Vegan Hiking Food Ideas??

Options
I'm going hiking with my friend soon and I need ideas for meals/snacks that aren't completely loaded with calories, are lightweight-ish (I have to carry it... so cans, etc are not ideal) and vegan.

Any suggestions out there? =)

Replies

• sallyLunn
    Options
    How far are you hiking? Is it a day hike or are you backpacking into someplace?
  • thelgeson
    Options
    Kid clif bars and homemade trail mix are a good start....
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Fruit leathers are tasty. If you are just day hiking, fresh fruit or veggies. Nuts...
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    check out ohsheglows.com
  • meeshal
    Options
    It's a 3 day hike (well, one full day and two half days to allow for travel time to and from)
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but I do tend to eat mostly vegetarian when I'm on the trail because meat spoils.

Box meals are great if you repackage them in zip loc bags. When I'm hiking, I prepare them with non-dairy creamer instead of milk. Any kind of dehydrated beans and rice is delicious. Basically, if you can add water to it, it's good for dinner. (instant soup, ect.)

Instant oatmeal can be eaten straight out of the envelope, just pour the hot water in slowly, fold the top down and put it somewhere where you won't knock it over while the water soaks in.

Trail mix and fruit leathers....I don't like energy bars particularly. Natural fruit leathers taste like candy on the trail. Put together your own trail mix from your favorite nuts, dried fruits and whatever vegans use instead of chocolate. Trail mix is good because the different ingredients release energy at different speeds. (does that make sense?)

Actually, everything tastes great in the woods. Especially by the third day. You'll be using a lot of energy if you are wearing a pack. You might want to run some numbers. Also, if you don't eat enough, you will be miserable because nothing is worse then being hungry on the trail.

Any kind of herbal tea is a nice change from water in the evening and remember, if you drink coffee to get either the Folgers singles (like tea bags) or take a little coffee press with you.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I would make some vegan jerky (soak seitan in liquid smoke, and then dehydrate), trail mix (nuts, dried fruit and coconut flakes) and even though it'll be a wee bit heavy- take some peanut butter. There are small travel size tins of peanut butter, but I would just fill a small tupperware container. Never know when a spare container could come in handy.

Another option is to make dehydrated soups. Take lentils (par boiled at home), dried carrots and dry noodles- place them in a ziploc FREEZER bag. Add hot water at camp- voila, soup.

Good trails and happy camping
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Larabars. Very small and dense with calories. Almost all, if not all, are Vegan. Have a great time.
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I read a book called "born to run" (amazing!!) It's kinda the history of running and a large part of the book is about this indian tribe that lives in the copper canyons in mexico. They run tens of miles a day (30-40) and their stable super food is Chia seeds mixed with lemon juice and honey. When you add liquid to chia seeds they form a gel and the honey adds a 'good carb' kick and sweetness of course. It's an all natural, vegan, energy gel! and it's delicious!!
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    When we did hiking in high school we were told to take "scroggin" its basically a mix of dried fruit (whatever you like, apricots, apple, dates, prunes, saltanas, you name it), as well as nuts- almonds and cashews etc, nothing salted!, and something with sugar, like chocolate (not vegan I know- could use soy chocolate? do they make that?) and gummy bears or something similar if that has gelatin in it(not sure). that way you are getting all protein fat and simple carbs to be your energy sources.

hope it helps
  • tigerguitara
    Options
    Nuts and/or granola - may be high in calories but good nutrition especially for exercising
  • meeshal
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! =) I'm going to end up going with the following + some fruit too:

Breakfast
    - Soy Milk Powder
    - Cheerios
    - Apple

Lunch
    - Pita bread
    - Spinach
    - Cucumber
    - Chickpeas/Low sodium baked beans (canned...)
    - Sweet chilli sauce

Dinner
    - Cuppa soup
    - Chickpeas & Dehydrated peas/ Dehydrated pasta meal
    - Couscous
    - Tea

Snacks (can't take nuts as my hiking buddy is allergic)
    - Dried fruit chewy coconut covered things
    - Nerds (fizzy lollies)
    - Wasabi peas
    - Sultanas
    - Chocolate bar

& for those who were wondering, yes there is vegan chocolate out there, and technically all dark chocolate should be vegan because it shouldn't have milk! =)
  • Rinny_D
    Rinny_D Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I LOVE dark chocolate, by far the best type! :smile: :happy: