Diet coke chicken

Options
I was actually dreading trying this everyday I google low calorie main meals but who would have thought 1 can of diet coke a cup of low fat ketchup would be a great marinade.

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wait, does this mean there's a HIGH FAT ketchup? :huh:
  • AngelicxAnnihilation
    Options
    ehh... that sounds rather disgusting.. but to each their own I guess :P
  • vonstigator
    Options
    I dunno :noway: i calculated each chicken breast with the marinade to be 160 calories and had a side of salad with it :indifferent:
  • vonstigator
    Options

i was dreading having it but kind of had a Worcestershire sauce taste to it
  • HealthyVitamins
    HealthyVitamins Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Please weigh that chicken, because 160 calories seems extremely low for a whole chicken breast plus marinade.
  • vonstigator
    Options
    It was a small chicken fillet.

1 calorie for diet coke & 30 calories for ketchup
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I am currently avoiding marinades at the moment because they seem to be very difficult to estimate calories for. I mean I can calculate the calories for the entire marinade but how much is contained in the food when its finished marinading.

Doh sorry its just come to me while typing lol, I guess that I could actually weigh a chicken breast for example, before and after prior to cooking. :embarassed:
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I actually have some diet coke in the house. No ketchup but I do have some HP fruity sauce. What does the diet coke "add" in terms of taste, texture? How much to use?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,720 Member
    Options
    I make cheat's teriyaki with regular coke and soy sauce. It's a popular dish among students in China apparently. The acids in the coke do tenderize the chicken. If you use regular coke, it braises down to a syrupy caramelized teriyaki style sauce. A can of regular coke is what we used to bring if cooking outdoors. Easy to transport marinade for ribs on the BBQ while camping, etc.
  • roughneckswife
    roughneckswife Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE it! It tastes like BBQ chicken to me!
  • teamAmelia
    teamAmelia Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh:
    Wait, does this mean there's a HIGH FAT ketchup? :huh:
    :laugh: Maybe she meant low sodium.
  • Mechanikitty
    Mechanikitty Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Oh, I wonder if this would work with Quorn chicken... I shall have to find out. I actually wouldn't mind using FF cola for a marinade if it went syrupy.

I think this would work best on a grill for me with some greaseproof paper.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've had it. I love it.
  • slim4health56
    slim4health56 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I must admit that I am currently avoiding marinades at the moment because they seem to be very difficult to estimate calories for. I mean I can calculate the calories for the entire marinade but how much is contained in the food when its finished marinading.

Doh sorry its just come to me while typing lol, I guess that I could actually weigh a chicken breast for example, before and after prior to cooking. :embarassed:
    Well, the chicken will lose some juice during the cooking process so might I suggest you measure the amount of marinade you have left at the bottom of the pan and subtract that from the overall calories and then divide by portion.

The recipe for Coke chicken has been around for 60 years or more - long before diet drinks were on the market (excluding Fresca and Tab). Originally, one added brown sugar to the concoction of Coke and ketchup, along with a bit of chopped onion. It was absolutely delicious, but I can't speak to the issue of diet Coke without the sugar and doubt the diet Coke will reduce down to a syrup if boiled. As a marinade, it might be fine. Let us know how it turns out!
  • JenumsC1979
    JenumsC1979 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have made this using diet coke and used passata instead of ketchup to take the calories down - ie more passatta for same cals! it was lovely, like others I was weary of it! I threw in peppers onions and mushrooms too upping my veg intake, served over rice and really enjoyable :) as others have said a kind of smokey flavour!

thanks for reminding me I may make this soon again lol