Weight loss stalled with exercise

Options
Hi all,

I have been successfully losing weight consistently with MFP for a few months now and I have been really happy with my progress. This week I decided to start incorporating some exercise. I burned 200 calories each day on the cross trainer and upped my food intake to 1400 from 1350 so that I wouldnt fall below 1200 calories per day.

I weighed myself this morning and I have stayed the same for the first time in months. Should I eat more???

Stats are
166cm
73.9kg

Replies

• LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem that you've been at it long. It's most likely water retention. Drink more and give it more time c:
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It doesn't seem that you've been at it long. It's most likely water retention. Drink more and give it more time c:
    This .... give it time. At the start of any exercise your body will start to retain water
  • maritsa88
    maritsa88 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I got about the same problem! I use mfp and now i started some exercise slowly and my weigh loss has decreased. I'm trying no to freak out but that ok! i'm trying drinkng 3 lt of water every day but no big weight loss about 200gr every day.Why when we start exercise everything stops? what are we doing wrong or are we overreacting?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Overreacting :-)

As already explained it is water. When you exercise, your muscle retain water as part of the self repair process.
  • leslturn8
    leslturn8 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I dont stress about lack of weightloss as i know ive started insanity program and my muscles are as sore as ever! Ill be weighing in as usual but im not expecting change for a few weeks as to give my body time to adjust to the new exercise. Ive also upped my calories and if by the end of september i hadnt lost id start reconsidering my plan. I also measure, that shows me results of my hard work. I may not lose weight for a while. I know i have like 40lbs to go, however my hard work may convert to 20lb muscle.
    Good luck
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I want to add; the thing to remember about exercise, is exercise isn't meant for weightloss. You do not exercise to lose weight. You eat to lose weight. You exercise to prevent your body from losing muscle, to improve strength, and health. So, really, it makes sense that you do not lose as quickly when you start to exercise. But that's okay. You don't want to lose muscle and stuff xD
    In the end, it's not all about a little number on the scale. It's about improving yourself. And for some, that includes the ability to do physical feats, like to lift hundreds of pounds or run so many miles, or simply to fit in the tiny dress/shirt/pair of pants or what have you :)
    Or all three!
  • laurafinnie1905
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I agree that im not exercising to speed up the weight loss as I was progressing nicely anyway. I want to tone and get fitter but I don't want to scales to stop moving, that defeats what I'm trying to achieve in the long run.

Thanks again all :-)
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Also, a couple days isn't indicative of any patterns at all. Give it a few weeks, and remeasure then.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys.

I agree that im not exercising to speed up the weight loss as I was progressing nicely anyway. I want to tone and get fitter but I don't want to scales to stop moving, that defeats what I'm trying to achieve in the long run.

Thanks again all :-)

You see my ticker down there? It hasn't budged in at least two months. And yet, people keep telling me how fabulous I look and today I got called a "skinny minny." It's all about body composition. I'm okay with never attaining my goal weight if I can drop one more dress size. Who cares about the number on the scale? :drinker: