Help with losing my stubborn belly fat

Options
A little background to better assist you assist me :happy:

When I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of the year I was 191 pounds. This was my weight in January, but I didn't start eating right and working out until March and by that time I somehow went from 191 to 185. I am not down to 143. The weight is coming off even slower now, but I'm fine with that. As long as I can see progress, i'm not going to stress. My goal is to get down to 130.

Here's my problem, although I've lost 48 pounds, my stomach doesn't seem to want to get with the program. I can tell a change in my belly fat from the time I start up until now, but it's not enough. I want to get my stomach flat, but wit only 12 pounds left to lose to reach my goal I don't see how I'm going to do that. For the past 90 days I have been doing Jillian Michael's body revolution and lost about 25 pounds. Prior to doing BR I did a few other of her DVD workouts. Now that I'm finished with the 90 days I am starting over and I'm also trying to run. I am the worst runner ever, but each time I run I can see the progress that I've made. I'm eating healthy and drinking plenty of water (pretty much all I drink), and I workout 6 days a week. I run once, maybe twice a week. As I get better I would like to run more often, but knowing my track history with running I don't want to push myself too hard in the beginning.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of my belly fat? I was thinking I need to increase my cardio to burn off the fat.

Thanks for any and all advice and I'm pretty much new here, so feel free to add me as a friend :wink:

Replies

• debra6590
    debra6590 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I cannot tell by your name if you are male or female. I have issues with stomach fat. My belly is larger than the rest of me due to childbirth and having a diastasis recti - separation of the abdomen. I have to do specific exercises to tone this part of my body and not do any crunches as they make it worse and separate it further. I cut out bread and have to engage my TVA (transverse abdominal muscles) constantly.

If this is familiar to you then you need to do a specific set of workouts to tone and draw back this part of your body. If you are male then I do not know and if you are without a child it can still apply if you became very overweight but I doubt it.

Anyway just trying to help
  • cingle87
    cingle87 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

When I started my weight loss journey at the beginning of the year I was 191 pounds. This was my weight in January, but I didn't start eating right and working out until March and by that time I somehow went from 191 to 185. I am not down to 143. The weight is coming off even slower now, but I'm fine with that. As long as I can see progress, i'm not going to stress. My goal is to get down to 130.

Here's my problem, although I've lost 48 pounds, my stomach doesn't seem to want to get with the program. I can tell a change in my belly fat from the time I start up until now, but it's not enough. I want to get my stomach flat, but wit only 12 pounds left to lose to reach my goal I don't see how I'm going to do that. For the past 90 days I have been doing Jillian Michael's body revolution and lost about 25 pounds. Prior to doing BR I did a few other of her DVD workouts. Now that I'm finished with the 90 days I am starting over and I'm also trying to run. I am the worst runner ever, but each time I run I can see the progress that I've made. I'm eating healthy and drinking plenty of water (pretty much all I drink), and I workout 6 days a week. I run once, maybe twice a week. As I get better I would like to run more often, but knowing my track history with running I don't want to push myself too hard in the beginning.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting rid of my belly fat? I was thinking I need to increase my cardio to burn off the fat.

Thanks for any and all advice and I'm pretty much new here, so feel free to add me as a friend :wink:

Couple of things:

1) you can't spot reduce, your body with unfortuantyl will decide where and when it wants to lose fat.

2) Increasing cardio to burn more fat is both stupid and wrong. They way to increase the loss of fat is via increasing of resistance training i.e. weight lifting. While you have been losing weight, the weight loss hasn't been soley from fat its from fat and lean body mass i.e. muscle.

You may be suffering from whats called skinny fat, if you have done little to no resistance trainging you have been losing lbm and fat. What lifting does, is tell your body to keep hold onto as much lbm as it can and to use fat stores as energy, this then decreases your bf% while mainting your lbm.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Eat at a calorie deficit.
    Lose body fat %.
    :flowerforyou:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Lose body fat %.

This
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Lose body fat %.

Yup!
  • Jessfa1990
    Options

Couple of things:

1) you can't spot reduce, your body with unfortuantyl will decide where and when it wants to lose fat.

2) Increasing cardio to burn more fat is both stupid and wrong. They way to increase the loss of fat is via increasing of resistance training i.e. weight lifting. While you have been losing weight, the weight loss hasn't been soley from fat its from fat and lean body mass i.e. muscle.

You may be suffering from whats called skinny fat, if you have done little to no resistance trainging you have been losing lbm and fat. What lifting does, is tell your body to keep hold onto as much lbm as it can and to use fat stores as energy, this then decreases your bf% while mainting your lbm.

I am not solely doing cardio. Body revolution is both cardio and strength training, mainly strength training. Cardio is only twice a week and strength is 4 days.
  • Jessfa1990
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Lose body fat %.

I'm eating 1,200 calories a day and have been for the past 90 days
  • Jessfa1990
    Options
    I cannot tell by your name if you are male or female. I have issues with stomach fat. My belly is larger than the rest of me due to childbirth and having a diastasis recti - separation of the abdomen. I have to do specific exercises to tone this part of my body and not do any crunches as they make it worse and separate it further. I cut out bread and have to engage my TVA (transverse abdominal muscles) constantly.

If this is familiar to you then you need to do a specific set of workouts to tone and draw back this part of your body. If you are male then I do not know and if you are without a child it can still apply if you became very overweight but I doubt it.

Anyway just trying to help

Female.. Sorry, I wasn't on my own laptop to upload a picture, one is up now. :smile: This is not familiar to me and I have no children.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Lose body fat %.

This.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
    Lose body fat %.

I'm eating 1,200 calories a day and have been for the past 90 days

Eat more. Figure out your TDEE. Google. :flowerforyou:
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs and increase your protein. Fastest way to lose belly fat.