Post Race (1/2 marathon for me) workout plan

Hi! I am running my first 1/2 marathon in a few weeks here and I am already nervous about what will happen when it is over! I don't want to maintain 10-12 mile runs throughout the winter (I live in North Idaho and would have to maintain on a treadmill!) but I want a good plan to keep me going so that I don't have to start from scratch in the spring. I am thinking about picking another half in the later spring to keep me motivated. My question is, is there a good plan out there for coming out of a half, or does someone with experience have a "this is what I always do" to share that works well. I plan to run on the treadmill a few times a week, and do a toning video 1-2 times a week, but don't know what duration I should keep to in order to stay in good shape for the next big run.

Thank you in advance!

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hal Higdon has a winter training plan than you could follow, or modify a little to suit your needs. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51239/Winter-Running-Training-Program Last Winter I am pretty sure I was running 4 days a week at that point, 3 - 6 miles during the week, with some 10 mile runs on the weekends (not every weekend). I live in southern PA, though, and only had to run in snow a couple times. I had some problems with getting sick too, so only got around 60 miles each in in November and December (compared to my usual at least 100). Just keep a good base - get at least an 8 mile long run in on occasion, and definitely do a spring half. That is my favorite time to do them!
  • rachelmaria33
    rachelmaria33 Posts: 16 Member
    Awesome! I am using His half marathon trainer and have thought it great. Thanks for the idea!!
  • aynhagenbarth
    aynhagenbarth Posts: 75 Member
    awesome! I'm super excited to try out the winter training program!!