if you'd like!:flowerforyou:
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I can totally relate to what you're saying... I almost never shop for clothes except when actually needed. I've cried going out of stores before too. One time, I was shopping with my mom and she was asking for a particular top in her size. The lady minding the store had the gall to say, "Oh we can get that in your size but we have nothing for your companion!". That was more than 10 years ago now but it still stings.

All I can say is that I've struggled with my weight since I was 11. But I've found MFP to be the best tool for me to lose weight. I can keep track of what I eat and exercise and actually see what it's doing to my body. Keeping track of my calories has made me realize where the weight has been coming from. And now the weight is coming off and I'm so proud of what my body can do.

I guess what I'm saying is there is hope and you can do this... you've signed up to MFP and that's a very good first step. Feel free to add me as a friend. Hugs!
  • teresasstruggle1
    Options
    Thank you for your response. I am told often how much support is needed for any endeavor, and I belive we ight loss is right up there on the list. Even though I am a grandmother, it doesn't mean that I don't care how I look and feel about myself. I want to be a sixe ten at least..I know I will never ebe in sixes or eights anymore and that doesn' matter. I want to look better in and out of clothes for MYSELF. I desperately needs some positives in my life right now. Thank you for telling me I can friend you..not sure how to do it though. Having a bit of trouble figuring out this site..been away from working with different programs for nine years when I had to take my disability retirement due to chronic illnesses, so rusty I am..nervous too but i will figure this out. I appreciate your support. Have a wonderful evening and holiday weekend. Thank you!
  • teresasstruggle1
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much. You sound like a very kind young woman. People with a few extra pounds are treated differently, and it really shocks me because as I said I was skinny most of my life. From the sounds of reports on TV we aren't alone either. I feel sorry for the younger generation, and feel strongly that less gym time in school AND computer games and all of the social internet programs are really taking a toll. People are just not getting outside...kids are not playing hide n seek, riding bikes and just horsing around as many of us did as kids. And i can go a lot farther too. However, I can't blame any of that onmy weight issues. I am too sedentary, partly due to depression over weight. I don't want anyone to see me and therefore I miss out on a lot. I need help and support but not sure where to begin. Thank you and I will use you as a friend when I figure out how to do it. Much luck to you. Thank you!!!
  • Xtinesky
    Xtinesky Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello! I know it can get a while to get used to the myfitnesspal program, so I sent you the friend request. It should come up in the top middle part of the screen, beside the envelope and the shadowy person.

You may be a grandma but you can be a hot rocking grandma. I had my baby nearly two years ago (my parents' first grandchild) and my mom at 62 is still gorgeous and fit.

I have been treated differently most of my life and a lot of people here in MFP have struggled with that. I didn't want the same thing for my daughter so I embarked on this journey to be a good role model for her. I want her to be armed with information and a healthy relationship with food as I know her generation will be struggling with their health.

Most people here have been through what you are going through with depression over weight and not wanting to be seen. But I promise you once you start taking control of your situation, you'll find a new strength. I suggest starting by putting your goals into the Goals section. Then start logging your food in the food diary. Just be honest with whatever you eat. Don't think about other changes yet. When I started, I just put whatever food I was eating like KFC and Doritos. That will just help you get a picture of what you are putting into your body.
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    We are glad you are here too so we can help support and motivate you and keep you on track! :bigsmile:
    Just always remember when you are on this journey that only you can make the changes! Times will get tough and it will get hard but thats what we are all here for - to help you!
  • diadia1
    diadia1 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    You can add me too. I have sent yiou afriend request!