why when i log food i gain?

Options
it sems that ever time i try to log in my food i gain weight but if i just dont log i lose it. i told the wife that and she felt it odd told her would have to start taking pictures of my shrinking belly with out logging my food

Replies

• EvilDave14
    EvilDave14 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think I have this problem. When I log it makes me think too much about food & makes me want more food.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    Are you not weighing your food?

Or maybe when you are logging it you are eating too little, which can cause gains and by not logging it, you are eating the proper amount
  • cmoore806
    Options

Or maybe when you are logging it you are eating too little, which can cause gains and by not logging it, you are eating the proper amount

The key to logging is accuracy, which requires a lot of measuring if you arent yet accustomed to making accurate guesses without being way off.

"I dont know how "eating too litile...can cause gains" as mentioned previously because there is no way to gain weight unless you are eating/drinking too much.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

The key to logging is accuracy, which requires a lot of measuring if you arent yet accustomed to making accurate guesses without being way off.

"I dont know how "eating too litile...can cause gains" as mentioned previously because there is no way to gain weight unless you are eating/drinking too much.

The gains are cause from eating too little, which slows your metabolism. When you eat more on a slowed metabolism, what happens? It gets stored.

I agree with the previous poster.... invest is a digital food scale and start weighing EVERYTHING.
    Also, make sure you are eating at least the minimum requirements for a person. For a male, that's 1800 calories. You need to eat at least that. Don't undercut your calorie goal. Creating too big of a deficit will stall your loss.

Good luck.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Your diary isn't open so hard to say....

But you should be using a scale to weigh your food.

Eating too little will not cause weight gain....calories in>calories out=weight gain so the reverse is true as well.
  • scookiemonster
    scookiemonster Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think I have this problem. When I log it makes me think too much about food & makes me want more food.

This. It's a hard balance for me because not logging means I might not be paying as close attention to what I'm eating and I don't really know how many calories I've had. However, when I do log, I often end up obsessing way too much about food, and spending half the day sitting around thinking about what I'll eat next, when I can eat, how much more I can eat... I end up very food focused, which means I end up hungrier and wanting to eat more. I think I also feel like if I have calories left I need to fulfill them, even if I'm not super hungry.

I'm working on just paying better attention to my body's cues and eating in smaller portions throughout the day so that I don't end up over stuffing myself in one meal and then being hungry later. For the month of July I weighed and logged everything and lost nothing. In August I couldn't log because I was just too busy and I ended up losing 2 pounds, even though I was traveling (which usually leads to a gain, in my past experience). So, going forward, I'm going to try being a little more intuitive and less numbers focused and see if that works or not.
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    The way to avoid thinking about food all day is simple...plan your day's menu the night before. Then there is nothing to think about. It's not the logging that's causing the problem, its the head that thinks it does.