Going to start running - where to begin?

Options
I've decided that I'm going to run the Great North Run in September 2011. It's 13 miles (I think!) and to be honest, I've never run in my life. In fact, one of my mottos is "I don't do running"!

What shoes do I need? How long should I aim to do at first? etc, etc.

Replies

• JenniferAutumn
    JenniferAutumn Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hi

Check out this site: Cool Running- Couch to 5K

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/index.shtml
  • crisi13
    Options
    +1 on the Couch to 5K...it's a great program to get started with! After you finish the C25K program, then you can look at Hal Higdon's Half Marathon Training! Good Luck!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Start with couch to 5K then couch to 10k, then throw in some long runs once you complete both programs.
  • mykaar74
    Options
    well I see the rest of the panel have you started on your way with the running program. As far as running shoes I suggest you go into a shoe store or even better go to a podiatrist so they can tell you the type shoe you should wear on your feet. (that's if you don't already know your foot shape, and support needs.) I use Asics Nimbus personally it was highly recommended due to the shape of my foot & having a high arch. Well I wish you luck once you get into running, you gonna find yourself feeling the need to run. Congrats on getting started. Feel free to friend me as a supportive friend.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I agree a 5K distance is the place to start. I found the Couch to 5K program to work really well for me, but it doesn't work for everyone. There are a ton of programs out there, but I would recommend starting with Couch to 5K. After that there is a free program on Runner's world called Smartcoach. That is what I use for all my training. I would suggest racing at least 1 5K and 1 10K before your final race. Racing is different than training and you need practice at both.

For general running info, I would recommend a subscription to Runner's World. They always have articles that help me with things I never thought about before and they are up to date. You can try a running form book like "ChiRunning" to help get an idea of "how to run".

Couch to 5K - How to do the distance
    ChiRunning - How to run that distance.

Shoes - Go to a specialty running store and have your stride analyzed by a runner. You can usually try out several pair of shoes and find something that works well for your feet. Every time you need a new pair, get your running form re-analyzed. It will likely change as you get the mileage in.

I would also recommend a Road ID from roadid.com. I never really thought about it before but as I got into the distance it made total sense to have one for safety.

Good Luck and enjoy. Take your time and relax and you will get there no problem.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    C25k is a good start, go to a propper sport shop for shoes, you need one with a treadmill so that they can chooses the correct shoe for you.

Fenwick's have such a dept

http://www.upandrunning.co.uk/shops/newcastle.php
  • LisaJayne71
    LisaJayne71 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/

I downloaded these to my iphone and use them... I like his voice and the music and the fact that he doesn't yabber over the top of the music like some of the others... Basically it's the Couch to 5K running program... It's free to download

Good Luck! x
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i just ran my first half-marathon in London at the weekend. :happy:
    I have just taken my time over the year, slowly increasing my distances. I also do other stuff, spin bike, rowing and circuit training. You don't just have to run all the time! Set mini goals, and enter local events, especially 5K races/funruns and then build up to running 10k regularly.
    Make sure you include lots of hill walking/running as the Great North Run has a horrible hill at the end which really hurts if you're not expecting it! The magazine 'Runners World' is an excellent souce of info & motivation.
    Good luck it is totally doable!!
  • k8tk9
    k8tk9 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    5K101 is amazing. I have just completed this. I looked at the Couch to 5K and although they are extremely similar, the increments seemed slightly easier with this one.

There is a podcast which was great, not too much talking and it spurred me on. I can now run 3 miles, without evening thinking about it. If you told me I would have done this 9 weeks ago, I would have thought you were mad!!!
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    You can also download Couch to 5K apps for Droid or iPhones. You can play your own music and it will tell you when to switch from walking to running. I did this program about 1 yr. ago, but never finished. I've been discouraged ever since because I didn't want to start at the beginning all over again when I had worked so hard before. But last week while watching The Biggest Loser they showed 300-400+ lb. people jogging 1 mile. And one of the hosts, Bob said, "Everybody should be able to run 1 mile." So I thought to myself, "If they can do it, I can do it." And the very next day I did. It was slow and probably not pretty, but I ran 1 mile straight without stopping...& it didn't kill me. I actually felt good. The point I'm trying to make is-Even if you're not a runner, you may surprise yourself. I'm learning that I don't give my body the credit it deserves, we can do more than we think we can sometimes.
  • anu_6986
    anu_6986 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    +1 for couch to 5k. Its just amazing :)
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Just checked it out and the C25K sounds like fun and I think I am going to try it as part of my fitness regimen. It's a nice, simple challenge. I tried doing one mile (a ten minute mile, not that great!) on the treadmill the other day and managed it, but I could really use something like this so that I can ease into it a bit more. Thanks for posting this link!
  • Luckymam
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone for replying. I'm really looking forward to looking into everything you guys have said. Cheers!!! xxx:happy: