Sodium Sucks!

Options
The food budget was tight last week. So I ate a lot of cheap foods, and I averaged 3,500 to 4,000 mg of sodium per day. I got on the scale tonight and discovered that I had no loss. Granted, I weighed after eating when I usually weigh in the mornings. Still, I suspect that my body is retaining water. In fact, I feel bloated and nasty and I can taste saltiness in my mouth even though I haven't had food for seven hours.

On Saturday, I'm going to get some fresh meat, fruit and veggies and kick this high-sodium slop to the curb. And I'm going to load up on water all weekend and weigh again on Monday.

Sodium was created by the devil!

Replies

• joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    hopefully you do not also have high blood pressure like I do. Sodium really is de debil.
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a harsh mistress.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I went way over on sodium today. I expect to be at least 2 pounds heavier tomorrow morning than I was this morning. I feel bloated and nasty even though I'm barely over on calories for the day.
    I thought that was the moon who is the harsh mistress?
  • paul7799
    paul7799 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I went way over on sodium today. I expect to be at least 2 pounds heavier tomorrow morning than I was this morning. I feel bloated and nasty even though I'm barely over on calories for the day.
    I thought that was the moon who is the harsh mistress?

Cool points . . . off the scale for getting that reference.
  • Quieau
    Quieau Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I had a slow week and did the same analysis ... (wish we could track more than 5 categories on our diary page!) I found that my sodium was way over on some days, surprisingly high. Main culprits were cheese and meat (lean ham, london broil) from the deli. I'll look for lower sodium when I have to go back, but for this week, oven-roasting some chickens!

MSG probably isn't helping me either. It all boils down to cooking everything I can from scratch and not relying on convenience foods. They're just too damned ......... convenient! I'm really learning that low-cal, low-fat and low sugar just aren't enough ...
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    you do realise that sodium is a REQUIRED micronutrient right? And it doesn't hinder fat loss so just don't obsess over short term scale numbers.
  • SinomenJen
    SinomenJen Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Sodium is not my friend I have high blood pressure, one kidney, and the other one isn't exactly happy either. My weight will fluctuate upwards of 5lbs if I go over 2000mg. I have been trying to stay under 1500mg, thinking I was awesome, and then my doctor says she wants me to drop under 1200mg,, I don't like her very much :sad:
  • giffy2803
    giffy2803 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I recommend you stop drinking diet soda as it contains sodium. Instead drink diet rite soda. It has zero in everything except it does taste like soda. Also, mix a little lemon juice in your drinking water. It helps to rid your body of sodium. You should be able to buy diet rite soda at your local grocery store. If not Kroger sells it. It does come in many different flavors.
  • giffy2803
    giffy2803 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, if you wear rings on your hands you can tell if your body is retaining water if you have to struggle to get your rings off. Your rings should slide off easy. Just a opinion.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Give the extra sodium you don't want to me, I need it:
    http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-runners/pass-salt?page=single
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I have my sodium :devil: set to 1500 mg/day (high blood pressure). About half the time, I go a little over and sometimes I go a LOT over, but tracking it helps a lot to keep it at a reasonable level.

Just because sodium is required by the body doesn't mean you can't overdo it. Fat is also required, but if you go way over, consistently, you won't lose weight. Balance is the key. :happy: