30 Day Shred-Does this modification sound like a good idea?

Options
So I do like 30 day shred, and I've done it for about 10 days straight one time and saw GREAT results with how my body looked. I never looked so toned in my life after just 10 days. Unfortunately I had to stop because of my changing work hours and just a lot of family issues going on.

Anyways, I'm gonna start again!!! But as much as I love 30DS, I also want to do way more cardio in addition to what it already offers (it's only about 6 minutes of cardio for the whole thing). I've heard some people say they do 30DS every OTHER DAY, and do some sort of cardio or other strength training (running, zumba, pilates, zumba) or any other workouts in between. But the thing is, I don't wanna take breaks doing 30DS by doing other workouts on other days and 30DS only on some days... I wanna do it all throughout the month consecutively, because that's what has given me results. But at the same time I don't want to do a 40 minute cardio workout, THEN the 20-25 min 30DS EVERYDAY 'cause I would burn out after all of that.

So I had an idea...I like the strength and ab exercises, because they're mostly what made my body get in great shape. I wanted to add MORE cardio so that the muscles can really show even more (I know there's cardio in there but it's not quite enough). So instead of only doing 30DS every other day in order to incorporate other cardio, I was wondering if I could just start out with ANY cardio workout of my choice for 30 minutes, then press play on the 30DS but ONLY do the strength and ab exercises from 30DS and skip the cardio parts (so I won't burn out)?

I figured that by doing just the strength/ab exercises with some other type of cardio that lasts even longer, I would get better results. 'Cause I've spent the last 3 weeks doing random cardio/toning exercises on youtube. Sure I lost a little weight but I just looked like a skinnier version of my fat self, if you get what i mean (no change in muscle definition or anything)...compare that to those 10 days of 30DS I did before, and I got more results with the 30ds.

I apologize for the lengthy post :( But if you can...Please do give me advice :) I wanted to know if this would be a good idea, so that I would be able to still do a majority of 30DS on consecutive days.

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You know it's perfectly ok to just put your own workout together, right? Do whatever you wanna do
  • LorienCoffeeBean
    LorienCoffeeBean Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    there is no real rule about how to do a work out video. do whatever works for you and keeps you moving and motivated :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    You know it's perfectly ok to just put your own workout together, right? Do whatever you wanna do
    THIS. There isn't a magic workout, just like there isn't a magic diet to lose weight and get in better fitness shape. What counts more is your calorie deficit and they intensity you put into your workout.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    tl dr.... does eye twitching burn calories?....cause i plan to workout later but just did some considerable eye twitching and i don't want to burn out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    tl dr.... does eye twitching burn calories?....cause i plan to workout later but just did some considerable eye twitching and i don't want to burn out.

Just be sure to drink your recovery shake and you should be good to go
  • staplebug
    Options
    I find that the cardio intervals are pretty intense, and they're meant to be that way. Breaking up strength training with high intensity cardio intervals burns a ton more calories than just doing the strength training alone. That's how Jillian designed it to be. If it were me, I would do the every other day thing (or break up your week into 4 shred days and 2 cardio days) and on my cardio days, I would make sure it was also interval training to get the most out of it. That's basically what I did before I got pregnant.
  • chillakiss
    chillakiss Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I know it's okay to, but I wanted to know if you guys thought it would be MORE effective than just doing 30DS alone.
  • chillakiss
    chillakiss Posts: 33 Member
    Options

I know it's perfectly okay, lol :) I was asking if you would think it would be a good idea or if it would be more effective than doing the workout alone. :)
  • AlterJ
    Options
    Why dont you just do the cardio parts longer? So, where its situps-jumping-pushups or something like that, do the same thing, just instead of jumping for 5 mins, do 10.
    Or do those during different times of the day, like run before breakfast and 30ds when youre home in the evening